Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
FRowland

FRowland

My wife and I enjoy dispersed campsies on BLM and Nat. Forest lands; often places a larger travel trailer can't get to. We are interested in the Cougar 1/2 Tons -- 19, 21, or 22 foot travel trailer. We really like the floor plan and features of these; however, I have read some very bad reports about Keystone, so have become a bit dubious. Can anyone give me some unbiased feedback on Keystone, particularly the ones mentioned above?
FRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRowland View Post
Can anyone give me some unbiased feedback on Keystone, particularly the ones mentioned above?
First, I will refer you to a poll taken a while back which asked our members - "Would you buy another Keystone?". The results showed that over 91% said they would so that gives you some indication about our members' attitude towards Keystone products.

Secondly, almost all of our members seem to be satisfied with their Keystone RV. Yes, there are some who have had problems - some more serious and extensive than others - but you will find this with every RV regardless of who makes it. Every RV manufacturer, even those who make more expensive and so-called "top of the line models" -has issues with their RVs - Keystone is no different. IMO I think "we" feel that we are getting good value for the $$.

I can't give you any "unbiased" feedback about those specific models but being a member of the Keystone forum since the beginning I can tell you that, while we get complaints from members - some very minor - some very major - as a group I think we are quite happy with our Keystone RV.

Good luck in your decision - whatever it is you decide to get.

(This actually belongs in the Prospective Owners Questions section -------)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My 2 cents worth. I don't know those models but I do know Keystone as a "brand". I have owned Fleetwood, Jayco and Heartland products. ALL have issues. ALL have some sort of manufacturer/dealer/owner issues. When we got back into RVing a year and a half ago I visited dozens of dealers, went thru hundreds of RVs, inspected them, priced them all and talked to the sales/sales mgrs. at all of them. Keystone makes hands down the best priced and built midrange trailers I looked at IMO (no daylight under the slides/no peeling plastic/edges that match etc).

I own one but I am not biased. If I thought there was a better built, better floorplan trailer out there that did what I wanted it would be on my property tomorrow. I've had issues and Keystone and the dealer have worked tirelessly to take care of me; I can't ask for more than that. Others have different stories but that is mine.

As far as the size of the trailer you are looking at the right things. If you are wanting to camp in the woods you need something smaller. I had a 24' trailer that I used all the time in the woods. It could get pretty exciting trying to navigate the trees.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Harleyhop

I have owned many different brands of RVs I too am not bias in any way shape or form. We picked are unit because we believe it's a well built unitand the exact floor plan for our needs. I don't care what brand or price range there is all units have there percentage of problems. I had a family member that had a very expensive Prevost motor home that had nothing but problems and had to get rid of it!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Pretty much the same story from me. I'm on my third different 5th wheel, first Keystone. The previous two were Homestead which is made by Starcraft (now owned by Jayco, but I don't believe it was at the time), the second was a Jayco. When we started looking for our third RV we looked at every make and model we could find. Were very close to buying another Jayco, then we found a Big Country (Heartland), also really liked a Columbus (Palomino). In the end we bought the Alpine because it was the best fit for us based on size, floor plan, design, finish, and price. I looked at higher priced RVs such as the Redwood and DRV Luxury Suite and I have to say I didn't really see where the additional price was, some, but not as much as they were charging. I believe Keystone makes a nice product at a reasonable value.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
koko

We've owned 7 trailers in our time of different makes and sizes. I guess we're lucky, but we've never had anything but very minor issues. We have had our Premier 19 for 2 years now and love it. We've had no problems; and because we camp in the mountains a lot on BLM land, we love our 19. We can go just about anywhere, and the trailer sits very high. The floor plan is superb - I think the smaller Cougars have a very similar floor plan to ours. Keystone has been just fine.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote