Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #1
nickofosho

Tire Wear on Rainier ST

Hello all, I’ve got a tire question that may have been answered somewhere else on the forum, but I couldn’t find the info I was looking for so please bear with me if this is repetitive.

I’ve got Rainier ST tires on my 2020 Hideout, factory installed. I ran over something and had a slow leak and when I put on the spare I noticed how worn the tire was compared to the brand new spare. The tires have a little over 6K miles on them. I’ve included a photo below, which doesn’t make the wear look as bad as it actually is. But, does this wear seem excessive for 6K miles? Are these tires “China Bombs”? Thinking it is time to replace them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37585F34-0B49-4024-BE7E-954BA1257E79.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	43159  
nickofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
jsb5717

Generally speaking, yes, those are considered China Bombs. Seems to me to be excessive wear but am curious about how you're using them.

Your 2020 28BHSWE has a GVWR of 9620lbs. What size and rating are the tires? Do you run them at their max PSI rating?

PS. It is helpful to go to UserCP/Edit Signature and create a signature with your truck and trailer info so answering questions is easier.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Wear on ONE tire when compared to a new tire isn't a reliable way to determine wear.... Compare the tire in question with the other three that have been exposed to similar conditions. That will tell you if the wear is isolated to that one tire or if it's the "normal wear conditions for all 4 that have travelled 6,000 miles...

As for the "center tread wear", sooner or later you're going to hear the words, "Your tires are overinflated".... While that could be true, remember that you need to run the same tire pressure on BOTH ends of the axle, so while it "could be over inflated" it also could be "set to match the weight on the other end of the axle"... Often times, one end will be carrying a refrigerator or a heavy pantry in a large, heavy slide and the other end of the same axle is carrying a LCD TV in an empty cabinet.... So, look at the "whole picture" not just wear on ONE tire compared to a new tire.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
CWtheMan

The worn tire may be in an early stage of tread separation.

The taller of the two same size and load range tires in the picture is very close to failure.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1677611683
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114[1].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	43164  
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Generally speaking, yes, those are considered China Bombs. Seems to me to be excessive wear but am curious about how you're using them.

Your 2020 28BHSWE has a GVWR of 9620lbs. What size and rating are the tires? Do you run them at their max PSI rating?

PS. It is helpful to go to UserCP/Edit Signature and create a signature with your truck and trailer info so answering questions is easier.

The tires are ST 225/75R15. I run them at max PSI per the sticker on the trailer (which always seemed high to me…). The trailer generally is about 80% to 90% it’s GVWR.

We are in California and they have seen a variety of conditions including 100+, sun 30s and some off road.

Thanks for the PS tip, I will do that.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #6
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Wear on ONE tire when compared to a new tire isn't a reliable way to determine wear.... Compare the tire in question with the other three that have been exposed to similar conditions. That will tell you if the wear is isolated to that one tire or if it's the "normal wear conditions for all 4 that have travelled 6,000 miles...

As for the "center tread wear", sooner or later you're going to hear the words, "Your tires are overinflated".... While that could be true, remember that you need to run the same tire pressure on BOTH ends of the axle, so while it "could be over inflated" it also could be "set to match the weight on the other end of the axle"... Often times, one end will be carrying a refrigerator or a heavy pantry in a large, heavy slide and the other end of the same axle is carrying a LCD TV in an empty cabinet.... So, look at the "whole picture" not just wear on ONE tire compared to a new tire.....

Sorry, should have stated this in original post. All of the tires have very similar wear compared to the one removed. I’m concerned about the whole set. But yes, good point that comparing 6K miles to 0 miles isn’t a great indicator.

The tires overall seem to have worn much quicker than I anticipated.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Also, I noticed the same in the center of the tire. I run them all at the max PSI per the sticker on the trailer. Should I be running them lower?
Old 02-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The worn tire may be in an early stage of tread separation.

The taller of the two same size and load range tires in the picture is very close to failure.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1677611683
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

IMO the Raniers are just another china bomb. Don't have the terrible history of the Trailer Kings....but enough. This trailer had Raniers on it from Keystone. I had Sailuns put on it before I ever saw or picked it up from the dealer - they just don't have a "pedigree" I wanted to trust.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:19 AM   #10
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
IMO the Raniers are just another china bomb. Don't have the terrible history of the Trailer Kings....but enough. This trailer had Raniers on it from Keystone. I had Sailuns put on it before I ever saw or picked it up from the dealer - they just don't have a "pedigree" I wanted to trust.
Thanks for the input. That seems like a smart choice. Guess it’s time to put some new tires on!
Old 03-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofosho View Post
Thanks for the input. That seems like a smart choice. Guess it’s time to put some new tires on!
Sailun doesn't make 15" tires. Try Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle Radial HD Trail are both as superior tires and the Carlisle are considerably less expensive and what I use. Best price is to order online and take them to your favorite tire shop to be mounted. Some folks buy them at Discount Tire for the convenience. I suggest if you go to Discount Tire to have a link to the Walmart web page selling those tires as DT will price match.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
nickofosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sailun doesn't make 15" tires. Try Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle Radial HD Trail are both as superior tires and the Carlisle are considerably less expensive and what I use. Best price is to order online and take them to your favorite tire shop to be mounted. Some folks buy them at Discount Tire for the convenience. I suggest if you go to Discount Tire to have a link to the Walmart web page selling those tires as DT will price match.
Thanks so much! The Carlisle are what I’m looking at.