Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
bridge4d

Here's one of my Trailer King tires...or what's left of it. This happened this last weekend on I-10 doing about 60mph. Strangely enough the tire still had about 45lbs of pressure in it. They have maybe 10K miles on them. I'm having the remaining Trailer King tires replaced with Goodyear Marathons tomorrow.

I've taken my trailer to Discount tire and had them replace one of the Trailer Kings that had a slow leak about a year ago. Wasn't a problem. It was a little tricky backing up close enough to one of their bays where the air tools could reach as the parking lot was somewhat small. I wouldn't want remove the wheels myself even if I had a jack and jack stands capable of supporting 12K lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_103854.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	10945  

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge4d View Post
Here's one of my Trailer King tires...or what's left of it. This happened this last weekend on I-10 doing about 60mph. Strangely enough the tire still had about 45lbs of pressure in it. They have maybe 10K miles on them. I'm having the remaining Trailer King tires replaced with Goodyear Marathons tomorrow.

I've taken my trailer to Discount tire and had them replace one of the Trailer Kings that had a slow leak about a year ago. Wasn't a problem. It was a little tricky backing up close enough to one of their bays where the air tools could reach as the parking lot was somewhat small. I wouldn't want remove the wheels myself even if I had a jack and jack stands capable of supporting 12K lbs.
Since this is the internet and we all say what we think....I'm not sure those Marathons are much of an improvement over what you have. Talk to DT about alternatives. They are selling a Hartland that sounds exclusive to them. They can order Maxxis as well. They may have Carlisle HD in stock too, which would be a second choice after Maxxis.
If you are League City area the DT on Decker Drive in Baytown has plenty of room and is just up Hwy 146.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #23
Desert185

Quote:

Ditto on Maxxis or Carlisle.

Noting your avatar, are you at JSC?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #24
bridge4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Since this is the internet and we all say what we think....I'm not sure those Marathons are much of an improvement over what you have. Talk to DT about alternatives. They are selling a Hartland that sounds exclusive to them. They can order Maxxis as well. They may have Carlisle HD in stock too, which would be a second choice after Maxxis.
If you are League City area the DT on Decker Drive in Baytown has plenty of room and is just up Hwy 146.
Yeah, after doing a bit more research I'm starting to think the Marathons might not be the way to go. I was going that direction because I've already got one on there but, I'd rather spend more for piece of mind.

2017 F350 Dually
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Yeah, after doing a bit more research I'm starting to think the Marathons might not be the way to go. I was going that direction because I've already got one on there but, I'd rather spend more for piece of mind.
Maybe keep the Marathon for a spare.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #26
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:

I installed Duravis R250 tires and have never looked back. If you get a chance to see one in person, you will be impressed. These tires are built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I installed Duravis R250 tires and have never looked back. If you get a chance to see one in person, you will be impressed. These tires are built like a tank.

Well, once again, check the load rating. Not advised for heavier trailers. No doubt that Bridgestone makes good tires, but the load rating on a trailer is really important.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #28
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Well, once again, check the load rating. Not advised for heavier trailers. No doubt that Bridgestone makes good tires, but the load rating on a trailer is really important.

Rated higher than the ST tires they replaced. Do you really think tires would get replaced with a lower rating ? LOL.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #29
bridge4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Ditto on Maxxis or Carlisle.

Noting your avatar, are you at JSC?
I was up until about 5 years ago. Now I'm in the private sector...so I can afford to RV

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I cancelled my appointment to get the Marathons installed. After spending a considerable amount of time researching and reading up on the experience of others I think I've settled on the Sailun S637. I've yet to find a negative review or comment about them and it seems my 16" stock rims will handle the 110psi.

2017 F350 Dually
Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #30
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Rated higher than the ST tires they replaced. Do you really think tires would get replaced with a lower rating ? LOL.

Well, it would seem so if those tires you are recommending are installed on his trailer. They may be OK for yours, but not on a 327RES. I'm just trying to point out what might not be obvious to everyone involved.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #31
gearhead

Quote:
I was up until about 5 years ago. Now I'm in the private sector...so I can afford to RV

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I cancelled my appointment to get the Marathons installed. After spending a considerable amount of time researching and reading up on the experience of others I think I've settled on the Sailun S637. I've yet to find a negative review or comment about them and it seems my 16" stock rims will handle the 110psi.
If your wheels have 8 lugs, they MAY be OK. If 6 lugs, I would do some more digging. Look for a weight and/or a pressure rating stamped on the backside of the wheel.
But....there is a recent thread on here with a copy of a email from a Sailun rep saying it's OK to run them at less than 110psi, if you do not exceed weight ratings for that psi.
I'm considering that tire for my 6 lug wheels running at 80psi.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #32
bridge4d

My rims are Sendel 16x6 six bolt p/n 5134-B4. There is no psi stamp on the back. There is a max load stamp of 3580 lbs. When I go to Sendel's website mine are exactly like their Aluminium Trailer rim TO3. The spec on that tire, according to their website, is 3580 lbs @ 94psi. Strange they go with "94" and not 90 or 95. So, I think I'm good but, I've sent them an email asking about my specific rim just to be sure.

I've been all over the interwebs the last two days and have found lots of people running Sailun 235/80R16 (or the 85 aspect ratio) on OEM 16x6 rims (and a lot more running the GY g614). There's also a user on this forum who has the exact RES327 I tow that's been running Sailun's for a year or so. I've reached out to them via private message for further insights and experiences. Sailun also has a load rating/PSI chart like most other manufacturers that states what the load rating is all the way down to 80psi. At 90-95 psi the load rating is 3300 lbs - 3415 lbs.

Seems simpletires . com has the best price but they only have the 85 aspect ratio tire. I've measured my current tire clearances (while patching the hole the TrailerQueen tire made) and there isn't an issue. I'm taking the family to the beach in a few weeks so I'm anxious to get some new shoes on the rig.

2017 F350 Dually
Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #33
gearhead

Sounds like you're good with the Sailuns. Pick a pressure less than 94psi that matches your load and rock and roll...
2023 CanAm Defender SXS