Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #21
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Just as the Wrights were "First in flight", Geo was "First in the belly of the beast" and shall forever reign supreme. So sayeth the moderators.

So sayeth the Apprentices as well
Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #22
FullTimer

Lol, I respect the decision of the committee. I yield the floor and title to Geo.

In respect and reverence I so honor thee
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #23
geo

Fulltimer -

Thank you! Thank you!

However, I was actually bucking for the glorious title of "Grand Poobah of The Royal Order of Underbelly Crawlers"! However, the Moderators did not feel that I had served my own apprenticeship time. Re: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5810

However, you and Mguay have certainly served your Keystone underbelly modifications well. I would recommend at least a Duke or Earl position! Maybe . . . for Mguay, "Duke of the Underbelly of the Northeast Kingdom" (I know, but it is close, right across the Vermont/New Hampshire border! ). And for Fulltimer, "Earl of the Underbelly of Green Country"!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #24
FullTimer

Tis an honor sir. I respectfully accept, with The Committees approval of course, the Esteemed title of Duke Earl of the Underbelly of Green Country. Though my age is beyond thy prime, and my armour tarnished from underbellly battles, I would gladly be honoured.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

FullTimer -

I doubt very much if "The Committee" would approve of your nomination based on this "self portrait" or, in today's speak - "selfie". We have certain standards to maintain and we can't have members - Dukes or Earls - looking so darn good! Come on. You're much more tarnished and worn than that!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
Bob Landry

This thread really sparked my curiosity, so I went back and pulled the build sheet that was given to me by the dealer at the sale. There are certainly some flags, and I'm wondering what we really pay for when we buy a trailer. Here's what I found aside from the standard "packages" that Keystone has listed on their website. I'm also trying to understand why an equipment group is listed as a separate upgrade package, but it comes on the trailer as standard equipment and you pay for it.

LCD Campsite Theatre
What is this? The trailer came with a cheap Jensen TV mounted on the wall and a bracket attached to the side of the trailer along with an antenna connection. $464

Stabbilizer Jacks.
These don't come n the trailer? $94

6 Gal Gas/Elec Water Heater
Why is this an option? It's the smallest WH available. What is the standard, no water heater?

Oven
I guess the standard is just a propane cooktop.

Radial Tires $131
That's not standard now days?

Aluminum Rims? $399
They do look nice but for $400, steel wheels would have been just fine.

Winterization $44
I picked it up in Houston at the end of March.

RVIA Seal. $139
This a foil seal stuck on the side of the trailer. What does it give you? It certainly doesn't guarantee that the trailer was built to a certain standard.

By the time you figure in the length of the financing term, these prices will quadruple or more. I don't mind paying for something that I actually receive, but really? Then there is the snake oil stuff that the finance guy tried to sell at closing like $350 Scotchguard, and the 500 Protective CarWash stuff that they wash it with. Geez, and DW wonders why I never want to buy another trailer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimer View Post
Tis an honor sir. I respectfully accept, with The Committees approval of course, the Esteemed title of Duke Earl of the Underbelly of Green Country. Though my age is beyond thy prime, and my armour tarnished from underbellly battles, I would gladly be honoured.

FullTimer, Watch out for those windmills.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #28
FullTimer

Lol, well honestly, that's an old picture lol. Me, in my better days lol. But I used to really have hair like that, until a patient during a procedure called me "maam" lol. I was a nurse for 5 years.

As an aside, I think I found a weakness in mine. A 1 inch section of suction hose exposed. I think that's where the wind got mine during the last storm. I found it yesterday when reinstalling the drain plug and filling the tank in anticipation of the water being turned off tomorrow, to the whole park to repair an underground line. An easy fix.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #29
6806goats

Same with Holiday Rambler

I was searching around to see if closed cell foam sprayed onto OSB would cause wood rot and stumbled upon this page.

The grey/black water tanks froze up on my gal back in 2008/2009 when I was overseas. Wound up buying a house that summer but now that 'm back in the US of A and no work in these parts, I'm reworking the 5th wheel to go looking.

What I found is also a shocker. I don't have pics just yet but I got all 3 tanks (two grey, 1 black water) dropped today. Found that when they screwed the tanks in that they used metal clips and 2 bolts per clip around the perimeter of each tank. When they put in the screws they used self tapping screws through the ABS and caused the tanks to crack and created my problem.

Now as far as artic insulation, nothing was mentioned. But they do taut a fully enclosed, insulated and heated basement. What I found was just what I have seen here. Absolutely no insulation on the floor or plumbing and the basement insulation is 1" stryrofoam attached to a thin aluminum sheet with perimeter extruded aluminum "track" riveted to the sheet. So thinking of either using 3M spray adhesive and some left over 1" foam blocks to glue it to the OSB that is the underside of the floor. I sure would like to use the DIY 2 part kits they have but $600 is a good bit of cash right now. If I do get this job I've applied for then I might pop for the cash to do it the right way. All wiring is exposed and just runs everywhere so I think I'll use whistle tubing to protect things.

Then I'll just forget the holding tanks for now and go with traditional house type plumbing, vents but keep the RV toilet. I do have a house toilet I can use but I'll need to research available space.

In closing, thanks for some great photos and info. I did have a 2006 Montana 3400RL for awhile before I went to Iraq but had to sell it before I got the job offer. Liked the space that 4 slides provided.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #30
mguay

The only reason for osb to rot is that it comes in contact with water constantly. The only effect that CCSF would have is that it would hold the water in the OSB if the water source was on the other side of the OSB...but again it wouldn't be the CCSF at fault...It would be the water!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #31
Terry&Carol

Spray foam

Mguay: how much weight would you say was added to the TT with the foam? And how did you get it so even, level?
Terry&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry&Carol View Post
Mguay: how much weight would you say was added to the TT with the foam? And how did you get it so even, level?
BaySeal CCSF is 2lbs per cubic foot. The floor space sprayed was roughly 30ft by 8ft. I installed it 2"+/- thick so approximately 480bdft. Converting bdft to cuft and you en up with about 40cuft. So the foam added about 80lbs to the 5er.

It is so smooth because 1. I did it with professional equipment. 2. I am a Spray Foam installer.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #33
fireballxl5

Hey Mguay-One thing I'll give Keystone - consistency in building. I sectioned/pulled my underbelly and found 85% of what you did on my 07 Laredo 29RL 5'er. In my case, the slide caught the tank sensors ribbon cable and severed it. Spent the weekend rewiring...cleaning up hanging cables/slack cables/etc. Still a ways to go. And the "wet blanket insulation"...gotta be a better way. I work avionics and like so many, I was absolutely shocked by this crappy workmanship. This goes hurtling down the road...thank goodness the cars/trucks we drive aren't built this way! I understand ROI and the bottom line...but I also understand "LEAN"...and I hope Keystone has leaned out their practices.
Sorry for the rant! Great job on foaming! Well done and actually inspirational that its something I could do.
fireballxl5 is offline   Reply With Quote