Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
Quad

Weekend lake trip turns bad

So we loaded up Thursday and headed out Friday when I got off work. Got about 55 miles from the house and heard a loud pop and bang then truck went to free wheeling with the 5er behind us pushing. So I put flashers on and started to ease over to the shoulder. Then what ever caught and it went back in to gear. But then at highway speed it the rear locked up and started to jack knife on the highway at speed! 😬 Thankfully it let loose again and it straightened out. I drive on the shoulder at about a mile and got off the exit. Climbed under removed the drive shaft and put it in 4x4 and drove it. Still popped and banged, would grab and let loose. So I called AAA for the truck and a Buddy to come get us and the 5er. Got up at 6am this morning and pulled it apart. Found the axle flanged sheared off the shaft. It's a AAM 11.5 rear end too. Not a light rear end. But we were all safe In the end. Ordered new axle shafts and were packed up in the mini van and heading to the lake now. Going to go old school and tent camp with the wife and kids lol. Told the wife it'll be like when we first started dating lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

WOW!! Can't say I've seen that failure. Thank goodness everybody is okay. Years ago I lost a rear bearing with an 8 1/2' cab over on board 3 states away from home.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Glad to hear that did not end in a crash. I once had the rear drive line, front u joint break at highway speed. When the drive line hit the road it stuck and bounced the rear end up 3-4 ft off the road. At the time seat belts where not required. I am glad I had them on. I was not pulling a trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Desert185

The one and only time I broke an axle was when I was 18 and on a date driving my MG TD. My dad had to tow me home with his '52 Ford pickup, with a quick detour to drop off the lovely and understanding Ellen. In those days one could go to the local wrecking yard and pick an axle even on high school kid pay. Never understood how that "relatively" torque-free, 1250cc engine could break an axle. Maybe it was a Lucas axle...?

As rare as this is, I might consider an aftermarket axle like a Moser, or equivalent, for your truck. Did it hurt the housing?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Quad

It's was scary, woke the kids and wife up. Being woke up like that I'm sure freaked them lol The housing is ok, broken shaft and shot hub bearings. I've ordered Yukon axles for both sides along with new bearings. I found the yukons cheaper then Dorman axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
TLB

Sorry to hear about you bad luck.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote