Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
grizwilson

Pre installed Lippert or ??? TPMS?

Our new Cougar 24RDS comes pre wired Lippert TMPS. Wondering if we should buy the necessary system parts or go with a different brand? Thanks
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:42 AM   #2
cougar23

Our 2023 Cougar 23MLE also came "pre-wired". This is just for a sending unit, you still must buy the complete kit. I chose to buy a TST-507 system which is considered the best at a cheaper price. Simple to install but I had to call customer support to help me program monitor. Very nice people to deal with.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:54 AM   #3
grizwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Our 2023 Cougar 23MLE also came "pre-wired". This is just for a sending unit, you still must buy the complete kit. I chose to buy a TST-507 system which is considered the best at a cheaper price. Simple to install but I had to call customer support to help me program monitor. Very nice people to deal with.
guess I am looking in the wrong place for better price ??:

https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Monito...0-5ec63b24bcb5

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 03-13-2023, 02:48 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Keep in mind that without a dedicated monitor you will be trying to catch view of your phone which contains the app that works with the Lippert system. There are those here who can't read phone screen very well while driving. My TPMS has its own display and I didn't go with the forum favorite because I purchased mine at the height of shortages during pandemic and they were out of stock.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

George brings up a very good point: Using your phone with an app to monitor tires is not an easy way to get immediate information while towing a trailer down the highway at 65MPH... You hear your phone "beeping" while also using it to monitor texts, get GPS information, make a phone call and the "screen is on screen saver" so you "hold the steering wheel with one hand while "swiping up to unlock the screen" put in your security pin on the keypad, try to get to the TPMS app screen while the GPS is saying to turn left in 6/10 mile.

OK, maybe you've got 6 hands and 4 ears and can keep all that "working well while not skipping over the white line and pissing off the other traffic on the road..... Or, maybe there's a good reason to consider a "Dedicated TPMS screen" that you can glance over to without taking your eyes off the road ahead of you, all while keeping both hands on the wheel and staying in your lane....

So, while everyone seems to think "smart phones can do everything"... In reality, they can do many things "half-a$$" and you can use them to talk, just like "dumb phones"....

Having a "real TPMS" not a "phone app" simplifies the process and gives you IMMEDIATE information without having to "fiddle with a phone" to see what the beep means.... YMMV, but I sure do prefer a system that does one thing exactly as it was designed to do rather than a system that does 15 things, but none of them better than "mediocre"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:11 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to jump into this conversation but after nearly getting run down by one that lives and breathes on a smart phone in their car yesterday....

They have no business in a car/truck other than to sit in a seat, in a bag or on your hip. There is nothing in this world important enough to try to stare at that tiny screen while endangering other people's lives - nothing. If a person needs a TPMS, get one. If you need navigation, get one. The phone wasn't meant for that and certainly does not do it well...or even adequately. You need to talk? Do it either hands free or when you get home. People that spend their lives hooked to their device while on the road should not be allowed to drive. OK, rant over but put those devices under the seat if you are driving.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:54 PM   #7
travelin texans

I totally agree with others, get a system with it's own monitor, I found myself looking at that monitor as often as I did the mirrors. If your thinking of one with a phone app......... DON'T!
I'd also highly recommend the TST507.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I find signs about NO TEXTING WHILE DRIVING amusing. I can barely send text messages with one finger on my right hand much less do it while driving plus can't read the text messages without reading glasses which I don't wear while driving. I do think phone calls are better using the radio/bluetooth than sitting there with the phone cradled against your neck and shoulder if you must talk on the phone. I inherited a set of earphones and mics with my trike when I bought it a few years ago and found out quickly my wife wasn't interested in my comments while driving (I use comments roughly in this context).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:24 AM   #9
Weldon

I bought this one a year or so ago from Amazon and have no complaints. Only hassle is finding the batteries for each sensor. I've replaced 2 of 4 in a year, but when I found them at CVS, I bought 4 of them so I would have a couple extras.

EEZTire-TPMS Real Time/24x7 Tire...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:53 AM   #10
grizwilson

Ordered the TireMinder i10 RV TPMS with 8 Transmitters off Amazon will see how we get along. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #11
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Ordered the TireMinder i10 RV TPMS with 8 Transmitters off Amazon will see how we get along. Thanks for the thoughts.
My cousin and I both have the TireMinder system and have no complaints.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #12
ncstan

Pre-installed Lippert

You don't have to use your phone to use the Lippert system. You can mount a tablet and use that. Works great!
ncstan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led