Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Rving life

Kitchen island counter laminate

2019 LA 325 RL
Is anybody having issues with the kitchen countertop laminate and swelling of the particle board around the sink bowls? What crappie design flaw.
Rving life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:52 AM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rving life View Post
2019 LA 325 RL
Is anybody having issues with the kitchen countertop laminate and swelling of the particle board around the sink bowls? What crappie design flaw.
Drop in or under mounted? Under mount should only be done on solid surface countertop.
Drop in likely poor sealing job.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:15 AM   #3
Rving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Drop in or under mounted? Under mount should only be done on solid surface countertop.
Drop in likely poor sealing job.
Yup, under mount from factory and not solid surface. I'm going to replace with single bowl sink instead of the two bowl. Never found the two bowl practical were one side was smaller than the other. Just have to decide on the countertop material, thinking about butcher block but I'm concerned with weight. I'll be inspecting the construction of the island itself because I make that decision.

Rving life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Ever since Keystone went to "under mount sinks" I've been wondering when the problems were going to start with the laminated " MDF countertops getting wet and swelling....

Surprisingly, you're the first I've heard of with the problem, so apparently Keystone's "sealing process" is much better than I suspected it would be...

Of course, that doesn't help you, but.....

I'd urge an above the counter installation if you're going to stay with laminate countertops on MDF. If you're considering a solid surface, there are some "half thickness" offerings (light weight products) available from various suppliers.

Here is one link to 1/4" thick solid surface tops: https://www.solidsurface.com/product...?thickness=632

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote