Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
DennisT

Spgdale 266RL, 2009: need tips to sell one, (health issues)

I'm sure this is not a new story for us older TT owners. We bought our first ever Springdale 266RL, 2009 model, two years ago. My wife has had health issues for years and I gave this a shot as, perhaps, a last attempt to have a method of travel she could deal with and have, "her own," house comforts. I already had a good pickup so were are capable for towing. Interestingly, I've not become fond of pulling it, but I do. We used it for a few short trips that first summer. Last Spring I replaced all 5 tires and both batteries. We planned two modest trips, (Spring and Fall) Her health has declined, (not life threatening), and she has never had the spirit or enough pain-free time to get off the ground with the TT. So we never got anywhere in 2013. Just put TT back inside for winter again. It has the pair of tall propane tanks and the second one is still from when it bought the TT!

So I think we have to sell it this Spring. Yes, I know there is a buy/sell forum here. I have an idea the RV dealer we got it from, (who sold it new originally), will offer to buy it for Spring used TT stock, but of course, we'll loose our shirt on that. I've also been told consignment isn't always the best method either. We'll take a hit any way we go.

Any tips from those of you who have sold trailers? I'm not expecting a magic answer. I have an offer from a friend to buy it for whatever price any dealer will give us. Might be the best way to go......

Thanks, Dennis in E WA
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
GaryWT

If you have an offer and it covers any loan or cost you have, take it and run. If not, list it on Craigslist to see what action you get. A dealer will low ball you and using anyone else, they will take 10-20% off the top.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
wbdvt

I bought a 2014 Cougar XLite 21RBS in the fall of 2013 but the dealer would not take my 2012 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S in trade as they had too much used inventory. He did agree to keep the Cougar on his lot until the spring when I had chance to sell the Rockwood.

I tried in the fall to sell but was unsuccessful at the price I wanted. I tried Craigs List and eBay. So I put the cover on it and put it to bed for the winter.

My strategy then was to wait until some RV shows in the spring. The first one in my area (sort of as I am in Vermont) was the Boston RV show Jan. 18. I put an ad in Craigs List in Boston, Rhode Island and New Hampshire. I started my ad with "Been to the Boston RV Show? Then you probably saw this camper or one similar but you can save significant dollars by buying this one!" I then listed details about it and attached lots of pics (max is 24 and I did 23).

I ended it selling it for midway between low and high in NADA guide price to a couple from Rhode Island.

Hope that helps.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
DennisT

selling

Thanks to the replies offered on my question. Gary, you're just about right on. Both replies make good sense, and pretty consistent with our feelings at the outset. I think the one key fact on travel trailers, motor homes, etc., is that a person better have ample money to throw around in order to, "play RV." Once purchased, value drops worse than cars and in no time at all an owner is left with very to work with when it comes time for disposition. Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
I.plod

Hi Dennis,

We were at the Richmond, VA show a couple of weeks ago and people had pulled their campers into the adjacent parking lot, set them up with lawn chairs and rugs, and hung out a "For Sale" sign on them.

If I had seen the floor plan I was interested in and the camper had looked in good shape I would have walked over and taken a tour.

Good luck. I've never had an issue with Craiglist, buying or selling. Stay on your toes, don't give anyone your PayPal email account info, you don't need any more sorrows than you already have.
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote