Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
izmu

Need more hot water!

Hello all, this is my first time owning an rv and we have only used it for 3 weekends before the park closed for the season. I noticed that the hot water for the shower lasted about 2 minutes! I own a 2014 Keystone Hideout 280LHS. I hear that we can some how switch to electric instead of using propane. Would this help the hot water last longer? If so, how would I go about doing this? Electricity is included in our park fees, so I would also be saving on the cost of propane
We're very excited to open the trailer in May, but it would be even better to be able to use the shower rather than the public showers *~*
Thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
izmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

For us military veterans that's a long time

There are a couple of threads out there you may want to read

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=water+heater

Also you can use the search function to find others search for "water heater" There at least two threads out there

These threads will explain the dual function water heater and how individuals use them as well as precautions.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
izmu

Thanks Paraptor! That was helpful. .. I guess I'll have to look for the switch on the interior. .. I know I don't have one on the exterior because we searched for it already. .. lol.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
GaryWT

Propane will work faster than electric but during shower time, both on will help. Many times the switches are on the same panel. 2 minutes is short, we generally get 5+ minutes depending how hot the water is. For longer time, shut water off while soaping. Next shower should wait 10-15 minutes. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmu View Post
Thanks Paraptor! That was helpful. .. I guess I'll have to look for the switch on the interior. .. I know I don't have one on the exterior because we searched for it already. .. lol.

Since you read these other threads, the outside switch is actually on the hot water tank unit. On my Raptor it is a 12 gallon tank located on the road side behind a vent panel. As you read I refer to this as a safety switch. On my unit the other switch which is actually a 120VAC circuit breaker located in the trailers power panel which I use to turn on the electrical portion of the Hot Water Tank on and off. Again this outside switch is located on the tank, on the side of the trailer you should see a vent panel that needs to be removed and behind it is the tank. This is also where you remove the plug to drain the tank. Again before draining tank make sure switch on tank is off as discussed in the other threads. Again unlike the igniter switch for the propane portion of the tank it may be a 120VAC circuit breaker to energize the electrical heater for the tank.

Hope this helps

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

izmu,

The Hideout does come standard with a "gas only" DSI 6 gallon hot water heater. The Gas/Electric DSI is an option. You may have it, you may not. If you do, the electric heating element switch is in the lower left corner tucked away behind the gas tubing for the burner. It's hard to see, but if you feel behind the burner tube, you'll locate it (if it's there) Here is a picture of the front panel with the switch identified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban-SW6DE-Hot-Water-Heater.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	5230  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
izmu

I know that I do not have a switch where the plug is to drain the tank because I looked for it in the Fall... but I didn't check the circuit breaker. I'll check for it in May... Thanks again Paraptor!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
izmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
izmu,

The Hideout does come standard with a "gas only" DSI 6 gallon hot water heater. The Gas/Electric DSI is an option. You may have it, you may not. If you do, the electric heating element switch is in the lower left corner tucked away behind the gas tubing for the burner. It's hard to see, but if you feel behind the burner tube, you'll locate it (if it's there) Here is a picture of the front panel with the switch identified.
JRTJH, thanks for the picture! That is very helpful! If I don't have the switch, is there another way to get more hot water?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
theeyres

I have a Hideout and the switches for the heater are clearly marked and are in the kitchen area near all the other switches. It's one panel with two white rocker switches. You can't miss it. If they are not there then you probably have propane only. There is also the electric switch on the tank itself that I always leave on unless I have drained the tank. Then I switch it off for safety.

There is no other way to get more hot water. Even on propane only, the shower lasts 4-5 minutes. When we dry camp we use the button on the shower head. On--wet down. Off-soap up. On-rinse. You can do a shower with only a minute or two of actual water use. That's to minimize water use and gray tank from filling up.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As you can see the limiting factor is the size of your tank which as John indicated is 6 gallons. Since you only have one heating source being propane,when you do use those 6 gallons your recovery cycle will be longer than if you would have two heating sources propane and electric both on at the same time. Not to be smart but seems like the only way you will get more hot water is to use less per unit time.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You may be happier with a "low flow" "high pressure" shower head. Oxygenics has an RV showerhead that produces a "low water use/high pressure" flow. There is a shut off button on the hand held part so you can wet down, shut it off, soap up, then turn it back on to rinse off. We have the electric/gas water heater and can get 8-10 minutes of hot water using the oxygenics and making sure to shut off water while washing.

There's not much you can do with the 6 gallon water heater. It's a "fixed flow product" and when the hot water's gone, it's simply cold.

If you really REALLY find that you can't survive with the heater, there are some constant flow hot water heaters that are designed to fit in the space where your Suburban HWH is installed. It's almost a "direct swap". With the constant flow heater, you've got hot water as long as the propane holds out. Keep in mind that if you're dry camping, your shower can only be as long as the fresh water tank and the holding tank work in unison..... LOL

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #12
SLIMSHADIE

X2 on the Oxygenics showerhead. Since it uses less water, the hot water will last longer, less water in the tanks also. This is one of the best mods and every camper should have this. The pressure is way better than that factory cheap one. It doesnt come with the push button shutoff, i bought one from Home Depot though.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
bsmith0404

When I only had a 6 gal tank, I turned up the hot water temp. Used a lot less hot mixed with the cold for a warm shower. Also used the water conservation method (or military method) water on to get wet, water off to wash, water on to rinse. We could usually get 2-3 people showered before it ran out.

Don't recommend turning the temps up if you have small children!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
When I only had a 6 gal tank, I turned up the hot water temp. Used a lot less hot mixed with the cold for a warm shower. Also used the water conservation method (or military method) water on to get wet, water off to wash, water on to rinse. We could usually get 2-3 people showered before it ran out.

Don't recommend turning the temps up if you have small children!
Unfortunately, there is no temperature adjustment on the new water heaters. The thermostat is set at 130 F. There is an optional thermostat available as a retrofit. It is set at 140 F. While changing the thermostat is not a difficult process, it's not going to increase hot water availability enough to make a 6 gallon water heater provide much more than another minute or two of shower time. Hardly seems worthwhile to change it out to make a 5 minute shower last 6 or 7 minutes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #15
izmu

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I can definetly see that I will learn a lot from this forum!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
unyalli

X 3 Oxygenics
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote