Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
Joe1969

Mt. Rushmore Campgrounds Suggestions?

For the final week of June and through the summer, National Park Campgrounds availability opens Dec. 29. We’ve never been but are planning a trip for this summer. The campground at Sheridan Lake looks nice and can accommodate our trailer. Has anyone on this forum stayed at any of the campgrounds in this area and is so any recommendations? We have a 29’ trailer.
Joe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
Canonman

We stayed near there with our Cougar. The campground we used was in Custer State Park and was called Stockade Lake North. Beautiful spot with lots of wildlife (deer, antelope,turkeys,etc) right in the campground. Excellent base camp for exploring Rushmore and the State Park plus the areas around Rushmore. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8887.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	42547   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8693.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	42548   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8902.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	42549   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8991.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	42550  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We stayed near there with our Cougar. The campground we used was in Custer State Park and was called Stockade Lake North. Beautiful spot with lots of wildlife (deer, antelope,turkeys,etc) right in the campground. Excellent base camp for exploring Rushmore and the State Park plus the areas around Rushmore. Here are some photos.
This might be a dumb question, but is that park also the site of the Battle of Little Bighorn Monument?
Old 12-28-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

In 2009 we stayed at the KOA in Spear Fish. Short drive to Deadwood and Rushmore. I highly recommend going to Crazy Horse, and eat the Buffalo stew with Indian fry bread.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #5
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1969 View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is that park also the site of the Battle of Little Bighorn Monument?
Custer State Park is in (near) Custer, SD. Little Bighorn Monument is in (near) Crow Agency, MT. They are about 300 miles apart.

We stayed for a week at Buffalo Ridge Camp Resort just south of Custer last May. Nice campground with full service sites and nice bathrooms and showers, swimming pool, etc., but just a bit cramped. My nephew stayed at Custer's Gulch RV Park on the east side of Custer. Not as nice IMO but it has big rig sites (which he needed for his 42 footer). But he did say there was a lot of wildlife in and around the park. (We saw nothing but dogs at our campground.) His is much closer to Custer State Park. Both parks are about 20 miles or so to Mt Rushmore.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
UKLimey

We stayed at Rafter J Bar. Outstanding campground. We'd go back!
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

We stayed at Custer SP in the Game Lodge campground this year. It is close to the things we wanted to see and do, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, The Mammoth site, Needles Highway etc. Also, don't miss the wildlife loop, especially the road that leads down to Hot Springs. We saw way more wildlife on the road to Hot Springs than in the actual Wildlife loop.
It's not near the Little Bighorn Battlefield. (Custer's last stand)
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:08 AM   #8
Max23

Used to live up there. Wish we never moved. Beautiful area. Campgrounds with full hookups a re a bit harder to come by but there are some. Although water and dumps on site for the majority. Most all are very nice, I would suggest a Google maps satellite view of any your interested in as surprising as it is, many are not in the trees. Wide open sun. Odd for the area I know. Depends on what your after. To me, having some trees is more important than full hookup. Just me. Have fun, we're going this yr to. Gonna stay just outside of Custer.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
locomech

In 2015 we stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch. It's near Hill City which is close to all the major attractions in the area. Since it's a KOA resort there are plenty of activities for all. They can accommodate large RV's and have full hookups. The campground is large and was quite full when we stayed there. Lots of kids so you have to be on constant alert with them scooting all around on these three wheeled trikes. We were camping with family, and had three trailers in our group and all together.

The battle of Little Bighorn battlefield is in the state of Montana. It's several hundred miles away. A place to consider is Devil's Tower in Wyoming. It's about hundred miles away, and is a very interesting place to spend the day.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Another vote for Buffalo Ridge at Custer, SD. We stayed there for 2 weeks. There was so much to see and do in the area, all we really got accomplished at the campsite was to sleep and then we were gone again.

If you are wanting to really tour the area, see the attractions, and do lots of things, then all you need is somewhere to park the camper. You will not be spending much time there anyway.
Old 01-01-2023, 03:39 AM   #11
RickV

We have stayed two times one time a month and the next time 1.5 months at Lazy JD RV Park. It is a little north of Rapid City toward Sturgis. We liked it because it is kinda between Deadwood and the Mount Rushmore areas. it is out in the country and is surrounded by Ranches.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
wegone

I too would like to get some suggestions as its on our 2024 list.
We would be meeting our kids who will be pulling up from SoCal.
They have two boys under 10, so we need a pool, etc.
We usually do KOA's, but anything with a pool and rec will work.
I think Mount Rushmore is the main attraction, but day trip stuff works too, as long as they get back in time to swim in the pool
We like the "tree" settings best.
What is the best time of the year to visit as well?

Thanks
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #13
curtiscapk

This place was great 20 years ago when we tent camped and cabined.

https://www.spokanecreek.com/
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
vampress_me

One other campground on the northern end of the Black Hills, is the Elkhorn Ridge RV park. They have a nice pool for kids and a good patio area to gather at, beyond what’s at every site. I like to stay here when we go through, partially because we are usually meeting family from Gillette, WY and it’s not far off the interstate but is easy for larger campers to get into. I always feel spoiled when we stay here because the sites have concrete pads. Our seasonal site and a majority of other campgrounds we stay at have gravel pads, so concrete is a cool novelty to me (what can I say, I’m just a little strange LOL). I also like to take a walk-about each night at whatever campground we are at, and people there are very friendly when we are out walking.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #15
Joe1969

Thanks everyone who pitched in here early on. We have decided to spend the day in Deadwood as recommended. Question though, has anyone stayed at any of the sites listed on the Deadwood.com page, all local. any recommendations great. Dry or full hooks work. 27 foot, no slide. Thanks in advance! https://www.deadwood.com/businesses/campgrounds/

Joe Franscella
Springdale by Keystone, Model 220BHWE
Toyota Tundra 4X V8 5.7 CrewCab, 2012
Old 07-24-2023, 07:48 AM   #16
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
One other campground on the northern end of the Black Hills, is the Elkhorn Ridge RV park. They have a nice pool for kids and a good patio area to gather at, beyond what’s at every site. I like to stay here when we go through, partially because we are usually meeting family from Gillette, WY and it’s not far off the interstate but is easy for larger campers to get into. I always feel spoiled when we stay here because the sites have concrete pads. Our seasonal site and a majority of other campgrounds we stay at have gravel pads, so concrete is a cool novelty to me (what can I say, I’m just a little strange LOL). I also like to take a walk-about each night at whatever campground we are at, and people there are very friendly when we are out walking.
We would second Elkhorn resort. Recently spent a week there and it's very comfortable. It would easily accommodate a gathering whether you had a trailer or not.

Lots of 4x4 / razor trails with razor rental available in Stugis.

Spearfish I found family Vet, oil change for diesel and car wash handy and done in less than 3 hrs.

20189 US-85, Spearfish, SD 57783
Raptor 429 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground