Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
alien_scones

Where is the check-valve? (PICS!)

Decided to go camping over New Years at The Vineyards Campground in Grapevine Texas.

Of course the reservation was made before the New Years forecast was available.

The temp only touched 30 Wednesday New Years morning, however Thursday morning qualified as a hard freeze at 20 with 30 MPH wind.

I learned a couple things:
  1. Leaving the water running at a slight trickle will not prevent the outside white water hose from completely freezing
  2. Leaving the water running at a slight trickle will freeze up the outside sewer hose outside and backup into your inside shower tub

The fam had to abandon ship Thursday morning leaving me for putaway and winterizing duties in sub-30 degree and a mighty cold wind from the north.

I managed putaway and thankfully thaw and dump with the assistance of a tank mounted propane heater and some abundant sunshine.

Thankfully the sewer hose only contained frozen water and coffee grounds.

Ok, now for the problem:

I first used a small air compressor to purge the lines inside. All good so far but knowing the pending onslaught of global warming this winter, I was prepared with 3 gallons of pink stuff on hand.

The first gallon happily flowed through open faucets throughout the camper since I left a couple faucet valves open.

The 2nd gallon, not so much. I left the pump running, sucking up the pink stuff, but this time I was working each faucet individually, so for some short durations the pink stuff was actually building up some pressure in the line.

Or so I thought.

For the 2nd gallon, the pink stuff was actually shooting out the city water connection onto the curb.

I'm pretty sure there is a checkvalve in the pipeworks to prevent this from happening.

Again with some assumptions here, I'm thinking the checkvalve broke during the freeze.

My question is - after you look at the pics - where is this checkvalve?

I placed an air blowout fitting on the city water connector to pink to finish the pink stuff distribution, but I figure this is going to be a PITA later if I don't fix it sooner.

alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

At the city water connection, you may have noticed a round, fine-meshed screen. If you remove the screen, right behind it there is a spring-loaded check valve which is there to prevent water flowing back out of the city water intake. I think this is the valve that you are referring to.

It can be accessed from the inside -- look at the 2nd photo -- it is right where the line joins the city water.

To prevent the check valve (and that short section of line that has no pink stuff - in the photo) from freezing, you can take a hand pump and manually pump antifreeze into the check valve and that short section of line.

You can pump antifreeze into the line at your black tank flush inlet. There is a short section there - including the anti-siphon valve - that should have pink stuff in it as well.

Both of these inlets, short runs of lines and check valves/anti-siphon) are subject to freezing and sometimes forgotten when winterizing.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
hankaye

alien_scones, Howdy;

CW has a few to choose from. The check valve is generally an integral
part of the hose connection.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...ll&Ntk=primary

Good luck.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote