Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2023, 09:03 PM   #1
weevedogg

Keystone Alpine electric issues

Just got my trailer out of the shop as they replaced inverter, I replaced the batteries the day I got it out of the shop, it sat plugged into 110 power just because to keep all charged I guess, so anyway first trip out, pulled all slides in hooked up disconnected power and took off, got to my site and could barley get the jacks down to unload, and trailer was black zero power was getting low voltage error. Hooked up my buddies Gen 110 power, lights came on control panel working again but still was Getting low voltage error when trying to self level, batteries are fully charged also, checked the inline breakers and power on both sides of breaker terminals, so not sure where to go from here and looking for some help?
weevedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevedogg View Post
Just got my trailer out of the shop as they replaced inverter, I replaced the batteries the day I got it out of the shop, it sat plugged into 110 power just because to keep all charged I guess, so anyway first trip out, pulled all slides in hooked up disconnected power and took off, got to my site and could barley get the jacks down to unload, and trailer was black zero power was getting low voltage error. Hooked up my buddies Gen 110 power, lights came on control panel working again but still was Getting low voltage error when trying to self level, batteries are fully charged also, checked the inline breakers and power on both sides of breaker terminals, so not sure where to go from here and looking for some help?
They replaced your "INverter" or "CONverter"?
Inverter uses battery power to provide 120 volts to a few plugs.
Converter uses 120 volts to charge the batteries & provide 12 volt power when shore power or generator are connected.
The inverter would have nothing to do with leveler operation as it's 12 volt powered directly from the batteries.
I'd guess either they used the battery disconnect, if equipped, when working & left it off/disconnected or when replacing the battery sparked one of the cables blowing the 40 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter or maybe as simple as they didn't turn the converter on.
Whatever the cause it sounds like the converter is not charging the batteries when connected to shore power.
Also what type of batteries did they install? If they are the typical dealer installed hybrid cranking batteries those are best suited for cranking motors not the constant charge/discharge cycles in a rv, you need true deep cycle batteries, group 24, 27 or 31s.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevedogg View Post
Aside from the CONverter/INverter issue, Look to the bolded statement in your response.

Any time you replace batteries, just a simple "quick touch" of the battery cables to the wrong battery terminal will cause the reverse polarity fuses to open (blow) and cause the CONverter to no longer send any charge to the battery/batteries.

That would be my VERY FIRST check, Are the reverse polarity fuses on the trailer power center blown ??? If they are, it's only a matter of a few (3-5) days before the batteries are dead from "phantom drains" in the trailer 12 volt system. It does not make a difference whether the trailer is plugged into shore power or not, those fuses "disconnect the charger from the battery bank.

The reverse polarity fuses are either located on the face of the 12 volt distribution panel inside the front door of the power center or they are located on the end of the CONverter, which is either mounted behind the power center in the lower half of that component or it is mounted very near the power center, usually on the trailer floor, directly behind it.

Here are photos of the reverse polarity fuses in both locations. Keep in mind, that IF your trailer is a "previously owned unit" then it's entirely possible that the previous owner might have replaced the CONverter and could have used one with fuses, even though there are also reverse polarity fuses on the power center faceplate.... So, if you have ANY history of the converter being replaced, be sure to check BOTH locations, the CONverter itself AND the power center 12 volt distribution panel.....

Addressing the part in red, if you were connected to a generator or to shore power and checked the "battery level" indicators on the battery status panel, then it will ALWAYS read "fully charged"13.6VDC" because the CONverter output is applied to the status panel, even if the reverse polarity fuses are blown and the CONverter is isolated (by the fuses) from the batteries. So, using the "battery status panel" to verify "fully charged batteries" is a false indicator if you are connected to a generator or shore power.

The only way to confirm battery charge condition is to disconnect them from the trailer (undo the battery cables) and let the batteries sit for about 30 minutes, then check the voltage OR measure the specific gravity with a battery tester.

If the trailer is connected to a 120 VAC source, the battery status panel is reading "CONverter output" not "battery output"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REVERSE POLARITY FUSES ON FUSE PANEL.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	43188   Click image for larger version

Name:	REVERSE POLARITY FUSES ON CONVERTER.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	43189  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
bobbecky

Might also have a battery disconnect switch open that stops the converter from sending juice to the battery. You would still have a little power to the rig's 12 volt systems when plugged in to 120 volt power, but none charging the batteries and even if the batteries are fully charged, the power from the batteries will not get to the electric distribution panel.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

OP posted his issue and logged off 20 minutes later. I would think the OP will return if he expects to be helped. It would also help to know year, make and model of his camper and if the camper has a 12V refrigerator or propane/110V.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, keystone