Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
mcomeaux

Kitchen Slide Damage Warranty??

I currently own a 2019 Keystone Alpine 3800FK
Last winter we experienced some rain in Arizona and appears moisture wept down the side and entered along side the ScwinnTek mount on slide. It damaged the floor area enough to the point the slide struggled to get retracted fully. Took it in for repair and the entire slide required removal for repair. During repair process we found poor workmanship in assembly. They stapled what appeared to be scrap 2x2 together and mounted inside the slide for the apparatus to attach to from outside. Found a few more interesting issues the tech brought up to acceptable standards. At the end we paid out $4900.00 for repairs. Is there a path to Keystone to possibly get this covered under some kind of Mfg warranty? Required replacing the floor....
Any suggestions???
Old 06-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
mcomeaux

What did I do to my trailer you ask??

I recently had my kitchen slide repaired due to water/rain damage due to lack of quality assembly from factory. Rain water found a path past the Schwintek bracket from lack of silicone. We really enjoy the floorplan it boils down to QC just up the game 10% would make a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001 (1).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	44276   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	44277  
Old 06-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I combined both your posts about your slide repair into the same thread. Since the "most important part" (IMO) is how to deal with Keystone on the matter, I move the photos to your post in the Service and Warranty Issues part of the forum.

Good luck getting ideas on how to best approach the subject with Keystone... It's very likely to be an uphill battle... Maybe even more like climbing a cliff rather than hiking up a slope....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:49 AM   #4
ChuckS

When it comes down to water damage and that Schwintek slide on your Alpine I wish you all the luck trying to get any reimbursement on a 2019...

You may get lucky and get some "Good Will" results provided you can get in touch with the right person...

The water intrusion issues continue with even the newest Alpines and the Schwintek slide system..

If the Schwintek slides are not properly operated they become out of sync.. Then damage starts to occur on the upper and lower guide block assemblies, broken shoes, broken rivets, etc.

The entire assy will also become "out of time" which is a different issue then "out of sync"...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:02 AM   #5
dutchmensport

You are fighting a loosing battle and you will also loose the war. It's a 2019 model, it's out of warranty. That's pretty much all there is to it. Even if you would have found the problem within the first year of ownership, you would have had a horrible battle with Keystone for warranty.

Insurance won't cover either. They'll say it's normal wear and tear. It wasn't caused by an accident.

Considering you've already forked out for the bill, move on and go camping.

But, sending them an appeal won't hurt anything. Who knows, Keystone may surprise us all. It doesn't hurt to ask, but just expect a rejection and don't be heart broken over it. Just remember this moment when it comes time to purchase you NEXT camper and let Keystone know why you choose a different manufacturer.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
ChuckS

You will also want to read this and stay up on your Schwintek slides for water intrusion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert Schwintek water intrusion items .pdf (1.09 MB, 131 views)

Old 06-18-2023, 07:36 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have high hopes of a warranty approval. Keystone has always done a good job of warranting things for us that fit within the warranty period and one time outside it - but not 3 years past. They've gone above and beyond once but that was due to some additional pressures we brought to bear.

I would suggest doing some research and find out who the Keystone manager is for the Alpine line is. Contact them, relay your situation and see if they are sympathetic to your problem and willing to help. Member ChuckS has lots of experience with Alpines and may be able to share info either on or off the forum. IMO after 4 years the probability of warranty approval is literally zero. Lots and lots of things an owner does in that amount of time can cause all kinds of problems in an RV if left unattended...one would have to prove that was never the case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #8
mcomeaux

No Chance

In response to earlier posts regarding I know I have no chance what so ever, I just wanted to vent my fustrations this is not by far the only miss deed I have found in this coach and I understand going forward. I do like the coach and will continue pulling it down the road and repairing it as others do...
Old 06-18-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
In response to earlier posts regarding I know I have no chance what so ever, I just wanted to vent my fustrations this is not by far the only miss deed I have found in this coach and I understand going forward. I do like the coach and will continue pulling it down the road and repairing it as others do...
The 2019 is a "Good Year" for Alpines.. the newer units 2020-2023 are less than stellar.

My Alpine is ten years old now and would have no other.. All factory appliances work great..

I do have all hydraulic slides which was my "main item" when purchasing.. I do not like the Schwintek slide system .. especially the inverted rack..

Pay attention to the PDF I attached and it will help you prevent future water intrusion on those slides.

Also - if you have not replaced the main hydraulic slide wiper seals ( both sides and top ) you are most likely overdue..

It is an easy job with the hydraulic wiper seals since they are clip on style.. You can replace all 3 wipers on one large hyd slide in less than an hour yourself.. Don't take to RV service place for those

Tags
damage, slide, warranty