Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2023, 05:29 AM   #1
Dirtflinger66

Question Distribution hitch… need it or don’t?

Hello again, Well we upgraded and got us a diesel. 3500 GMC. My question is I tow a 2022 301UBH (9200 lbs loaded) and with the old truck have the distribution hitch and all worked great. I know I have to set the height etc with it on the new truck with the hitch itself, but I hear you don’t need the bars/ use the bars for sway. Should I set it to height and use it as normal or find a different set up? Need advice and suggestions please. New truck is not a dually.
Dirtflinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:40 AM   #2
jasin1

i see that GM has built in sway control? not sure how good that is but interesting…i was looking at a small Tacoma the other day for a little service truck and noticed it came standard…never realized it was a thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43BC0DD0-53E8-4912-852B-669B83291307.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	43203  
Old 03-05-2023, 05:47 AM   #3
Dirtflinger66

I dont have that option. We bought a 2017 Denali with 22000 miles on it. Hell of a deal to pass up. It has exhaust brake etc. but I don’t think the sway control is an option? I’m reading the manual. Lol
Old 03-05-2023, 07:08 AM   #4
notanlines

Flinger, 35 feet long equals WDH and sway control.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
Dirtflinger66

I can’t find any info just yet, but I’m in agreement with ya. Use it and rather be safe than sorry!
Old 03-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You need the wdh and sway. You've got a 35' slab sided sail behind a SRW truck. The built in anti sway, if any, isn't meant to control the kind of sway the trailer can produce.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I towed a 31 foot Keystone Springdale for 8 years and a Keystone Outback 35 foot for 5 years with one ton 3500 diesel long bed dually's and I used weight distribution hitches and bars with both trucks and both trailers.

Your truck will have some squat when you hitch up. It WILL squat! And if it only squats 1 inch, that throws your head lights up in the air, and causes a different feeling when towing that is ... well ... just different than not towing.

Adding the bars and adjusting them just to the point the truck does not squat the rear more than the front, you'll see world of difference in the tow (with opposed to without WD).

Because the truck is very stout to begin with, it does not require a horrible amount of tension on the bars. It needs just enough to keep the truck level. But yes .... you need weight distribution and sway control.

Without WD, both my Chevy dually's squated about 2 inches on the rear. Once the bars were added, it squatted about 1/2 inch all the way around. Both trucks, several years apart from each other. And these are dually's and one tons!
Old 03-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
Max23

Not thoroughly understanding how the built in "sway control" helps, I know my truck has it and how it works, just not how it helps. It uses the brakes on the truck on opposing wheels to somehow help reduce already happening sway. I would think, at that point, it's usually a bit too late. Not???? I don't understand how that would help the trailer sway reduce. I'm also not a physicist so while I do understand a lot about physics, this one escapes me. Use a WDH with sway control is all I would suggest to anyone.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to the expert advice being given in this thread, when in doubt, it's always a good idea to check what the engineering staff at the manufacturer says about WD hitch/sway control recommendations.... GMC, in their infinite wisdom, just happened to include a chart in the 2017 GMC Towing Guide.

Check the GMC Towing guide: https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/g...ring-guide.pdf On page 14, there's a chart that defines towing classifications, recommended hitch type (footnote states "This is the minimum recommended hitch type") The rig in question falls in the Extra Heavy Duty IV class (5001-10000 pounds) and the minimum hitch recommendation is a WD hitch for the expected tongue weight of 10-15% with a MAXIMUM tongue weight of 1200 pounds.... So, that should cover the "need for a WD hitch"..

Now for the anti-sway requirement: In that same "2017 GMC Trailering Guide" at the very end, in the black box is this statement:

"TRAILERING WITH YOUR GMC: GMC vehicles are built strong and durable to handle the demands of trailering. Certain equipment that prepares a GMC vehicle for trailering is standard: a large fuel tank, a high-capacity alternator and a front stabilizer bar. For other available trailering-related equipment, talk to your dealer. You’ll need a hitch, of course, and a wide selection of hitch types is available, either as factory equipment or from your dealer. In addition, if you plan to tow frequently, you should equip your GMC vehicle with the available Trailering Package. This package includes a weight-distributing hitch platform and an electrical harness. Also required with this package are a hitch ball, a mounting head and weight-distributing and mechanical anti-sway assemblies; these are available through aftermarket sources. Please carefully review your GMC Owner’s Manual for important safety information about trailering with your vehicle."

I've bolded and changed the "important part" to red so it's easier to find. In conclusion, GMC states, in their trailering guide, that when towing with a GMC with a trailer in the extra heavy duty class, that a weight distributing hitch is "REQUIRED" with a maximum trailer hitch weight of . And, the same guide states that an aftermarket anti-sway device is "RECOMMENDED". pounds.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #10
Dirtflinger66

Thank you all for the input, I’m going to stay with the WDH and run it. I’ve only been at this for a short while. Much appreciated!

Tags
hitch