Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2023, 06:11 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Alaska

Summer of 2024 I am planning a trip to Alaska. Leaving from Iowa.

I have a friend in Kasilof that has a resort so that will be our main destination and home base but making several stops along the way.

My main question is, has anyone traveled from the this side of Canada to Alaska in the last few years? I've heard that the roads are not great but that might be outdated info.

I'm also making up a packing list of emergency items. If anyone has any additions I'm all ears.
So far this is the top of my head list
Generator, small air compressor, full toolbox, impact, cordless drill, torque wrench, extra rubber beyond spares for trailer and truck. patch kits, tire irons, plenty or ratchet straps
bearings for trailer, spare brake and drum set, maybe two. wet bolts, full set of springs and shackle brackets. full set of any fuses and breakers

I'm also wondering if I should get and install one heavier size spring pack and use the OE springs as my spares.

Also has anyone crossed the boarder with a firearm? Quick research shows that you can bring at minimum a shotgun for personal protection. Looks like it's just a form to fill out and declare it.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:46 AM   #2
notanlines

Brant, are you aware that you will not be traveling into a third-world country? Traveling with tire-irons? Wet bolts? Complete change of suspension? Shotgun? Really?
Yes, I am speaking from experience. We spent 8 weeks on our trip and enjoyed most every minute other than the 'bogus as a football bat' trip by bus to the Arctic circle. Now there is a waste of time. I believe you will find that the roads will be in reasonable shape, not suitable for 75 MPH in most areas north of Calgary however. 50 MPH will do you just fine. If you travel north to Dawson from White Horse and cross the ferry headed to Chicken then you will need to be even more wary of the roads until you get to Fairbanks.
I would be more inclined to carry two truck spares and two RV spares. Your tool choice is pretty standard if the TV can handle the weight.
Our group of four particularly enjoyed two aspects on the trip: The vast amount of wildlife seen every single day, and our time spent in places like Dawson, Chicken and similar towns where it can be seen how life was many years ago.
I will make this part short and to the point: Relax, lighten up, take it easy and look forward to the best trip of your life.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
flyingjack

Hello Brant, good luck on your trip. You mention several stops along the way. As a frequent user of backcountry locales for flying and RVing; I agree with your proposed kit. I believe Canada requires the $25 fee you mentioned for shotgun-absolutely. Also, I suggest you check into bear spray; many say better than a weapon. The locals we RV stay with in N MT ALWAYS carry bear spray and 45 (don't think Canada allows pistols without serious permits) when hiking; their SOP. You don't need it until you do.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #4
Brantlyj

I am aware of where I will be however the more north you go into Alaska the less services will be available. I don’t want to break down on the side of the road with the nearest town 100 miles away, a car once every few hours and parts 2 weeks to ship. Plus I have three young girls. I can’t just leave them at the camper will I travel or walk into town.
I have read several accounts of people breaking springs traveling to Alaska. All those items are cheap, returnable if not used and take up little space. Better to be safe than sorry.
I guess I don’t understand why you think a shotgun would be bad. I had a breakdown and was in the middle of nowhere, wild animals are wild. I’d rather be prepared.

I guess it’s just the Boyscout in me and I would rather not have a once in a lifetime trip be ruined. ��*♂️

As for my location choices, since my friends are in Kasilof we will be staying south. Current plan in order of visit is Denali, anchorage, Seward, Homer, Kasilof, Ancorage and traveling back through Banff, Glacier and maybe Yellowstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Brant, are you aware that you will not be traveling into a third-world country? Traveling with tire-irons? Wet bolts? Complete change of suspension? Shotgun? Really?
Yes, I am speaking from experience. We spent 8 weeks on our trip and enjoyed most every minute other than the 'bogus as a football bat' trip by bus to the Arctic circle. Now there is a waste of time. I believe you will find that the roads will be in reasonable shape, not suitable for 75 MPH in most areas north of Calgary however. 50 MPH will do you just fine. If you travel north to Dawson from White Horse and cross the ferry headed to Chicken then you will need to be even more wary of the roads until you get to Fairbanks.
I would be more inclined to carry two truck spares and two RV spares. Your tool choice is pretty standard if the TV can handle the weight.
Our group of four particularly enjoyed two aspects on the trip: The vast amount of wildlife seen every single day, and our time spent in places like Dawson, Chicken and similar towns where it can be seen how life was many years ago.
I will make this part short and to the point: Relax, lighten up, take it easy and look forward to the best trip of your life.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:23 AM   #5
Brantlyj

I posted my proposed route in my other reply but I will definitely have bear spray. The shotgun is more protection if we are broke down in no man’s land or at camp. I won’t be walking around with it. Lol.
Correct on no pistols in Canada. Which sucks cause I daily carry. Gonna feel so naked for two months. Lol also no AR’s. I might also bring a 22 for small game if again events put us on the side of the road for an extended time or the world goes to ****. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
Hello Brant, good luck on your trip. You mention several stops along the way. As a frequent user of backcountry locales for flying and RVing; I agree with your proposed kit. I believe Canada requires the $25 fee you mentioned for shotgun-absolutely. Also, I suggest you check into bear spray; many say better than a weapon. The locals we RV stay with in N MT ALWAYS carry bear spray and 45 (don't think Canada allows pistols without serious permits) when hiking; they’re SOP. You don't need it until you do.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If I were travelling to Alaska again and was considering taking a shotgun (which I have not yet done), I would make sure it's one of my older ones (or I'd buy a cheap, disposable one) for the trip... I would not consider risking one of my Beretta or Benelli guns. While I'm sure there's hundreds of border crossings daily where there is no problem, just my luck that the border agent who filled out my form at the Canadian border transposed 2 numbers in my gun's serial number and when I'm leaving Canada at the Alaskan border, they confiscate my "prized Benelli" because the serial number doesn't match.....

So, IMHO, taking a "disposable shotgun" trumps taking a "showpiece".....

YMMV depending on your ability to replace Dad's favorite shotgun that he left me when he died.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
Brantlyj

Definitely not bringing something I’m not willing to loose.
I have a REM 870 police special I’ve been waiting to send to Vang Comp but I might just add their reliability items and be all in for less than $400. I can do the short barrel after I get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If I were travelling to Alaska again and was considering taking a shotgun (which I have not yet done), I would make sure it's one of my older ones (or I'd buy a cheap, disposable one) for the trip... I would not consider risking one of my Beretta or Benelli guns. While I'm sure there's hundreds of border crossings daily where there is no problem, just my luck that the border agent who filled out my form at the Canadian border transposed 2 numbers in my gun's serial number and when I'm leaving Canada at the Alaskan border, they confiscate my "prized Benelli" because the serial number doesn't match.....

So, IMHO, taking a "disposable shotgun" trumps taking a "showpiece".....

YMMV depending on your ability to replace Dad's favorite shotgun that he left me when he died.......
Old 02-28-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
gearhead

I keep thinking I’ll do Alaska next year, and next year, and.
DONT take this to the bank….shotguns can only be target type or hunting. But it sounds like several here have taken shotguns with no issue. What I would do..buy a WalMart special 870 and a cheap pistol. Sell or give them away before you cross back into Canada on your return. I’ve even looked for gun shops in Browning Montana to leave a Colt Commander “for cleaning” before entering Canada.
Also I wouldn’t believe anything I read on the internet about Guns. Call and talk to someone.
Back to grass mowing…
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:44 AM   #9
notanlines

“ Must be a resident of Alaska. Be eligible to own/possess a handgun under state and federal law. Be a suitable person to be licensed. Pass a handgun training course.Sep 15, 2022”
Shotgun yes, pistol no.
“ Alaska

The most dangerous state in the USA is Alaska, as it has the highest combined violent and property crime rate out of any state.

Out of a population of 736,081, Alaska’s crime rate was 32.14 per 1,000 people in 2022, making it the state with the highest crime rate. Aggravated assault is one of the most common types of crime in Alaska, with 4,222 incidents reported. Sexual assault is a major problem in Alaska, with over 1,132 incidents reported, which is among the highest in the nation.”

Maybe better to take your family to Vermont. And you can carry all kinds of protection.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 02-28-2023, 03:22 PM   #10
Brantlyj

Actually, since I have an Iowa, Arizona and Utah CCW permit I can possess any firearm I want in Alaska. I’ll probably borrow something from my friend while I’m in state.

Anyways, did you have a point to any of this? I’m not sure what your stupid reply has to do with my question on what to pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“ Must be a resident of Alaska. Be eligible to own/possess a handgun under state and federal law. Be a suitable person to be licensed. Pass a handgun training course.Sep 15, 2022”
Shotgun yes, pistol no.
“ Alaska

The most dangerous state in the USA is Alaska, as it has the highest combined violent and property crime rate out of any state.

Out of a population of 736,081, Alaska’s crime rate was 32.14 per 1,000 people in 2022, making it the state with the highest crime rate. Aggravated assault is one of the most common types of crime in Alaska, with 4,222 incidents reported. Sexual assault is a major problem in Alaska, with over 1,132 incidents reported, which is among the highest in the nation.”

Maybe better to take your family to Vermont. And you can carry all kinds of protection.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:04 AM   #11
notanlines

My response was in reference to Brent saying to buy a cheap gun and then give it away. A good idea except you can't legally buy a pistol in Alaska. To keep this from vectoring off into firearms territory any further I will answer the rest of this in a PM to you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 03-03-2023, 06:01 PM   #12
gearhead

The issue is getting into Canada, which you have to do to get to Alaska.
Vermont does seem less complicated.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #13
VaBchMan

Milepost!!!

Purchase a MILEPOST and do not deviate! Best decision my wife & I made traveling to/from AK from the lower 48! Lists all up-to-date "operating" fuel stations and if they take US$, CA$, and/or credit cards for that year published. The MilePost also list historical and interesting facts along the way. Maybe there's an app nowadays.

My pregnant wife and I, while on our trip to AK, decided to take what looked like a more direct route than what the MilePost recommended. Lesson-learned--we never deviated again! The rest of the trip was amazing so take your time and enjoy. 99% of the Canadians were incredibly friendly and kind. Never used our cell phone (check to see if you even have coverage). There was only one city where I slept with my pistol close at hand but that was part of that "deviation" travel day. Otherwise, enjoy the travels!
VaBchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #14
DHred

I'd add a small 12v wiring kit with crimping tool and connectors tape and liquid tape. Also a multimeter if you are able to use one. We went in 2019 and found the roads very good. Took 2 spares for the 5th wheel and never used either. The only problem we had was a magnet wire in one brake came uncliped and rubbed on the drum. Our pickup saw that and disabled the trailer brake. It took a little while to isolate the circuit but was easy to fix. I wouldn't bother with extra springs just make sure springs are good, spring hangers and spring mounts are welded good. We normally carry a shotgun in the lower 48 but took nothing to Alaska except bear spray.
DHred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:45 PM   #15
Cbrez

To answer your basic question, the roads are less than not great. We bent an axle on our 5th wheel and had it replaced on our return from Alaska. When you see a yellow traffic cone on the side of the road, slow down. It marks either a dip or a heave that will rock your world.

Take an extra windshield with you. You are very likely to score an “Alaska windshield” while on your trip. Just kidding about taking one with you, but you may need a new one upon your return. Small price to pay for an awesome trip

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote