Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #1
Firefighter1406

Electric Jack question.

Alright my old camper had the manual crank scissor jacks and JT Strong arms. That this is solid as a rock, no movements. Just bought a 2011 Outback 312BH. It came with the electric stabilizer jacks that the previous owner added. They are install nicely however I rapidly noticed they don’t stabilize anything. After research that’s the consensus. However a while back I picked up these Lippert Jacks that are supported to be part of their auto leveling systems for cheap. If I built mounting points would these jacks be able to level the trailer better and more rated to handle it?

Or do I just need to go back the manual ones with the JT Strongarms?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CF4A4F9-A815-4EDA-AA55-F5D7E57ADD33.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	43262  
Firefighter1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I can't tell that much from the picture, and someone else may know them at sight, but they look like regular stabilizer jacks to me which wouldn't improve over what you have.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Firefighter1406

These are the ones on the camper. These one have one motor for both side. The other jacks I have are 1 motor per jack. If you click the pictures it gives a clearer picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77323B3F-D321-4340-B5C9-472D3162ECE7.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	43264  
Old 03-13-2023, 07:44 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1406 View Post
Alright my old camper had the manual crank scissor jacks and JT Strong arms. That this is solid as a rock, no movements. Just bought a 2011 Outback 312BH. It came with the electric stabilizer jacks that the previous owner added. They are install nicely however I rapidly noticed they don’t stabilize anything. After research that’s the consensus. However a while back I picked up these Lippert Jacks that are supported to be part of their auto leveling systems for cheap. If I built mounting points would these jacks be able to level the trailer better and more rated to handle it?

Or do I just need to go back the manual ones with the JT Strongarms?
No! Those are not levelers, they're stabilizers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
No! Those are not levelers, they're stabilizers.
The term stabilizer isn't quite an apt name for those or the manual ones. I guess they help somewhat with the trailer rocking/swaying when someone is moving around the cabin but only marginally so. I don't notice it much and don't want to add more complication with those strongarm things as I am not bothered. I guess if a couple were young and frisky they might want to add such devices so as not to be the talk of the campground.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:37 AM   #6
spicercars

First of all, they are stabilizer jacks not made for leveling. They are made to put down after the rig is level to stabilize. Most of the movement on and RV is front to rear. Thats why the strongarm system works as well as it does.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:51 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If you look at the link, scroll down a bit and look close, the ones the OP posted sure look like the ones I have installed on travel trailers.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...ent=0%20-%2030

OP: you need to look at the installation manual to figure out how to fabricate the correct mounting system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:21 AM   #8
markcee

About 99% sure those are the front arms for the Lippert Ground Control TT automatic leveling system.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:28 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Each jack having it's own independent motor is definitely the way to go. Why? Because if you are ever parked on a slope (side-to-side slope), each jack can be lowered different lengths. Not every campsite is ancient aqua duck level! Especially in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and the Carolina's.

But, those jacks are not "levelers" they are stabilizers. What that means is, they are designed to keep the trailer from tipping if too much weight rests on the tail end, causing the front end jack to left off the ground (which is possible, not practical, but possible). And on the sides, their purpose is to keep the trailer from rocking so much side-to-side.

In your case, adding the original Strongarms manual style, is the sure-fire way to do it.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

https://store.lci1.com/ground-control-tt-kit-672136

They are from an auto LEVEL system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:25 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, those look like the auto "levelers" from the auto level system Chuck linked. From looking at the description those looked have a total of 10k lbs for the system; I am assuming all 4 jacks equaling 2500lbs. per jack - what does your trailer weigh?

If trying to install as standalone jacks you would have to rig up some wiring and switches to operate them independently so you would need to have that kind of knowledge or access to it. Also, if only using 2 I would think they would still be nothing more than heavy duty stablilizers. You will have to level your trailer side to side, front to back first and then just drop those for support. If you try to level the entire trailer from only 2 points, whether it be front or back, you are going to twist the frame so from a leveling standpoint I don't think they would work well.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
Firefighter1406

The switches and everything are already in place. I would just be fabricating a mount. So I am torn I guess. My son was really looking forward to the electric jacks and so was I. The trailer should be under 10K, dry weight is 7,500. So I may try out mounting up the lack’s and see how they do however it may just be a swap out and go back to the manual and strong arm jacks.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The switches and everything are already in place. I would just be fabricating a mount. So I am torn I guess. My son was really looking forward to the electric jacks and so was I. The trailer should be under 10K, dry weight is 7,500. So I may try out mounting up the lack’s and see how they do however it may just be a swap out and go back to the manual and strong arm jacks.
Chuck is much more experienced in this than me, but on many (maybe most) light weight trailer frames, putting a "leveling jack" on each rear corner" can twist the frame so much that the doors won't close and could, possibly put enogh torque on the floor/sidewall fasteners to actually separate the floor from the wall. That's not a common result, but.....

