Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
hitchikerman

info on male plug

Hi I am replacing the male end of my power cord and the one I got from Home depot just don't seem to cut it. The ground prong is U-shaped and I'm having a hard time plugging it into the female ends that I have...it just will not plug all the way in. Does anyone know where I get a replacement...remember it has to go into the side hole of the trailer
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Are you using a 30 or 50amp plug? CW or an RV center can sell you the plug. If I recall the ground pins ARE U shaped aren't they? Do you have the proper male/female components?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
hitchikerman

it's is a 30 amp male and I think i got it fixed. What I had to do is pinch the u-shaped ground prong together a bit. It's tight but it will plug farther into receptacle
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Good. My 50 amp ground is U shaped and solid. My 50/30 amp adapter has more or less a round ground prong. Reckon a different male plug with different shaped prongs would be any better? Be sure and seat the male into the female receptacle without much, if any, of the conductors visible. You absolutely don't want to be able to touch any of them and preferably don't want water to get in between them. It can short out the receptacle, or worse, conduct the AC through the water and let you become the ground when you touch it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
bobbecky

If you got it from a big box store, it is probably a 240v dryer plug, not the one designed for an RV 30 amp, 120v application
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote