Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
Lemdog

Change inverter outlet

Hi, new to Cougar and solar power. Wondering if changing the outlets wired to the inverter is a fairly straightforward task. We recently purchased a 2022 Cougar 290RLS , with the Solar Flex 400 package and lithium batteries. Don't need the inverter powered outlets in the bedroom, would much prefer more in the kitchen area.

Thanks for any advice.
Lemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It is probably more difficult to rewire the bedroom outlets to disconnect them from the inverter than it would be to just add more outlets in the kitchen and "daisy chain" power from the existing inverter powered outlets there.....

Trying to rewire the bedroom outlets would require running new ROMEX from the circuit breaker panel to the bedroom. That would require fishing the ROMEX through the belly and up to the outlets. Simply put, if you don't plug anything into those outlets when on inverter power, it won't matter that they have "available power that's not used"....

In the galley, just locate the last "inverter powered outlet" and add ROMEX to the outlets you want to include on the inverter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

What are you looking to power off the inverter in the kitchen? What size inverter is powering the bedroom?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

An outlet is an outlet generally speaking. How they are wired would make them work off the inverter or not...that would be a lot more than just changing out an outlet as has been mentioned.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
Lemdog

Thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if leaving the bedroom outlets connected would "overload" the inverter
Old 09-05-2022, 08:15 AM   #6
Lemdog

Sorry, didn't word my question correctly. I realize that I would have to rewire the outlet, not change the outlet. Thanks for your reply
Old 09-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
Lemdog

It is the inverter that comes with the SolarFlex 400 package, a "2000-watt inverter w/ built-in transfer switch (up to 7 inverted outlets), second inverted loop for A/C"

I would using the outlet for crockpot, coffemaker, etc. I don't plan on installing a bedroom TV, so it seems inverted outlets in the kitchen would be more useful. The refrigerator is 12V, so there isn't an inverter wired outlet for it.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

You will only overload the system if you actually plug something in and use it. Educate yourself on the wattage/amp draw of appliances. The kitchen is the potential home of many high amp appliances.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You will only overload the system if you actually plug something in and use it. Educate yourself on the wattage/amp draw of appliances. The kitchen is the potential home of many high amp appliances.
Woody's advice is your best option!
The toaster alone may have 1500 watts so it's either make toast or coffee, not both at the same time. Or make both on the stove top using LP like in the past when "camping".
It sounds as though you want to "rough it in the boonies" but have all the luxury of the rv. Not sure that's all possible with a couple batteries & 2000 watt inverter.
Add a big enough generator & then you can run whatever you'd like.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
It is the inverter that comes with the SolarFlex 400 package, a "2000-watt inverter w/ built-in transfer switch (up to 7 inverted outlets), second inverted loop for A/C"

I would using the outlet for crockpot, coffemaker, etc. I don't plan on installing a bedroom TV, so it seems inverted outlets in the kitchen would be more useful. The refrigerator is 12V, so there isn't an inverter wired outlet for it.
That's 1/2 of the equation. The battery capacity is "the rest of the story". Crackpots are typically slow cookers that use heat often for hours to cook. Let's say that crackpot uses 200 watts. That's 200 watts/ hrs. That will require more than a marine rv starting deep cycle battery and someway to recharge the discharge the battery will endure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Lemdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Woody's advice is your best option!
The toaster alone may have 1500 watts so it's either make toast or coffee, not both at the same time. Or make both on the stove top using LP like in the past when "camping".
It sounds as though you want to "rough it in the boonies" but have all the luxury of the rv. Not sure that's all possible with a couple batteries & 2000 watt inverter.
Add a big enough generator & then you can run whatever you'd like.
Not the "boonies " tailgating at football games. Would like to minimize generator use out of respect for neighbors.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
Not the "boonies " tailgating at football games. Would like to minimize generator use out of respect for neighbors.
Some of the newer inverter generators are extremely quiet. Now the less expensive open frame construction types would be a no go near anybody for about 2 blocks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #13
Essvar

I achieved what you are asking, but not by removing the bedroom outlets from the inverter but by tapping into the one inverted outlet in the kitchen. In order to get all of the remaining outlets inverted I removed the GFCI circuit from the main bus and tied it directly to the hot inverted outlet in the kitchen.

As others have noted, you must be very aware of what you are trying to run off the inverter. Things like coffee pots and other high surge load appliances will not make your inverter or batteries happy.

Enjoy
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #14
Kzneft

You can do what i do and it works fantastic. I just have an outlet from my inverter. Then I have a 30' HD extension cord I plug into it, then an adapter that I plug into my normal 30 or 50 amp socket that is on every RV. Of course I can't power my AC, but if you are trying to run things off grid then this is an easy way to do it, rather then running lots of different wires. I can run everything off my inverter just like I was plugged into shore power, minus the AC.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Just don't power the converter.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #16
bcbaric

Can someone answer the original posters question? How difficult is it modify an outlet to run off the inverter.

I have the 400i package too, 2000W inverter and none of my main living space outlets are wired to the inverter.

I would would just like to add one or two in the living space to be on the inverter. Fine with adding all of them and using as appropriate.
bcbaric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter