Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2023, 11:12 AM   #21
jasin1

not sure if you got the memo but we are all going electric….. gas stoves are on the chopping block…i guess propane stoves and furnaces in rvs will be next lol

i’m sure the grid can handle it0

looks like california is banning the small bottles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200B7D9F-56C0-4D6F-9108-B6AC7AE7889F.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	42930  
Old 02-14-2023, 08:38 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

I was caught a couple years ago using an expired propane tank and just took it to a propane dealer in Bandera and got it recertified for just a few bucks. Lot cheaper than buying new tanks. Not sure why someone would buy new tanks when the old are perfectly fine. If they are somehow bad, OK, buy new.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 11:17 PM   #23
fjr vfr

My tanks have a 2011 build date so this is their last go. This thread prompted me to check with Virginia Oxygen today about recertification. They told me $20 each to recertify my tanks for another 5 years...pretty cheap. They did same if the tanks weren't empty it would be another $10 to $30 depending how full for transferring the gas. I'd have to leave each tank with them for up to a week.
Seems like the way to go.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:43 AM   #24
jxnbbl

We own about 8 20# tanks and one of my "spring tasks" is to check the dates and figure out what to do on the oldest tanks....most of the time we go to an exchange where they allow you to pick your own tank (and pick the newest/best condition).
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:12 PM   #25
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would have taken them to a local propane distributor and had them recertified for another 10 yrs.

Can you return them? 8 months might be the time they sat in a wherehouse waiting for a buyer.
Agreed. Any certified propane dealer will recertify those tanks if there's nothing wrong with them. Just because they're 10 years old doesn't mean anything.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #26
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I thought recertification was only good for 5 years, unless hydro
tested.
They're not Scuba tanks. They're propane tanks. Propane is a completely different thing. Go to your local propane dealer, or get online. It's easily findable, and it has nothing to do with 5 years and scuba tank ratings.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #27
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
"Triviality" Is that what it has come to... if one questions the common sense of getting what you pay for? Where does is end? At what dollar amount is it too much? When do you say "enough?" At what percentage do you draw the line? Are you ok with paying 5.5% extra on all your purchases?
🤣😂🤪😜🤓😏😎🥳
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious. It's really not that big a thing. You could have just taken your tanks to a reputable propane dealer and had them recertified. Sometimes they charge a couple of bucks, sometimes they do it for free. You don't have to throw away your tanks or exchange them. And, there's no need to get upset.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #28
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think it's unrealistic to expect a product to be in your hands promptly after manufacture when they have go through the supply chain then finally end up on the shelf for sale somewhere. After it arrives, depending on the product, it may sit there for months or maybe years. Maybe food cooked to order or bread (maybe) but LP tanks? I don't think anyone would/could justify the doubling (or more) of costs so that the product was rotated out every time it got to be a month old....on LP tanks? Losing 8 mos. means you go back to the LP store and have them recertified (not a lot to it) 8 mos. sooner is all.

Now, I was having a discussion with a person at Simple Tire the other day about the "freshness" of their tires telling him I would want "fresh" tires if I ordered. Their policy? A tire is considered "fresh" if it's within 4 YEARS of the manufacture date on the side....4 YEARS - and they had no idea what kind of dates a person would get. I told him I got rid of them when they reached that old and he told me all their tires were in climate controlled warehouses and would be just like new.....OK. There's a bit of perspective.
I'll beginning to think that a lot of people learned absolutely nothing in the last 3 years about Supply chains, Supply and demand, and all of that.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:51 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I thought recertification was only good for 5 years, unless hydro
tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
They're not Scuba tanks. They're propane tanks. Propane is a completely different thing. Go to your local propane dealer, or get online. It's easily findable, and it has nothing to do with 5 years and scuba tank ratings.
Well not entirely, one of the 12 year recertifications requires Volumetric Expansion test. While not true "Hyrdo Testing" it does involve the displacement of water.

Described as;
The most intensive method of requalification is the Volumetric Expansion test, a pressure test to determine a cylinder’s total and permanent expansion at a given pressure.

The volumetric expansion test is conducted using the water jacket or direct expansion methods:

(1) Water jacket method is a volumetric expansion test to determine a cylinder’s total and permanent expansion by measuring the difference between the volume of water the cylinder externally displaces at test pressure, and the volume of water the cylinder externally displaces at ambient pressure.

(2) Direct expansion method means a volumetric expansion test to calculate a cylinder’s total and permanent expansion by measuring the amount of water forced into a cylinder at test pressure, adjusted for the compressibility of water, as a means of determining the expansion.

Recertification done by Volumetric Expansion is good for 12 years.

https://paracogas.com/blog/propane-c...tion-explained

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:29 PM   #30
DarnDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
When I bought my last set of trailer tires and also truck tires, I asked my tire guy to make sure they had a recent build date. He had no issue complying with my request.
I'll be replacing tires this spring and my local Discount Tire has "7+ in stock" in my size. This makes me wonder how old they are. Before buying I will politely ask what date range and if I'm not happy (or they won't provide dates) I'll take my business elsewhere. I'll stop by when they're not busy and I'm sure they'll honor my request.

Lesson learned... if it's truly a concern, ask before buying.
DarnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:12 AM   #31
Genek

Yeah…but the poster didn’t take into account the $20 worth of gas and time required to get a full term tank!!
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote