Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
MontanaChef

It’s not a crazy idea!

Why haven’t rv manufacturers come up with this brilliant idea that I am working on now (pics to follow). I am in the process of rerouting my furnace outlet to blow it’s released heat under my toy hauler. So when we skirt it stays nice and toasty down there. Anyone else agree? It makes no sense to blow that heat outside your side panel. Am I wrong? Take notice! This makes sense! I understand it’s exhaust but what skirting seals completely.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Any LP exhaust will have dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. You may want to rethink that, I’m betting it would work its way into the living quarters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:51 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaChef View Post
Why haven’t rv manufacturers come up with this brilliant idea that I am working on now (pics to follow). I am in the process of rerouting my furnace outlet to blow it’s released heat under my toy hauler. So when we skirt it stays nice and toasty down there. Anyone else agree? It makes no sense to blow that heat outside your side panel. Am I wrong? Take notice! This makes sense! I understand it’s exhaust but what skirting seals completely.

surely you’re joking
Old 02-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Chuck is right. They call that carbon monoxide poisoning and it's deadly - and it rises - into your living quarters.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:56 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What Chuck said !!!!!

RV furnace exhaust is "unburned combustion products of LP gas. Not only does it contain an "undefined level of carbon Monoxide" but other byproducts that should not be inhaled on a regular basis...

That said, with the "remarkable Polar Package" installed on many Keystone RV's, I'd suspect that there are as many holes and open spaces for CO to migrate from under the RV and into the interior spaces as there are "mouse holes for vermin to get in from the bottom and stay warm in the lower cupboards.....

I'd advise against routing any combustion exhaust under the RV. Think back to the "running car in a closed garage with a hose from the exhaust through the closed window" which was a popular way to commit suicide in years past.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #6
jasin1

besides the dangerous and deadly consequences of doing something like that you will also cause moisture problems under the trailer before it kills you in your sleep.
There is moisture in the exhaust gases …masonry chimneys that aren’t lined for example can deteriorate over time due to the moisture and caustic gases…your underside of the trailer would likely rust when the hot moist exhaust hits the cold steel frame …that’s why the exhaust termination is stainless steel…and if you try and modify the exhaust termination you may create back pressure and cause the furnace to go off on a pressure switch
Old 02-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #7
ChuckS

New ideas always are worth a look see.. However.. this idea is a “Death Trap “ in the making… carbon monoxide is a silent killer.. I would strongly urge you to not proceed with this

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 05:09 PM   #8
RollaMo

Wow, just wow!!

People die from stuff like this every year (Carbon Monoxide poisoning)
There is a reason that furnace is exhausted "outside"!
Old 02-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
New ideas always are worth a look see.. However.. this idea is a “Death Trap “ in the making… carbon monoxide is a silent killer.. I would strongly urge you to not proceed with this
Chuck is right it’s good to think outside the box sometimes but this one my friend isn’t a good idea…i’d go back to the drawing board and find another way…maybe insulate the area under the trailer as opposed to heating it for long stays… some rigid foam insulation attached to the coroplast and boxed off and taped for the winter…nothing too permanent…i don’t know just thinking between that and the skirting you could do worse
Old 02-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #10
MontanaChef

I understand the cm poisoning. Haven’t done anything yet. Just thinking.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
Steve/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuck is right. They call that carbon monoxide poisoning and it's deadly - and it rises - into your living quarters.
Just for clarity Carbon Monoxide is close to the same weight of air. So it may rise or sink.
They have had problem with House boats the exhaust of generator at Lake Powell with the carbon monoxide just sitting on the water and a swimmer would swim in to it and it had displaced all the air and the person would pass out. ( dead calm wind )
Old 02-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #12
Rving life

What

Are you sure you haven't completed the project? Seems to be a little confusion happening.
Rving life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 06:02 PM   #13
MontanaChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rving life View Post
Are you sure you haven't completed the project? Seems to be a little confusion happening.
Just throwing it out there is all. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:09 PM   #14
jasin1

don’t feel bad…every idea can’t be a winner. god knows i’ve had a few bad ideas
Old 02-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #15
MontanaChef

��*♂️ oh well.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
Just for clarity Carbon Monoxide is close to the same weight of air. So it may rise or sink.
They have had problem with House boats the exhaust of generator at Lake Powell with the carbon monoxide just sitting on the water and a swimmer would swim in to it and it had displaced all the air and the person would pass out. ( dead calm wind )

Carbon monoxide "sits" much like H2S, the heat from the exhaust venting directly under the RV makes it rise until it cools. The question with that is when that occurs; before or after you've bit the dust.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:32 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaChef View Post
Sorry! YES it's absolutely a crazy, not to mention deadly, idea! And there's a very good reason why rv manufacturers DO NOT do this!
My wife has one of those brother in laws, you know that one that knows everything about everything, except this one has a PhD so eveyone else is completely stupid. Him & his SIL went deer hunting, slept in his horse trailer covered with a tarp while running a propane heater inside, fortunately the tarp didn't completely seal the trailer, fortunately they did wake up, were sick with horrible headaches, returned home much earlier than planned & were puzzled as to why. So much for years of education making you smarter!!.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:35 AM   #18
bgrhrdt

Thank God you posted this and hopefully avoided doing something like this.

Even though the belly sealing still leaks some, you'd be pressurizing it, forcing the fumes through plumbing holes and electrical runs directly into your trailer.

Just continue to use it as a hand warmer on those cold winter days.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:38 AM   #19
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Him & his SIL went deer hunting, slept in his horse trailer covered with a tarp while running a propane heater inside, fortunately the tarp didn't completely seal the trailer, fortunately they did wake up, were sick with horrible headaches, returned home much earlier than planned & were puzzled as to why. So much for years of education making you smarter!!.
Not to mention the strangeness of him sleeping with his sister-in-law.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:52 AM   #20
gkainz

I wonder if some kind of heat exchanger could be designed to scavenge the heat from the exhaust and route that (clean warm air) under the rig?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote