Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Given the amp draw of the ViAir unit it would be best to use the truck battery and have the motor running during use.. That or make sure that you are plugged into shore power when using the ViAir
I have used mine several times without the engine running to air tires and fire up the impact wrench, without issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #42
notanlines

I better jump to Javi's defense. From Viair's website:
Q: Why does the engine need to be running while the compressor is on?
Answer: The engine needs to be on to because the compressor operates at 13.8 volts while in use and the battery doesn’t produce enough voltage without an alternator to recharge it. Which could cause high amp spikes or drain your battery.
I also would probably run the truck if I was using the compressor for any length of time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

I have one mounted in the bed of the truck. I wired it thru a relay that's only energized while the truck is running.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I better jump to Javi's defense. From Viair's website:
Q: Why does the engine need to be running while the compressor is on?
Answer: The engine needs to be on to because the compressor operates at 13.8 volts while in use and the battery doesn’t produce enough voltage without an alternator to recharge it. Which could cause high amp spikes or drain your battery.
I also would probably run the truck if I was using the compressor for any length of time.
I am sure Javi can defend himself, I don’t do this for extended periods. Mostly when using the air for Brad or staple driver. That and the Ram has two batteries so a short run doesn’t seem to be an issue. Mine is also wired through a relay so ignition needs to be on.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybadger View Post
All,

To close the loop, I ordered a Viair 40035 400P from Amazon; it will be here on Monday. The primary reasons I went this route was its weight, its ability to run off a battery rather than needing full electrical and its automatic function. The negatives were its cost and the fact that my 5er battery is nicely stored in a battery “container”.

Regarding cost, my only problem will be if (when?) Mary asks, “How much did that cost?”.

Regarding the battery, I could use the Ram’s battery. But, question for you guys: what about buying a spare battery to have as a backup to my current house battery, and not have it packed up in a container like my current one? Would that be OK, or is their any safety concerns I am not smart enough to know about yet?

Thanks for your help.

John

I use the battery on my truck for the Viair as Javi mentioned.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeyb View Post
I use a Dewalt 20 V MAX air compressor. It’s portable using a 20 v battery and charger that I share with my Dewalt drill. The compressor works great 0-150 PSI. You attach pump! Set desired pressure and it automaticLy adds pressure and stops at desired setting. Cost averages about $100. Very happy with it and save some space and $$s.
^^This X2. It does have to stop every 9 minutes to cool off. I have used mine to air up to 123PSI tires. Actually used it 3 weeks ago in Discount Tire parking lot. After a blowout and buying a new tire from DT, they didn't have a compressor that would go over 90PSI. Or so they said. It was quicker to take care of it myself rather than find their regulator.
I also carry the Dewalt 1/2" impact, 1/4" driver, drill, recip saw, and charger.
In a Craftsman tool bag. Theft prevention. LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #47
Javi

As a note, it can draw 30 amps
Old 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #48
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not wanting to start an argument but someone smarter than me would have to explain this. My understanding is there are two parameters, flow and pressure. Flow is measured in CFM (cubic feet per minute) and pressure measured in PSI (pounds per square inch).

If a compressor is rated at 150 psi then it should be capable of filling the tank to 150 psi. The tire is a container the same as the tank, just larger. That 150 psi doesn't know what size container it's filled, that's simple physics. Now, if you have that 150 psi tank and a regulator set to say 80 psi on the output side ( the hose) then the regulator will limit that pressure available to 80 psi on the hose.

The volume of air being moved (CFM) will have an effect on how long it will take for that compressor to attain the rated pressure. So obviously a high volume pump will fill a given size container faster than a low volume pump.
Yes.
Common air compressors are positive displacement with pistons and valves. Think like a car engine. They will keep pumping until something breaks. Pressure regulated by, wait for it...a pressure regulator.
There are centrifugal air compressors which can be limited by back pressure. These are mostly in industrial process service. Usually multistage, commonly 3 impellers with their shafts gear driven by the larger 1st stage shaft, aka: bull gear. Pressure and flow usually regulated by "kick back" valves. Discharge dumped back into suction.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #49
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeyb View Post
I use a Dewalt 20 V MAX air compressor. It’s portable using a 20 v battery and charger that I share with my Dewalt drill. The compressor works great 0-150 PSI. You attach pump! Set desired pressure and it automaticLy adds pressure and stops at desired setting. Cost averages about $100. Very happy with it and save some space and $$s.
I have basically the same thing in a Craftsman. Set the psi and let it run. 120v A/C, 12v D/C or 20v bat. $75 at Lowe's w/o battery. I recently bought a new hedge trimmer so now I have a battery also.

Carried a Bostich pancake compressor for a couple years but that was just 120v. and the Craftsman is about 1/3 the weight and space.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote