Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
JimHam

Install Electric Leveling Jacks

I want to install electric leveling jacks on my Cougar X-lite 21 RBS to replace the manual scissor jacks that came on it. My unit has the fully enclosed underbelly which complicates things a bit but it looks like that is just a matter of removing the plastic "buttons" that attach it and reinstall with new "buttons" when I'm done.

I have lots of questions but first is choosing the system. I have seen Lippert wireless control jacks (which I like), regular wired jacks that don't fold up, folding electric jacks (Bullseye) and twin scissor jacks with electric motors that claim to reduce motion due to their wide mounting system (Ultra Fab). What I don't want is jacks hanging halfway down to the ground which WILL get torn off eventually because I like to go places besides interstate RV parks.

I would welcome suggestions from folks that have different types of systems and also advice from DIY'rs who have installed electric jacks on their units. Anybody done this that could help me out?
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Tbos

The ones I've seen on TTs usually mount to the frame without having to remove the underbelly. I'm curious why you want to replace the existing jacks. I use a battery powered wireless drill and can do all the jacks quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHam View Post
I want to install electric leveling jacks on my Cougar X-lite 21 RBS to replace the manual scissor jacks that came on it. My unit has the fully enclosed underbelly which complicates things a bit but it looks like that is just a matter of removing the plastic "buttons" that attach it and reinstall with new "buttons" when I'm done.

I have lots of questions but first is choosing the system. I have seen Lippert wireless control jacks (which I like), regular wired jacks that don't fold up, folding electric jacks (Bullseye) and twin scissor jacks with electric motors that claim to reduce motion due to their wide mounting system (Ultra Fab). What I don't want is jacks hanging halfway down to the ground which WILL get torn off eventually because I like to go places besides interstate RV parks.

I would welcome suggestions from folks that have different types of systems and also advice from DIY'rs who have installed electric jacks on their units. Anybody done this that could help me out?
Are you talking about leveling jacks or stabilizing jacks? Leveling actually support the weight of the trailer and raise/lower it to achieve level. Stabilizer jacks, which most travel trailers have, drop and stabilize the trailer once it is leveled. The manual scissor jacks are stabilizers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
jtrevill

Same question as above. If you are looking for leveling jacks - I just finished installing the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 system on my 5th Wheel. Took a bit of time and effort to do myself, but wasn't too hard and saved about $1200 in installation fees.

They work awesome!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
Same question as above. If you are looking for leveling jacks - I just finished installing the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 system on my 5th Wheel. Took a bit of time and effort to do myself, but wasn't too hard and saved about $1200 in installation fees.

They work awesome!
Just as an fyi: I wanted the Ground Control 3.0 installed on my travel trailer. The service manager at CW said he wouldn't do it; the frame on the TT wasn't strong enough to support it?? I do know I see new TTs coming out with auto leveling systems and he said he wasn't aware that they built bigger frames for them so.....??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just as an fyi: I wanted the Ground Control 3.0 installed on my travel trailer. The service manager at CW said he wouldn't do it; the frame on the TT wasn't strong enough to support it?? I do know I see new TTs coming out with auto leveling systems and he said he wasn't aware that they built bigger frames for them so.....??
Many TTs do not have a frame strong enough as they were never designed for the stresses imposed on MH and 5er frames. Those 'lite' models especially could see frame twisting or bending. Not all TTs will have the levelers as an option either. Installed aftermarket prices are around $4000. At some point trading on a new model with auto-level from the factory makes more sense.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Many TTs do not have a frame strong enough as they were never designed for the stresses imposed on MH and 5er frames. Those 'lite' models especially could see frame twisting or bending. Not all TTs will have the levelers as an option either. Installed aftermarket prices are around $4000. At some point trading on a new model with auto-level from the factory makes more sense.
I seen several Cougar TT models, and a FR Rockwood pull behind with the aftermarker Lippert system installed at my local winter RV show in Detroit. My concern is the same, frame rigidity and strength of these ultra lights. I'd invest upfront on a manufacturer's option with engineering changes to the frame from the factory. IMO, it's a scary aftermarket retro install.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
jtrevill

Looks like Lippert has a setup specifically for TT's.... Might take a look at them:

http://www.lci1.com/ground-control-tt#about
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I seen several Cougar TT models, and a FR Rockwood pull behind with the aftermarker Lippert system installed at my local winter RV show in Detroit. My concern is the same, frame rigidity and strength of these ultra lights. I'd invest upfront on a manufacturer's option with engineering changes to the frame from the factory. IMO, it's a scary aftermarket retro install.
Buster ~~ on standard Cougar TTs but how about on the 'lite' models? The only difference between a factory and aftermarket install should be the price. It is unlikely, but possible, a builder would increase frame size from one year to the next. As Lippert supplies nearly all frames I'd check with them 1st. Had GC 3.0 on my last 5er and there was no question it would certainly be on this one and any that follow.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
JimHam

Good information, I did not think about differences in frame strength. Some of the literature I read warned about possible frame twisting now that I think of it. I was talking about leveling jacks that support the weight of the trailer and allow you to level it. Ultra Fab uses a scissor jack type with independent motors and claim they can lift up to 9000 lbs. I am just tired of getting out the leveling blocks, guessing at how many, backing on them, checking level, pulling forward again and adjusting etc.etc.

Since I posted this I did some more research and found the Anderson leveling system which looked a lot easier to use than blocks and a whole lot cheaper than adding an electric leveling system. Ordered it and hope to try it out this weekend. Thanks for your input I will keep you posted on what I decided to do.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Good information, I did not think about differences in frame strength. Some of the literature I read warned about possible frame twisting now that I think of it. I was talking about leveling jacks that support the weight of the trailer and allow you to level it. Ultra Fab uses a scissor jack type with independent motors and claim they can lift up to 9000 lbs. I am just tired of getting out the leveling blocks, guessing at how many, backing on them, checking level, pulling forward again and adjusting etc.etc.

Since I posted this I did some more research and found the Anderson leveling system which looked a lot easier to use than blocks and a whole lot cheaper than adding an electric leveling system. Ordered it and hope to try it out this weekend. Thanks for your input I will keep you posted on what I decided to do.
HUGE difference in cost! I'm a bit old so after pulling in I just unhitch the 5er and push the auto-level button. Cannot tell you how much I appreciate that button.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #12
slow

Quote:
...........Since I posted this I did some more research and found the Anderson leveling system which looked a lot easier to use than blocks and a whole lot cheaper than adding an electric leveling system. Ordered it and hope to try it out this weekend. ............
Now that you are getting the Anderson levelers, spend another $150 for the LevelMatePro and you will have everything you need for easy setup.

Here is a review on the LevelMatePro: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25609
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Javi

At my age the Auto Level Button is my best friend.

Javi
Old 04-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #14
skikrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
Looks like Lippert has a setup specifically for TT's.... Might take a look at them:

http://www.lci1.com/ground-control-tt#about
That is the system that came factory installed on my Sprinter 29BH, the only difference is my front jacks are pointed to the outside edge instead of the front.

Really like the way it works, especially the hitch height recall and it works with my remote.
2006 Forest River Work and Play 18LT (up for sale)
skikrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
JimHam

That Lippert leveling system looks slick! Might be a little pricey??? Anderson levers arrive from Amazon tomorrow so I will be trying them out this weekend. Might have to get me one of those wireless level units though.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
ImTravis

I have the Anderson levelers and Levelmate Pro.. awesome combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KKYBURLI11&freq=&units= english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KKYBURLI11&freq=&units= english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Tags
jacks, leveling