Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
Timcharlie

2016 Cougar 32FBS Water Heater Bypass Valve

Hey guys,
I am thinking it is getting time to de-winterize my travel trailer and I have a question about the location of the bypass water valve. I did not winterize the camper, the dealership did this for me, but I am thinking the de-winterization process should not be to complicated?.....

But I am not sure where the bypass valve is for the water heater. ANy idea?

Thanks

Tim
Timcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
BuxCamper

The bypass valves(s) are usually located at the water heater itself. From the outside of the camper you should be able to identify where the water heater is located. From the inside at the same spot you will probably find a cabinet. If you can't see the water heater then it's probably hiding behind an access panel you have to pull some screws on.

In my bullet I need to pull a panel at the bottom of one of my galley cabinets to access the power cord storage area. Another panel in that area has a hole that reveals a small valve lever. Flip that and water should now flow to the water heater.

Note that I am more familiar with a three valve bypass set up to a water heater. That would shut off cold to and hot from the heater and open the path between them. It appears Keystone uses a single three way valve and a check valve at the water heater output.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When standing outside, facing the water heater, the 1/4 turn valve is located behind the water heater in the lower left corner of your Suburban water heater. So, going inside, locating the water heater and facing it, the valve will be in the lower right hand corner. (it's in the same place, but you've turned around when facing the heater front from outside, back from inside)/

DO NOT turn the valve at this time. The first step is to flush all the antifreeze from the lines using either fresh water from the city connection or from the fresh water tank. Once the lines have been flushed, open the low point drains and empty any residual antifreeze that is collected there. Reinstall the low point caps, THEN it's safe to turn the 1/4 turn valve which will divert water into the water heater. Allow it to fill completely (do not open the relief valve on the outside of the water heater). Once full, purge any air from all the faucet taps (remember the outside kitchen/shower taps). Then turn on the water heater to start heating water.

Don't forget to sanitize your water lines/fresh water tank if you plan to dry camp. Many people also choose to sanitize their "city water section" (plumbing runs and water heater) others choose to omit sanitizing that part of the water system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Timcharlie

Thanks guys for the feedback and instructions. That will definitely help me figure out what I am doing. I will check it out this weekend.

Tim
Timcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
BuxCamper

I typically sanitize the water system (with bleach, instructions in Keystone and Flo-Jet pump manuals) before I un-bypass the water heater. This way I don't have to fill it with 6 gallons of bleach water. Once you start running the water heater normally, the heat will sanitize it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, heat, heater, water, water heater