Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Pmedic4

Water pump continued to cycle

Was out camping, enjoying the great weather, when last night my wife and I started hearing the water pump continuing to cycle on and off. I was planning on working on the pump this week anyway, because it was so noisy, so you can imagine with it cycling on Every few minutes in the middle of the night! Turned off the pump and went back to bed.

This morning I decided to look at the pump since I figured it was something to do with the internal check valve. Assumed worse case needed to buy a new pump, so took it out and apart. Found a small piece of silicon rubber had stuck in the valve. Put it back in, and it works great - even quieter than before, but it isn't mounted down, so tomorrow, I'm going to try the foam mounting someone else mentioned, I think JRTJH.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Ed, I found that putting foam pipe insulation around the Pex tubing where it goes through the holes in the cabinets made the biggest difference in reducing the noise. The cabinets were acting like speakers and resonating the vibrations. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If this is the one you're talking about, it has worked well for me on RV's from Airstream to Holiday Rambler (and not on 2 Keystone's).

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=pump

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Pmedic4

Another Water Pump Problem - fixed

Was out this past holiday weekend,and in the middle of the night, the water pump decided to start cycling about once every 30 seconds. It would run like in a normal situation, but then after the pump stopped running, we'd hear this slight whining sound for about 10 seconds, and after the 10 seconds, the pump would start again, doing another cycle! Of course, being the middle of the night, shut off the water pump and said I'd look at it in the morning, #*$&#^@!

Of course, assumed it was something wrong with the pump and pressure switch, and was figuring on the worse case scenario of needing a new pump. I removed the pump and took off the pump assembly, and found that a small piece of clear silicon rubber had gotten in the check valve going to the switch. I was able to remove that piece of junk, put the pump together and back in place, and it worked! Yeah, finally an inexpensive fix!

While I had the pump out, I did some modifications to see if I could make it quieter too. Had some limited success, but seems like we get a lot of pipe banging, so I'm planning on putting more of the foam around some of the water pipes next trip out.

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
therink

I also found that securing the pex tubing at various areas in cabinets or cubbies, basement, etc with zip ties repositions and secures the tubing enough so that it stops vibrating.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Pmedic4

Water pump tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I also found that securing the pex tubing at various areas in cabinets or cubbies, basement, etc with zip ties repositions and secures the tubing enough so that it stops vibrating.
Thanks, I'm doing more foam pipe insulation around the pipes, because right now I agree it's coming from pipes knocking on the insides of the cabinets, which carries through the entire RV. The one place I'm concerned about is right where it goes through a cabinet panel. The hole seems like a tight fit for the single waterpipe as this is before it goes to the water heater - would you enlarge the hole and put foam in between the pipe and opening?

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Stuff the foam in the tighter the better and cover the tubing anywhere it touches the cabinets. You will be pleased.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Pmedic4

Water pump noise reduction

Well, covered all the easily accessible water lines with the insulating foam, and right now, the pump is very quiet! Really happy with this improvement!

Thanks for the suggestions and actions. Actually, now having a 5ver with the pump in the opposite end of the RV when sleeping is just a vast improvement over the TT where the water pump is right underneath the bed, but this is even better!

2017 Cougar 333MKS