I know that Lippert was recommending that no levelers could be installed on some frames, and then a couple years later, they were installing levelers on those same trailer floorplans, so apparently Lippert made some changes to the frames between those years. What the changes were, what they beefed up and how they did it might well be "not much at all" or it may be a series of upgrades that you can't incorporate into the older frame design... I simply don't know just what the differences were between those two recommendations... Or which frames were compatible with levelers and which were not....

The lighter the manufacturers are making trailers, the lighter frames they order from NOCO and Lippert and the less strength there is to resist twisting....

Depending on what type of frame is under your trailer, it may well be "not strong enough for a leveling system" and installing one may end up doing more damage than you'd imagine....

I'd do some good research before investing the time to manufacture mounts and installing them only to find out that Lippert and Keystone both are recommending that no leveling system is compatible with that model trailer....

I'd urge you to contact both Keystone and Lippert before doing something that you might not be able to undo.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:24 PM   #14
Firefighter1406

I appreciate the heads up and all the info. Guess I need to get down and dirty and do more research. You would think this would be easy but apparently not.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I would start with a call to LCI tech support. Tell them what frame you have and they should be able to tell you if you can even mount them. LCI tech support is top notch.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I appreciate the heads up and all the info. Guess I need to get down and dirty and do more research. You would think this would be easy but apparently not.
Well, it's "sort of like" trying to install a GM turbocharger on a Ford diesel... Sure, the technology is similar, but the application, well, that's where it gets "really tricky"....

For some "history", way back when leveling systems began to show up on fifth wheels, several people wanted to install them on their travel trailers. Obviously, they wouldn't fit without some extensive frame modifications. That stopped most people from proceeding, but a few did do some "hack mods to install levelers" and some worked, but some people wound up with some pretty significant damage. It was 4 or 5 years after levelers came out on fifth wheels before they started showing up on travel trailers.

I'm not suggesting that it won't work, rather just make sure your frame is rigid enough to survive the torque that a leveler system or part of a level system will place on the frame....

When you talk to Keystone, you might hear, "Yes, your trailer is equipped with the fittings for the optional leveling system. Just pull the coroplast back and you'll see the mounting holes for the adapters already in the frame."

Then you might not get such good news..... Only contacting Lippert and Keystone will tell you what they recommend.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:23 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

OP for clarification; did you get the entire leveling kit or just 2 jacks? I don't see how you are going to use 2 leveling jacks alone to level a trailer without damage. I was under the impression you only had 2.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Last GC TT I installed required drilling the frame, there were no “preset” brackets.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #19
Firefighter1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, it's "sort of like" trying to install a GM turbocharger on a Ford diesel... Sure, the technology is similar, but the application, well, that's where it gets "really tricky"....

For some "history", way back when leveling systems began to show up on fifth wheels, several people wanted to install them on their travel trailers. Obviously, they wouldn't fit without some extensive frame modifications. That stopped most people from proceeding, but a few did do some "hack mods to install levelers" and some worked, but some people wound up with some pretty significant damage. It was 4 or 5 years after levelers came out on fifth wheels before they started showing up on travel trailers.

I'm not suggesting that it won't work, rather just make sure your frame is rigid enough to survive the torque that a leveler system or part of a level system will place on the frame....

When you talk to Keystone, you might hear, "Yes, your trailer is equipped with the fittings for the optional leveling system. Just pull the coroplast back and you'll see the mounting holes for the adapters already in the frame."

Then you might not get such good news..... Only contacting Lippert and Keystone will tell you what they recommend.
I get it. Definitely not trying to mess anything up.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:33 PM   #20
Firefighter1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP for clarification; did you get the entire leveling kit or just 2 jacks? I don't see how you are going to use 2 leveling jacks alone to level a trailer without damage. I was under the impression you only had 2.

I have 4 jacks. Just to clarify I am not trying to install a leveling system. I got 4 jacks for $50. So my thoughts were to mount them similarly to the electric junk stabilizer jacks that are on the camper currently. And since they are jacks designed for a leveling system(not trying to install a complete leveling system) they might be able to put a little more force to the ground to be able to stabilize the camper better then currently. If it’s not a good idea then I will just be getting manual jacks and installing them with the JT strong arms and calling it a day. Of course to my sons dismay but oh well.

Tags
jack