Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
Minzmour

Boondocking with a 2210RB

Hey All

We just got our 2019 Passport 2210rb GT
This year we are doing strictly campgrounds/ full hookups but next year we’d like to Boondock more

Spoke to our dealer (who has been great) and he says adding a welded shelf for a generator to the back of the TT is nt recommended and would void the warranty and says the best way to Boondock for our TT is to get a solar panel and double up our batteries

We have furry kids so no AC would be concern

We pull with a 2018 Lincoln Navigator so putting the generator in the truck is a no go

Any suggestions? Thoughts on best options to get AC and not add anything structural to the TT

Thanks!
Amanda
Minzmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
chartrand

Perhaps the two little Honda generators running in parallel are an option? They provide enough power for your AC and each one are easily lifted into the back of your Navigator when in transition between locations.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If not having AC is an issue, then a generator is an absolute requirement. There isn't enough solar and an inverter or enough batteries to run the AC for any length of time.

You need a minimum of 3500 Watts to power the AC and if your off in the boonies then noise and "quiet hours" won't be much of a concern. Solar will help the 12V stuff last longer but only if you have the right battery(s) and enough solar. You can get small suitcase gens that can be tethered together for the AC and mayh fit in the compartment or even inside duriong travel, although I dont know if I would carry them inside the trailer.

lots to think about, doable but you need to figure out exactly whats important and whats not. Your dealer was correct about welding to the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

One alternative is an "A frame rack" mounted over the propane tanks. There are several available, one, by Stromberg/Carlsen is around $200 and available at almost any RV dealership (usually special order). Don't forget to consider that any weight added to the A frame is "directly considered as tongue weight" so consider how that will affect your tow vehicle during towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A FRAME RACK.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	20858  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
'A Frame' types are a real noise nuisance in a campground and shouldn't be allowed. They do not provide clean power for any electronic items,so what you save may cost you in the end. Get a 2000 watt Yamaha which has a vapour locking gas cap to eliminate fumes. Very quite and easy on fuel.
Yup, Yup and Yup.... My post was in reference to the A frame stand, not the generator. In fact, that photo is from a Stromberg/Carlsen advertisement, NOT from any trailer that I've ever seen. It was posted as an illustration of what the rack looks like, not as any endorsement for the generator that's positioned on the rack. If you happen to have a photo of an A frame rack with an inverter generator on it, I'd be very happy to accommodate your comments by changing my photo.... Otherwise, consider that I use inverter generators (sparingly) when dry camping and have NEVER endorsed "noisy generators in campgrounds"... In fact, I have stated a number of times that I'm opposed to inconsiderate people who use "open frame generators" in crowded campgrounds or even in sparsely populated areas where the use creates noise for neighboring campers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Logan X

If I’m not mistaken, the A frame rack refers to the rack itself which is mounted to the A frame of the trailer. In the above picture the rack has an open frame generator on it, which is loud and not conducive to camping. It appears from the picture that you could also install a quieter, inverter generator on the rack. However, a 2000 watt inverter generator will not run the air conditioner, which I believe is one of the OP’s requirements.

Edit-it appears I was posting at the same time as John.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
If I’m not mistaken, the A frame rack refers to the rack itself which is mounted to the A frame of the trailer. In the above picture the rack has an open frame generator on it, which is loud and not conducive to camping. It appears from the picture that you could also install a quieter, inverter generator on the rack. However, a 2000 watt inverter generator will not run the air conditioner, which I believe is one of the OP’s requirements.

Edit-it appears I was posting at the same time as John.
Yup, we were posting at the same time (great minds think alike, eh?)....

Seems charby "missed the point" entirely. My post was about the rack, not the generator. As for the OP's requirement to carry a +/- 3000 watt generator. The rack is rated at 300 pounds, so it should support most "RV sized" inverter generators. To "appease those who like quiet generators" I went searching for another "advertisement with a different generator"... hopefully this will "help those who are visually motivated".....

Note: For anyone who looks at photos too critically, no, this is not my trailer and I don't have a wooden A frame on which I've mounted a rack..... Additionally, it would be very difficult to crank up that tongue jack with the positioning of the propane tanks and cover, so it's (as the previous photo) for illustration purposes only.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A FRAME RACK WITH INVERTER GENERATOR.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	20890  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
I was mistaken the A frame for Open Frame... Got a knee jerk reaction of what I listen to at Acadia park Maine, last summer. It wasn't only one, but a couple sites using them to charge batteries. Not a peaceful experience. Need a 3000 watt for AC I believe. It can get expensive, and I can get by without AC when off grid, but I'm north of where Op could be.
I agree 100% that one should never use an open frame generator in a camping situation. It is important for all of us to be courteous to other campers, especially with noise (generator, music, impact driver, etc). I understand your “knee jerk reaction” to seeing the picture of the open frame generator, I hate those things too.

I also get by without AC when I’m boondocking, I use a 2000 watt Honda generator which works great and is light. I try to camp in cooler places in the summer and warmer places in the winter if I’m camping without hook ups.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yup, we were posting at the same time (great minds think alike, eh?)...
You are absolutely correct!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
busterbrown

There is always the option of installing a hard start capacitor or Easystart from Micro air to the existing AC unit in order to be able to utilize a smaller portable inverter generator. Grant it, concurrent use of major 115V appliances will severely limited. But the Microair kits will open up options of smaller generators.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
The John

Or you could carry the Generator in your trailer while you travel (depending on if you are able to secure it properly).

I do this with mine sometimes depending on whats in the bed, but my generator has one of no smell gas tank cap (its a technical term....) but I utilize tie downs in the front of my Outback.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking