Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
Vasqsteven

Inverter install on inverter prepped Bullet Crossfire?

I just wanted to run this by some people to make sure I am about to do this correctly. I plan to install a Progressive Dynamics 1000w Pure Sine Wave Inverter w/ Transfer Switch from Etrailer.

If I understand correctly, there is a loop of romex in the storage area that I will cut. Then I need to determine which side of the now cut romex is hot, this will be from the panel. The other side will be to the pre-wired outlets. I will use 3 or 4ft, 2awg battery cables. These will connect to the DC ports on the inverter. Then I will connect the hot side of the Romex to the AC in and the other side to the AC out. Then I will wire a ground from the inverter to the frame of the trailer and plug in and route the remote controller. Is that the correct installation? If I understand correctly, I will not need a transfer switch because this inverter has one built in. Also, is a fuse needed between the battery and inverter/transfer switch?
Vasqsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks like you got it correct. Just make sure all the wiring is the correct gauge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
fjr vfr

I have no experience with this unit, just have a couple points with any inverter. First you should have a fuse or circuit breaker between the inverter and battery. Secondly the battery charger needs to be isolated from the inverter output. You do not want to create a charge loop from the battery charging itself. The battery charger should only be connected to the shore power side of the transfer switch. And it needs to be fused.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Inverter prepped I would imagine has only the inverted outlets on that circuit, hence the loop to cut.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
Vasqsteven

This is how I understand it.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:25 PM   #6
Vasqsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I have no experience with this unit, just have a couple points with any inverter. First you should have a fuse or circuit breaker between the inverter and battery. Secondly the battery charger needs to be isolated from the inverter output. You do not want to create a charge loop from the battery charging itself. The battery charger should only be connected to the shore power side of the transfer switch. And it needs to be fused.

If I understand correctly, the inverter prepped loop that I will be tapping into only has the specific pre-wired outlets on it. I just wasn't sure if there was somebody that had experience with installing inverters on an "inverter prepped" keystone to confirm this. Is there an easy way I can check to make sure that I haven't created a charge loop?
Old 02-19-2023, 05:23 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasqsteven View Post
...I will use 3 or 4ft, 2awg battery cables. ...
I would double check this. I would expect #1 or #1/0 to be required. Also remember if you use dual batteries the jumpers needs to be upgraded to the same between the batteries.

When wiring I would plan on 25%+ increase in cable length fishing them between the battery and inverter location. Use that anticipated length.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasqsteven View Post
If I understand correctly, the inverter prepped loop that I will be tapping into only has the specific pre-wired outlets on it. I just wasn't sure if there was somebody that had experience with installing inverters on an "inverter prepped" keystone to confirm this. Is there an easy way I can check to make sure that I haven't created a charge loop?
Once you have completed the installation:
Easiest way is to turn on the inverter and then check battery voltage at the battery(s) if its over 13VDC and holding then your powering the converter.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #9
Vasqsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I would double check this. I would expect #1 or #1/0 to be required. Also remember if you use dual batteries the jumpers needs to be upgraded to the same between the batteries.

When wiring I would plan on 25%+ increase in cable length fishing them between the battery and inverter location. Use that anticipated length.
I was basing it on the wire size chart in the instructions that come with the inverter. It says 0-5 ft you need 2awg. It's a short run as the batteries are right on the other side of the wall from where the inverter will be installed but I didn't know about needing to upgrade the jumpers. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #10
Vasqsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Once you have completed the installation:
Easiest way is to turn on the inverter and then check battery voltage at the battery(s) if its over 13VDC and holding then your powering the converter.
Thank you.

Tags
bullet, inverter