Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
tlyle1115

Dryer vent

Installing a combination washer/dryer unit in our Avalanche 366mb and have not been able to locate interior connection to vent dryer to outside. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You
tlyle1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

As a rule if there is a place to drill a hole for the exhaust vent it will be a label on the interior wall. Great care should be taken when putting a 4” hole in the side of an RV. Lots of measuring, taa sad king into account any hardware on the exterior.

I would drill a 1/4” pilot hole, then put a layer of tape on the exterior before drilling and would start from the exterior.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:27 PM   #3
SargeW

There is not always a label for where to drill for the vent. I do not have any such label either and called Keystone for advice. Their reply was to call the dealer. I did, and the dealer didn't have a clue.

I would proceed by laying out the 4" circle on the wall where you think the vent would work, then with a small drill bit start drilling around the circumference of the intended location for the vent. The idea is to locate an area where there is no wall stud. Being that most of the wall is a layer of luan on each side of a sandwich of Styrofoam, there is a good chance that you will miss a wall stud. If you do happen to hit a stud, then move a few inches in either direction to find a clear area.

I will be doing the same in a day or so to locate the vent for my washer/dryer combo unit. Keystone will provide NO HELP for most technical issues, so you are on your own.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:49 PM   #4
Fish-a-Palooza

When you guys are saying washer/dryer combo unit, are you referring to a single unit or a stackable but separate washer and dryer? If it's a combo unit you don't need a vent. The combo units vent through the drain hose. Drilling a hole in an exterior wall will be for nothing.

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:51 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

You can get a vented combo unit:

https://www.campingworld.com/splendi...f&gclsrc=3p.ds

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
There is not always a label for where to drill for the vent. I do not have any such label either and called Keystone for advice. Their reply was to call the dealer. I did, and the dealer didn't have a clue.

I would proceed by laying out the 4" circle on the wall where you think the vent would work, then with a small drill bit start drilling around the circumference of the intended location for the vent. The idea is to locate an area where there is no wall stud. Being that most of the wall is a layer of luan on each side of a sandwich of Styrofoam, there is a good chance that you will miss a wall stud. If you do happen to hit a stud, then move a few inches in either direction to find a clear area.

I will be doing the same in a day or so to locate the vent for my washer/dryer combo unit. Keystone will provide NO HELP for most technical issues, so you are on your own.

in my line of work when i need to see what’s in a wall i drill a small hole on the interior side or hidden side and stick a small bent wire inside and spin it around and see if it hits anything..pretty simple way of doing it..you can usually move the larger hole over if need be to cover the pilot hole
Old 03-18-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
SargeW

Shoot, I cut a 3' hole in the side of a brand new Tiffin Phaeton in 2013 to put in a outside TV that the dealer didn't order. Did it in the camp area of the service center in Red Bay Alabama.

I plan to draw out a 4" circle where I suspect I will need the vent to be on the inside wall. Then I will drill around the 4" circle with a 1/8 drill bit about every 1/2". If I don't hit anything solid (other than the foam inside the wall panel) I wii follow it up with a 4" hole saw. Once the pilot bit pops through I will go around the outside and drill from the outside in.

It's rocket science, but 30 seconds from Keystone to tell me if there was a stud in the area would have been nice.

Unvented dryers or Combo units are a huge waste IMHO. WAY to long to dry anything.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:17 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Shoot, I cut a 3' hole in the side of a brand new Tiffin Phaeton in 2013 to put in a outside TV that the dealer didn't order. Did it in the camp area of the service center in Red Bay Alabama.

I plan to draw out a 4" circle where I suspect I will need the vent to be on the inside wall. Then I will drill around the 4" circle with a 1/8 drill bit about every 1/2". If I don't hit anything solid (other than the foam inside the wall panel) I wii follow it up with a 4" hole saw. Once the pilot bit pops through I will go around the outside and drill from the outside in.

It's rocket science, but 30 seconds from Keystone to tell me if there was a stud in the area would have been nice.

Unvented dryers or Combo units are a huge waste IMHO. WAY to long to dry anything.

yeah either way works just fine but if you drill around the circumference and then hit a stud…when you move the hole over it doesn’t cover your existing hole at the stud…if you drill one hole ( and hopefully don’t hit a stud ) and use the wire to probe inside you can almost always end up with covering the pilot hole with the larger bit..in addition you would want a 4 1/4 “ hole saw..might get away with 4 1/8 or 4 3/16 but i’d measure first..harder to enlarge a hole neatly after it’s cut too small
Old 03-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

For the record, since the walls are solid styrofoam, I have hit a wall stud a time or two. I just keep on going and haven’t had a customer come back with any structural issues yet.

I use a 1/4” long drill bit from the inside. And like I said before use painters tape on the exterior so the hole saw bit doesn’t splinter the filon, and go for it!!

Old 03-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
For the record, since the walls are solid styrofoam, I have hit a wall stud a time or two. I just keep on going and haven’t had a customer come back with any structural issues yet.

I use a 1/4” long drill bit from the inside. And like I said before use painters tape on the exterior so the hole saw bit doesn’t splinter the filon, and go for it!!
hmmm i didn’t realize the walls were not hollow..oh well lol
Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Exterior walls are layered:

Aluminum framing, all voids filled with styrofoam and then wall panel on inside, filon and Luan on exterior (or Adzel) then glue is applied and it’s all sandwiched together.

When we do structural repairs, we cut the exterior filon, and remove the styrofoam with a multi tool. Replace any aluminum framing and then glue new styrofoam in the voids. With a “backer” glued in at the seams for the filon.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:19 PM   #12
travelin texans

I used a piece of foam board placed against the wall then pushed the combo unit into place putting an indention in the foam board, I then used a pick through the foam board marking the center. I then moved the foam, marked the 4" circle then using the pick punched through the paneling to insure I didn't hit a stud. Drilled the center hole then went outside, taped where the cut would & drilled the outside then moved inside.
Drilling through the exterior wall of a brand new 5er if rating from 1 to 10 on the pucker factor scale this rated about a 12. But all went well & the combo unit installed.
My best advice would be DON'T get the combo, get the stackables, you'll be glad you did. Had the combo in the 1st new 5er & the stackables in the 2nd & a night/day difference, wouldn't ever do the combo again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #13
SargeW

I have had the combo unit before on 2 other RV's, so I am aware of the trade offs. At this point in life the TT will be used for shorter trips, a week or less usually so we can deal with the issues. The combo unit will save on weight and free up the other cabinet for much needed storage. I appreciate the install comments.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #14
bobbecky

Try one of these. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Dewalt...74125094&psc=1
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:24 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We had one of those at a previous employer. RV Had to be plugged in to identify 120VAC lines.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:18 PM   #16
SargeW

I have one. It doesn't like the density of the wall and confuses the readings. Likely I will just do the drill and probe method to identify any solid spaces. And if there is any doubt I can always remove the Luan from the inside of the cabinet with a multi tool since I will be cutting out the hole for the opening anyway.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #17
jamtracy

Please educate yourself before responding. Thanks
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #18
SargeW

I probed the wall with a 1/8" drill bit and no resistence anywhere in the area. When the vent arrives I will mark and drill out the wall board.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:58 AM   #19
DAMILLER_SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyle1115 View Post
Installing a combination washer/dryer unit in our Avalanche 366mb and have not been able to locate interior connection to vent dryer to outside. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You
I would strongly suggest looking into what's called a "ventless" dryer. Several companies make them, I put one in my mother's home that was built in 1956 before the popularity of the clothes dryer. They vent liquid out with your washing machine, and as the name implies does not need a vent but there is additional maintenance.
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I would strongly suggest looking into what's called a "ventless" dryer. Several companies make them, I put one in my mother's home that was built in 1956 before the popularity of the clothes dryer. They vent liquid out with your washing machine, and as the name implies does not need a vent but there is additional maintenance.
I did do research on the ventless prior to installing the vented. The reviews all stated it extended the drying time considerably, which for the combo is already 1/2 a day per load, so that was out. The other was the added humidity inside the rv, which is also a no go.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent