Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
talk2cpu

Help, Slide out leaks!

2011 Passport 250BH.
Slide out leaks and the water comes in and drips off the interior trim, the upper surface of the bottom soffit and the slide out cables. I have checked the roof and can find no issues there. Also checked and caulked anything that looked suspicious everywhere else. These measures slowed the leaking, but still leaks, just less water. Only thing I can guess at is the water follows the cables into the trailer. Could be why much of the water drips off the cables. The gromet like material that the cables slide through, appears worn and doesn't appear to seal to the cables.

Any ideas and if it is likely the cables, how to get new wear seals over the cables?

Hard enough keeping the moisture out without leaks, here on the Oregon coast.
Tom
Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Tbos

Don't know where it's leaking but sounds like you need to have a friend outside with a hose while you are inside. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
talk2cpu

Update

So far I have sectioned off the roof area (using towels) and flooded each side inboard and outboard. Doesn't matter which outboard side was flooded the water came in as usual. Inboard side did not produce any infiltration. So it must be the seal on the exterior top trim.

Yesterday I took it all apart and found all screws were wet, but not the wall side screws of the trim. There was no water under the TPO except slightly at each screw. What I found was there was silicon along the outboard rolled over edge of the TPO. It did appear that all resistance to water penetration was only provided by the Dicor.

Cleaned it all up and applied butyl Rubber to the roof edge, Screwed it all back together. Applied silicon to trim miters and corner pieces, applied Dicor to trim/TPO joint and over all screws. Siliconed the bottom edge of the vertical part of the trim piece, still not sure why that joint is sealed. I did leave a few small weep holes in that sealant. Just made sense to me.

Now I wait for some rain and if successful I can put the interior back together.

Tom
Old 05-04-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
Quiroule

I had an infiltration 2 years ago.. The cause was the piece of rubber attached to the outside of the wall and thru which the cable run. The upper half on the rubber had come unglued and curled away from the wall, it was funnelling water inside.

Good luck.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
talk2cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I had an infiltration 2 years ago.. The cause was the piece of rubber attached to the outside of the wall and thru which the cable run. The upper half on the rubber had come unglued and curled away from the wall, it was funnelling water inside.

Good luck.
All of mine have separated from the sweeps. When the slide was out in heavy rains, I plugged the hole around the cable with a removable caulk. Pretty sure I got them sealed, but did not change the water infiltration. Removed it during the next rain and water infiltration did not get worse.

Wonder why some cable holes leak and some don't. Sure wasn't obviously the source for me, and yet rubber pads are separated.

Maybe it is all really held together by magic. Or maybe 14,000 miles on all kids of roads (some rough) takes a toll on anything that can move or twist.

Tom
Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 AM   #6
talk2cpu

Well, had some rain and it still leaks.
Guess I start on any other place I can find a joint, screw or seam.

At least I know the roof isn't the problem.