Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
SS99

Battery Meter Issue

Took delivery of my new Passport 2670BH yesterday. Everything seemed to be in working order except the battery meter on the switch console. All the other meters work, just the battery one doesn't light up any of the led lights. The trailer was connected to shore power when doing the walk through.

Any ideas what could be the problem? is there a trick to it? The technician couldn't figure it out.

It seemed silly to not take delievery over something small like this. So they are planning on doing some research on the wiring diagram of the battery meter and making some calls to keystone for a hopeful fix. Next time I take it in for service, they will fix it.... i hope.
SS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe you're talking about the LED status indicators on the status panel? It's the "wall mounted box" that gives the status of the fluid level in your black, gray, fresh water tanks and often has the water pump/water heater switches. If you "push the battery button" it should light all LED's (if you're plugged into shore power) and any "given number" of LED's if you're on battery power, to give the charge status of the battery.

If this is the indicator you're describing, if any of the LED's light for any of the status indicators, and the water pump switch operates but the battery status meter doesn't work, then the panel needs to be replaced. The battery status indicator function "reads" the battery voltage level to light the LED's. If there is 12 volts connected to the box and anything works, then the malfunction is "internal" and the box needs to be replaced.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
SS99

Yeah, this is what I am talking about. All the other switches and buttons on the panel seem to work, its just the battery level one that doesn't do anything.

The technician was baffled, and was thinking something wasn't quite hooked up right behind the panel. He opened it up, and it just looked like a wire mess. There was some fuse behind the panel he did check. Thought it was interesting there was a inline fuse back there. Anyways.... Guess I should pack a multi-meter in my camping supplies to check the battery every now and then.

2013 Ford F150 FX2 SuperCrew
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The voltage monitor circuit on the IC board is bad. They (the dealer) should just replace the entire device in a "1 for 1" swap under your warranty.

As for a voltmeter, right now Harbor Freight has a coupon in many magazines for a free voltmeter. It's not a "technician's dream" type meter, but for something to "throw in the trailer for emergencies" it's an ideal "freebie"....

Also, I carry a "cigarette plug DVM" to plug into the Winegard TV amplifier 12 volt socket. That way I can watch for voltage fluctuations as we use an inverter to power the TV and/or other AC devices. Don't leave it plugged in 24/7 as it is a "hidden drain" on the battery while it's plugged in. http://www.amazon.com/Zeltauto-Cigar...volt+meter+car

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Tbos

I agree it sounds like a panel issue. If everything else works it doesn't leave much. Ditto on the HF meter.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
SS99

I like the idea of this plug in digital voltmeter. This may be a stupid question, but what range of voltage do you consider good, and whats considered way high to damage things, or low enough to cause low battery concerns?

Even though I want my trailers panel fixed, i think I would rather have the specific digital read out.

2013 Ford F150 FX2 SuperCrew
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the inexpensive digital meters that I've seen are 0-24 volts DC.

The battery voltage "fully charged" should be about 12.7 VDC. At about 50% discharged, it will be about 12.2 VDC. I try not to go below 50% before I recharge. Some people recommend even less discharge before recharging. Essentially, the more you discharge your batteries before you recharge them, the shorter the lifespan. Deep cycle batteries, like most things, come in varying "quality" and a "cheap battery" won't provide as much "reserve energy" and won't give "as many discharge cycles" as a "better grade" battery.

You can download a voltage chart and some good information here: http://www.mmbalmainauto.com.au/PDF/..._batteries.pdf

If you convert to a dual or quad 6 volt system, the battery capacity and voltage indications are somewhat different, but not significantly different that you can't use the 12 volt chart to determine discharge rates.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
dcg9381

Adding to what John said:
A pretty aggressive charge (while plugged in) - might be as high as 14.3V or so. Holding it there too long is bad for the battery, so expect charging voltage to be 13.2v - 14.3v.

Batteries decrease performance as they age and taking their current voltage is, at best, a very rough approximation of how charged/discharged they are. Not helping things, lead batteries discharge in a non-linear manner.

If you really want to know, there are "power centers" that get setup for your specific battery and then tweaked (adjusted) for fully charged, etc conditions. They're actually amp-meters (I assume, I've never installed one) and calculate how much energy goes in and out of a battery.... For the serious off-grid types or those that really need to know the condition of a bank of batteries.

For most of us mere mortals, the volt-meter or factory LEDs work well enough..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote