Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
larryflew

New to me pet peeves in parks

Many camping years but never encountered these 2 of my pet peeves and same trailer. Next row so same spot as ours but 1 street over. HUGE wind chime and most days are windy. Drives me nuts when we are looking for quiet relaxation on our back deck on their side of course. Same guy, into Harley rides early morning and for some reason thinks it has to sit and idle for half hour to heat up or ? Going on daily for 2 weeks. Only 10 weeks to go in $700 month park we decided to go to in same town we have been coming to since 2011 just because "our" park jumped to $900.

Thanks for allowing the vent. Great travels for all

ARGHHHHHHHHH
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts; I would not tolerate wind chimes all day and night with a thin walled RV. I have them at home but it's a far larger space, can't hear them and more importantly - it's all mine. Most parks have a dedicated "quiet time" from 10pm - 8am or something like that. Maybe you could ask the management to tell the individual to pull them down during those hours. Alternatively you could just go ask them to "make them stop" while expressing your concerns.

Same with the Harley. There is no need to wake people up in the morning because he wants to go for an early "ride" and leave it thumping into your bedroom for a half hour - that is nothing but rude and inconsiderate. Too many think they're at "home" or that they own the property while in fact they are just "renters" in a crowded space where everyone has to consider everyone else. It's getting worse every year.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I would speak to the offending folks and tell them in a polite and friendly manner you don't appreciate the Harley or wind chimes. Most of the time folks take a hint when they feel something they are doing is bothering you. Otherwise, at an expensive park like you are in you can see if park management might intercede.

We have stayed several times over in Hondo at the "Quiet Texas RV Park". That really is the name of the place. It is very clean... the maintenance guy gets out at 8AM and runs a leaf blower (in case anyone is asleep). Manager is a nice guy but insisted they have to keep things clean and I told him we likely wouldn't be visiting again. My wife likes to sleep in.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:10 PM   #4
hlh1

Some people just don't think that anyone exists besides themselves. I have relatives like this that it just doesn't occur them that they're disturbing others. I don't get it. Whey they're told they're like, "oh, sorry, didn't know I was disturbing you" and they'll stop what they're doing. Again, I don't get it.

My biggest gripe is incessantly barking dogs. They're always one or more within earshot that will not stop barking and the owners don't seem to care. I don't have a dog and don't want to hear theirs.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:43 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
Some people just don't think that anyone exists besides themselves. I have relatives like this that it just doesn't occur them that they're disturbing others. I don't get it. Whey they're told they're like, "oh, sorry, didn't know I was disturbing you" and they'll stop what they're doing. Again, I don't get it.

My biggest gripe is incessantly barking dogs. They're always one or more within earshot that will not stop barking and the owners don't seem to care. I don't have a dog and don't want to hear theirs.

I am a dog owner. A dog that I watch over very closely and doesn't bark unless I get her wound up or someone comes up unexpectedly - she barks to warn me. Anymore the number of people in parks that bring dogs, seems like 2-3 is now the norm, seem to be totally oblivious of doggy rules - and don't care (had one behind me last month that had 3 dogs, 2 cats and a big rat). Whether it's leashing, picking up or barking - their thought? Nah, we don't do that. It's infuriating to us since we pick up after our pup and their crap as well. Barking? Had some folks that had 2 dogs - never stopped barking. I approached them about it and told them it needed to stop. "Oh, (big grin) they do it all the time, we don't even hear it"! Well, I don't listen to that kind of "music".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:25 PM   #6
notanlines

Wind chimes should be taboo in any setting, even in your neighborhood! And owners with barking dogs should have wind chimes inserted……sorry, this is a family site.
Bikers AND loud vehicles should be started and then driven immediately. This isn’t 1955, no reason for them to warm up that long.
Quiet time ends at 8:00 and starts at 10:00. People just have to have parameters to work around.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #7
hlh1

I should say that the majority of dogs and owners are fine. It's just a few that ruin it when their owners don't care.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:00 PM   #8
fjr vfr

I had a neighbor in one park would let the dog out in the morning and evening since no one was around and the dog didn't go far. It didn't bother me at all since it was very friendly. But what did both me was it would poop over in our area...so what I did was to scoop it up and leave it in front of her entrance. She soon got the message and after that was very apologetic...problem solved and I liked petting the neighborhood dog.

One other thing used to drive me nuts when we tent camped in the past, how others would pull into a site in the evening and leave their headlights on for the whole time they set up camp. Even though they're setting up in back of the vehicle! It's super annoying sitting by your camp fire with headlights in your face for a half hour to an hour. Especially when they're not using them. It's obvious a large number of people are totally oblivious to anyone but themselves.
Personally when I drive in at night I turn my lights down or off as soon as possible. I hate the thought that I might be ruining someone else's experience.

As far as the Harleys go, as long as they get moving it doesn't bother me for a minute or two. And a note to the UTV and ATV guys with the after market exhaust. They sound like carp! I happen to like the sound of a 5.0 Mustang or small block Chevy or Harley as long as they're not too loud or raced up. But those small engines in the utv's and atv's they sound like sh..t. They're just annoying...period. Keep them stock they actually sound better.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:01 AM   #9
Pull Toy

Don’t get me started about outside speakers and projector lighting. I really didn’t pay $700 a week to live in the glow and noise of your “Look at me” attitude.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:23 AM   #10
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Don’t get me started about outside speakers and projector lighting. I really didn’t pay $700 a week to live in the glow and noise of your “Look at me” attitude.

Good luck,

I hear ya...
Old 01-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #11
locomech

Quote:

Good luck,

I agree with that as well.

When I camp I enjoy the dark night sky. I like to sit by the campfire and watch the stars, but there seems to always be a large street light somewhere in the campground that ruins the effect. I know it most likely has to do with safety or campground liability insurance or something on that order so that's something I have to accept. On the other hand there are those people that have to have their campsite lit up like an air force base in the desert with perimeter lights outlining their site .

I think back on the days when I camped in a tent and it actually felt like camping, but then I'm older now and enjoy the conveniences of full hookups so I guess I have to accept the fact that I'm camping in a parking lot now and have tolerate the likes of others who do not enjoy the night sky.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
vampress_me

Quote:

Good luck,
I totally agree with this! To add on, all the people that in the past few years have decided they need to light up their site with LED lights of all varieties, all night long. When they light up the road through the campground for 100’ on both sides of their site, it’s beyond too much light.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #13
larryflew

Totally agree with lighting and barking problems. We have 2 mini doxies and one is a bark -o-haulic but show her the bark collar and she stops 90% of the time because the other 10% re-trains her on why. Outside speakers on our Alpine where only on one time - by accident and neighbor knocked on door while we where watching Star Wars in our new to us 5th wheel. Speakers in our just received Vengeance are weathered to being shot and not being replaced. Unless you're totally out in the middle of nowhere they are a useless option.

Our neighbor has a brand new Jayco big bucks 5th wheel with blue LED puddle lights on all night. Ours has only 1 small window on that side so we don't care. Nice guy and would talk to him if he was on the other side. It's a 2 month rental for him on the trailer itself so not going to make him feel bad.

Someone else must have complained as wind chimes are no more.

Like seeing other peeves, thanks
Old 01-22-2023, 03:46 AM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

Kids sitting around the campfire chatting till the wee hours of the morning, especially in parks with closely packed sites.
And endlessly barking dogs. And a LOT of people say “My dog doesn't bark hardly at all.” But it does when they leave it home alone all day. They just aren't there to hear it. And while I'm venting about dogs, I can't imagine why anyone needs 3 dogs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:51 AM   #15
dutchmensport

larryflew, If the motorcycle and the wind chimes bother you, then go to the campground management, in private, and share your concerns with them and do not confront the other camper personally. If the campground management really cares about their reputation, then they will address the issue with the other campers. If they do not, then you've lost the battle anyway. Confronting face-to-face these days is just not a good thing to do. Let the campground management handle it. If they don't, then you just have to live with it.... or move to a different location.

I think, at times, every one of us gets annoyed at other campers and the antics they do. But just remember, regardless of how careful you may be, there could be someone equally as annoyed at something YOU are doing, that you are not aware of either. So before getting too upset, it takes only one small thing for someone to get completely upset with YOU too and you may not even be aware of it.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
larryflew, If the motorcycle and the wind chimes bother you, then go to the campground management, in private, and share your concerns with them and do not confront the other camper personally. If the campground management really cares about their reputation, then they will address the issue with the other campers. If they do not, then you've lost the battle anyway. Confronting face-to-face these days is just not a good thing to do. Let the campground management handle it. If they don't, then you just have to live with it.... or move to a different location.

I think, at times, every one of us gets annoyed at other campers and the antics they do. But just remember, regardless of how careful you may be, there could be someone equally as annoyed at something YOU are doing, that you are not aware of either. So before getting too upset, it takes only one small thing for someone to get completely upset with YOU too and you may not even be aware of it.

that’s the way it should work lol but i ask nicely but firmly now first because i was burned by going to mgmt a long time ago.

back in the 90s we were in the keys with my young kids, and a festive lively bunch of adults were in a tent next to us.(even though it was a rv park…)

we were new to camping and finally figured out they were parking on our site..

we had a popup and they partied all night and kept hitting their car key fob every 20 minutes or so it seemed ..the beeps were waking us up

there was a language barrier so i went to mgmt the next day and asked if they could discreetly say something.

Mgmt pulled up in a golf cart a little while later and pointed at the group of people and asked me in front of them “are they the problem?” or something like that and did it in the most embarrassing way possible for everyone.

bunch of angry looks from them on…wasn’t a good way to handle it.

oh and the family across from us brought all their family…all the festive music playing all day …all their pets including a giant squawking bird in a cage outside…peaceful times lol

that was fiesta key koa
Old 01-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #17
larryflew

In this case I already know mgt. would not care. This park caters to park model owners (Harley guy) not 3 month 5th wheel renters. I think they only rent until someone buys a park model for that site.

Heard through the local knows everything gal (every park seems to have one or more) that his park model neighbor supposedly got him to remove the wind chimes.

Beautiful park but won't be back next year. Maybe find another or pay the piper to go back to our previous park. Good thing to come out of this - DW of 53 years was talking about doing the park model thing as she hates the 5th wheel haul from MN to AZ while I like taking our time and seeing old friends and relatives on the way. Was afraid I might have to go with the happy wife = happy life saying but wind chime guy as changed her mind for now.

May all your pet peeves be eliminated!!!
Old 01-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #18
dutchmensport

Ah.... that's actually an interesting strategy. Talk to your neighbors, find out if someone else in the campground has more 'clout' or influence and can put some muscle on the one camper that is causing the irritation. Then have THEM be Mr. Nasty and confront them.

I suppose one has to be diplomatic. You: Hi neighbor, we're enjoying the campground. Mr. Muscle: Hi, glad you are enjoying your stay here. You: Have you noticed the other neighbor with the wind chimes? Mr. Muscle: Yes, why do you ask. You: I'm just wondering what you think of the wind chimes. Do they ever bother anyone in the park? Just wondering? Mr. Muscle: One of two reactions: 1) No they don't bother anyone. Everyone kind of likes them. or 2) Oh man! Everyone hates them, especially me!

You: Have you ever considered saying something to them?......

or, in response to #1) You: Maybe I'll put up a set of wind chimes too! Watch the reaction!

Fabulous strategy!
Old 01-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #19
notanlines

Larry, “ DW of 53 years was talking about doing the park model thing as she hates the 5th wheel haul from MN to AZ while I like taking our time and seeing old friends and relatives on the way. “
How is this going to change things? She doesn’t like the three days (maybe four) towing and seeing your friends, but you buy a place, still three days driving and you don’t get to see your friends still.. I’d keep in mind that marriage is a two way street. You seem to be going one way….
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #20
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Larry, “ DW of 53 years was talking about doing the park model thing as she hates the 5th wheel haul from MN to AZ while I like taking our time and seeing old friends and relatives on the way. “
How is this going to change things? She doesn’t like the three days (maybe four) towing and seeing your friends, but you buy a place, still three days driving and you don’t get to see your friends still.. I’d keep in mind that marriage is a two way street. You seem to be going one way….
Retired airlines so would be flying which is a PITA especially with 2 dogs that have never flown but love to ride.

What "street" do you live on ;-)
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote