Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
kink2227

passport roof leak update

So i got my 2015 passport back from the dealer for a leak that was showing up under the bunk. They said it came from an air pocket in the sealant. it ruined the roof decking on the right rear corner and they had to replace interior panels. I talked the dealer about the left rear corner that looks like the roof decking is not secure to the trusses anymore. It almost looks like the over looked it or ignored it. here is a youtube link

looks like its going back!
kink2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kink2227 View Post
So i got my 2015 passport back from the dealer for a leak that was showing up under the bunk. They said it came from an air pocket in the sealant. it ruined the roof decking on the right rear corner and they had to replace interior panels. I talked the dealer about the left rear corner that looks like the roof decking is not secure to the trusses anymore. It almost looks like the over looked it or ignored it. here is a youtube link

looks like its going back!
Hope it goes well 2nd time around.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
kink2227

I also contacted keystone to see what can be done about all these issues I have had. Does anyone know if it's okay for the dealer to keep peeling the roof membrane back to make repairs? I would say that has to be rough on it and will shorten the life.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
dcg9381

Seems to me, to get to that, they're going to have to pull the roof covering, at least partially, secure the roof OSB to the truss, then re-glue...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
kink2227

I talked to the dealer today. They said keystone told them to leave it like that and see what happens. Maybe they are waiting for my warranty to expire so it's all on me!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
I talked to the dealer today. They said keystone told them to leave it like that and see what happens. Maybe they are waiting for my warranty to expire so it's all on me!

I think I'd talk to Keystone again. That just doesn't seem right. I would think that eventually it would cause the edge to lose its seal and create a leak. Chuckster57 is an RV mech. You may want to PM him and see what he says. He has a lot of knowledge and is always helpful.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
kink2227

I agree. I feel that the corner of that board will wear through the membrane. And I'll always have to watch that seal on the side because of the movement. I'll pm him and see if he can give me an opinion. I haven't personaly heard from keystone yet. That was what the dealer told me.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I think I'd talk to Keystone again. That just doesn't seem right. I would think that eventually it would cause the edge to lose its seal and create a leak. Chuckster57 is an RV mech. You may want to PM him and see what he says. He has a lot of knowledge and is always helpful.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I did receive and answer a PM.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
If they did say that, my guess is that it's to avoid a roof re-seal issue.

I asked Keystone why they didn't replace the OSB on my roof as recommended by Alpha when they replaced the roof membrane as I could reference some horrible (cosmetic) results. What I got back from Keystone customer service was that it "causes more problems than it solves". So far so good in the instance of my roof repair.

I was actually thinking about your repair today, one thing I might try (if it was my repair, off warranty) is to drop some glue under that board via a needle, seal the needle hole...

...<not an RV tech>
Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
kink2227

I have been going back and forth with keystone. Keystone said the way the roof is designed its supposed to do that. I talked to alpha and sent them the video also. Alpha said they won't warranty the roof if that board damages the membrane.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
Tbos

Quote:
I have been going back and forth with keystone. Keystone said the way the roof is designed its supposed to do that. I talked to alpha and sent them the video also. Alpha said they won't warranty the roof if that board damages the membrane.
I'm surprised Keystone said that. It seems like it could definitely be an issue that needs attention. I wish you luck getting it fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

My roof doesn't do that. Alpha saying they won't warrant it if it cuts the membrane says that it's not supposed to. Work with your dealer service manager/GM and try to escalate within Keystone. Also try their customer service/owner relation line and try to escalate. The dealership management needs to take your cause and push it.

My service manager (which I deal with exclusively) said that when he takes an issue from a customer and personally pushes Keystone he gets beyond the "front line" and gets a better resolution. Your folks need to do the same. Hope you have good luck.

A side note: I just thought about this. I have a walkable roof and it does not do what yours does. If a roof is not walkable maybe they do that??? I wouldn't think so because it sure looks like it would wear through the membrane flexing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #13
kink2227

so i have finally gotten keystone to repair the roof. its going to have the roof membrane once again pulled off to repair the loose decking. also from the previous repair where they replaced rotted decking it came back with some damage to the rear skin. i don't know if its water damage or it happened from prying on it during the repair. so the rear skin is getting replaced as well. it goes in this weekend so ill update after repair is complete
Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
dcg9381

Kink - one thing to watch with a Keystone approved roof repair is that they will NOT replace the factory OSB decking. The roof membrane is glued to OSB, so when they pull it, some OSB will come with it. When they install new membrane, the OSB is a lot more course, typically can lose a little thickness.

They need to make sure no staples are coming through - and if enough OSB comes up, it makes for a really ugly roof that is functional. Cosmetic issues are not covered under warranty. The resulting ugly roof, well, I wouldn't buy an RV with the issue. I've discussed it with Keystone and they say that they don't replace the OSB because it "causes more problems than it solves" - whatever that is worth. The right way to fix it is either to deck-over with 1/8th Luan or replace the OSB (depending on who you ask). I've got multiple staples poking my roof material. No penetrations (yet).

If I was having it done again, I'd insist on seeing the roof deck before they applied new roof material. I'd offer to come out of pocket on anything Keystone won't cover - it's a fraction of the total repair cost and fixing it costs the same as a new roof.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on being able to get the roof repaired. If peeling the membrane off actually peels part of the OSB off I would definitely be keeping a keen eye on that. Anytime I've ever seen OSB "peel" it leaves lots of sharpies and splinters which may harm the membrane (it's not very thick). If it was really rough you might have them hit it with a belt sander; or palm sander at the very least.....the sheathing on the roof is not very thick either.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #16
kink2227

Just got it back today. All the repairs look great! They peeled the roof back and installed screws in place of the nails or staples where the came loose. And the rear skin looks better then it did the day I took delivery. They said it's a re designed panel. The original one was backed with cardboard. The new one has a rubber like backer. Also it looks flat where the original one had a concave shape to it. Over all I'm happy with what they have done. I will see how it holds up over time.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal. If the roof substrate was screwed down it should hold tight. I like to hear success stories like this.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
Camping Buddys

Thumbs up

Glad your happy with the repairs.
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote