Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Rick

Urban RV Friendly Gas Stations

As I live north of Los Angeles, a lot of our short camping trips deals with getting gas while pulling our trailer in urban areas prior to arriving at our destination. Unlike the big Interstate stations (Pilot/Flying J, etc.), these gas stations are smaller and sometimes there's problems getting in/out of them. Lots of them are in mini-malls are are great for cars, but not RV's. Thought maybe I'd add this station as Urban RV Friendly. It's an Arco, and it's about 2.5mi east of the I-15. Just follow the yellow brick road from either direction into the station. The lower left part of the yellow line is coming/going to the I-15.

Rick

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Rick

This one is for Costco in Canyon Country, CA (aka Santa Clarita). It's about 3/10's of a mile from the 14 (Antelope Valley) Fwy. Easy to/from fwy access. Just make sure to use that far right lane.

Rick

Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Rick

This one is off the Antelope Valley Fwy (the 14) in Acton, CA. It's an Arco, and has cheap prices. You're able to use any of the lanes. It's busy in the mornings, though.

Rick

Old 06-24-2016, 03:21 AM   #4
Tbos

Real good info Rick. I wish we could get someone to create a good navigation app that had RV settings and included RV friendly gas stations too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
GaryWT

It can be difficult for sure. Have had to search and stop a few times and then walk around to see how to get out and back on the street. For the most part we drive no longer that a tank of gas unless there are rest stops on the highway. That was we unhook at a campground and then go out and get gas.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
RayT

I use an app called GasBuddy to find diesel stations, and the best price. The app provides icons for the various "Station Features", as reported by users. I've written to the app developers (i.e., Settings > Send Feedback") and requested they add an "RV Friendly" icon. There reply was "We have been looking at developing this feature for the past little while".

If others make a similar request I believe the chances of it being implemented would be greater.

-Ray
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
I use an app called GasBuddy to find diesel stations, and the best price. The app provides icons for the various "Station Features", as reported by users. I've written to the app developers (i.e., Settings > Send Feedback") and requested they add an "RV Friendly" icon. There reply was "We have been looking at developing this feature for the past little while".

If others make a similar request I believe the chances of it being implemented would be greater.

-Ray
Great idea. I use Gas Buddy a lot.

I'm going to a town on the way to a boondocking trip that I haven't been to for awhile. I'll need diesel when I get there. Between Gas Buddy and Google Earth I know where I'm getting the "RV Friendly" diesel.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Rick

I, too, use Gas Buddy. The request for the addition of RV info has been asked 5x, last being 12/14.
Look for _ _MSL Station Feature, Large Vehicle (RV, Truck, Fifth-Wheel Trailer, etc.) on the Gas Buddy wiki page. Looks like they aren't in a hurry to get around to it. In the posts, they write about the major fuel stations off the interstates with available apps or books and not the urban stations in towns.
I guess I'll just start planning my gas stops for my trips ahead of time with GE and keeping a record of urban RV friendly stations.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
FlyingChief

We're 3 weeks in to a 90 day trip around the country and this issue of finding RV friendly fuel stops has been one of the bigger challenges. Although I unhook and fill up at our overnight stops, we typically drive far enough during the day that I need to make at least one fuel stop while hooked up. If we're on a major truck route, we use Pilot/Flying J/Loves - no problem. The challenge is when we are off the interstate and looking for local stations. Most have the pumps oriented in a way that they are impossible to use if you're towing anything. Also, many don't post the overhead clearance space. I usually start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank, just to be safe. Even so, I had one instance where I got close enough to empty that I stopped in a Walmart parking lot, unhooked the Raptor, went and got fuel, and came back and re-hooked. I would be very willing to pay for an app that had reliable information about large vehicle access.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote