Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
brittsnbirds

Stabilizing a Sprinter Copper Canyon wide body?

I have 2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon and would like to do a better job of stabilizing it.

I have 1 set of BAL wheel chocks between the tandoms and that's it. Been flirting with getting a king pin stabilizer but have heard mixed reviews. I realize the JT system would be the ultimate but the location of the spare tire and battery box up front prevents me to go that direction.

Any suggestions??
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

When I had my Jayco it was 36' overall and I used a set of wheel locks, rear stab jacks and a tripod style king pin stabilizer. As long as I got the whole rig about 1-2" off the suspension, it was quite stable.

I would unhitch, then bring the front end an inch or two low. Lower my rear jacks, and then using the landing gear lift the front about 2" high. Set the stabilizer under the king pin and lower until the trailer was level and the chain in the stabilizer was tight. Worked great for the 13 years I used it.

I use the same thing on my current unit, and being only 30' it is even more stable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
lee8751

I went with the JT system with no regrets. No more rock and roll. Relocate the spare tire winch with new sub supports running left to right attached to main frame.
lee8751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
spicercars

All you need is a good king pin stabilizer and that will take care of your problem and they don't cost a lot of money. Easy fix
Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
xaugievike

I'll give a nod to steadyfast stabilizers. Not sure how mount differs from JT, but worth consideration. Good luck.

A buddy and I started a blog, read it here:
https://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com
xaugievike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
brittsnbirds

Thanks for replys

Thanks for everyone's reply's. After reviewing the front of my Sprinter, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to make some changes to my spare tire location, or just take it off and throw it in the back of the truck. And reposition the battery as the mount hangs down next to the port side landing gear if I go with one of the JT style systems.

I think I am going to try and find some of the homemade units utilizing ratchet straps on this site and give them a go first. Most of the votes for the tripod stabilizer were negative, don't think I'll waste my money there.

If anyone has the link to some of the homemade units would appreciate them.

Thanks again.
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are a couple of threads that speak to your question:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ght=stabilizer

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ght=stabilizer

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...bilizer&page=4

Those will get you started with some alternative methods, just search for "stabilizer" and you'll get enough "reading material" to answer your questions, and if not, then ask away !!!

ADDED: Keep in mind that all three of the bar stabilizer systems "angulate" from the bottom of the front landing gear across to the center of the trailer and also from the landing gear back along the frame rails. There is "some clearance" so you might want to use a broom stick and position it from the landing gear foot pin (where all of the systems attach) to the center of the trailer directly between the landing gear. Also place the broom stick along the same landing gear position and back to the frame rails behind either landing gear. Do this in both the top (travel) position and in the lower (park) position. If you have clearance with those "trial fittings" you may be able to use one of the bar stabilizer systems. Removing the spare tire, or repositioning it slightly behind the current location could be an option, as for the battery tray, even if it hangs down a little, the bars may clear it enough to not be an issue.....

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Dutch & Di

We didn't care for the bi/tri pod as it didn't eliminate much movement. We have been using our permanently installed stabilizers for almost 9 years and have been very happy. We were fortunate that we didn't have to relocate anything prior to installation. Good luck in what you decide. Hugs, Di
Old 01-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch & Di View Post
We didn't care for the bi/tri pod as it didn't eliminate much movement. We have been using our permanently installed stabilizers for almost 9 years and have been very happy. We were fortunate that we didn't have to relocate anything prior to installation. Good luck in what you decide. Hugs, Di

I can say that how you position the feet of the tripod, and how much weight you put on them affects how much stability they add. I've used one since about 2000 and love it..to each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
timd3200

I have a 2010 Copper canyon and we put a steady fast system on it last year. Really made a nice improvement.
B&W companion hitch
timd3200 is offline   Reply With Quote