Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Javi

Anyone else thinking 17.5

About going to 17.5" tires and wheels.
Sure seems to be a lot more choices than the 16" group.

Got me thinking 🤔
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I know Alpine uses them. I ran into them out on the road back in 2015 and his set up was really nice. He just mentioned it the other day on another thread that reminded me about it. I’m very happy with the Hartland tires I’m using so I’m sticking with the 16” for now, but I did have to jump up a little in size to a 285 instead of a 280.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I know Alpine uses them. I ran into them out on the road back in 2015 and his set up was really nice. He just mentioned it the other day on another thread that reminded me about it. I’m very happy with the Hartland tires I’m using so I’m sticking with the 16” for now, but I did have to jump up a little in size to a 285 instead of a 280.
When we bought this trailer, I said it was/is the last one and I'm going to upgrade it to MY standards before I give it all up and lay down.

The OEM tires are suspect at best, although in the two years and 10K miles I've never had a problem; I do know that isn't "IF" but "WHEN".

Tires are the last thing on the list and I'm struggling with the decision, which is very unlike me. I know that the 16" "G" rated tires are more than sufficient for the application; on the other hand, the choices are severely limited, and I've started chafing under the constraints.

So, I started looking for a solution and rummaging around in my past career paths I thought of the 17.5" lowboy tires I had purchased by the trailer load twenty-five years ago. And away my mind went.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
When we bought this trailer, I said it was/is the last one and I'm going to upgrade it to MY standards before I give it all up and lay down.

The OEM tires are suspect at best, although in the two years and 10K miles I've never had a problem; I do know that isn't "IF" but "WHEN".

Tires are the last thing on the list and I'm struggling with the decision, which is very unlike me. I know that the 16" "G" rated tires are more than sufficient for the application; on the other hand, the choices are severely limited, and I've started chafing under the constraints.

So, I started looking for a solution and rummaging around in my past career paths I thought of the 17.5" lowboy tires I had purchased by the trailer load twenty-five years ago. And away my mind went.
Not much different than all of the additional thought I put into the new tires for mine with Hartland offering two options with one rated for 4080 lbs and the other for 4410. Both are more than enough tire, been running the 4080 version for 7 years (my bad for losing track of time) without a problem. Did get a flat on the last trip, but tire held together and no damage. It was a no brainer what I was going to replace them with……until I saw the “other” option. Then I started thinking. That thinking stuff can get you into trouble.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
travelin texans

At the time I had PTB do the disc brakes I was needing the GY 614s G rated 16" replaced due to age & miles. At that time PTB was selling wheels/tires also, not sure if they still do, with a special on 4 - 17.5" wheels with Sailun 17.5" H rated tires mounted delivered to me that they put on after the brake install, so I went that route as it was cheaper than the price of 3 of the GY replacements & piece of that tire issues were a thing of the past.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
At the time I had PTB do the disc brakes I was needing the GY 614s G rated 16" replaced due to age & miles. At that time PTB was selling wheels/tires also, not sure if they still do, with a special on 4 - 17.5" wheels with Sailun 17.5" H rated tires mounted delivered to me that they put on after the brake install, so I went that route as it was cheaper than the price of 3 of the GY replacements & piece of that tire issues were a thing of the past.
Thanks, I saw that they sold tires and wheels, but they really need a good web guy because there is noy much information on the site.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #7
ChuckS

Quote:
All Alpines come OEM Stock with 16 inch wheels and in 2015 they upgraded the tire size form E rated ti G rated Provideers.. they then switched over to Oracle Hispec tires in 2020 or 2021.. still 16 inch wheels with a crap tire

If someone had 17.5 on an Alpine then it was a custom order or upgrade not offered by Keystone

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
ChuckS

Also if were going to upgrade form 16 inch wheels to 17.5 wheels and tires I would have to spend the bucks and upgrade the axle and suspension as well

I see no benefit from a 14 ply G rated tire currently on most RVs with a 7K axle setup and 3500 lb springs over a 17.5 wheel and tire without upgrading the rest of the suspension system

But.. everyone has their personal choice and likes

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also if were going to upgrade form 16 inch wheels to 17.5 wheels and tires I would have to spend the bucks and upgrade the axle and suspension as well

I see no benefit from a 14 ply G rated tire currently on most RVs with a 7K axle setup and 3500 lb springs over a 17.5 wheel and tire without upgrading the rest of the suspension system

But.. everyone has their personal choice and likes
Thanks, but I already have upgraded the necessary components when I did the disc brakes last year... And the extra 800 lbs. of load capacity isn't really driving my choice. But the option of multiple choices and availability of commercial trailer tires far beyond the miserably anemic list of 16" tires in load ranges of 4000 plus pounds.

Not to mention the history of ST tires versus commercial tires.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks, but I already have upgraded the necessary components when I did the disc brakes last year... And the extra 800 lbs. of load capacity isn't really driving my choice. But the option of multiple choices and availability of commercial trailer tires far beyond the miserably anemic list of 16" tires in load ranges of 4000 plus pounds.

Not to mention the history of ST tires versus commercial tires.
You do know, you don't gain any load capacity above GVWR because of stronger axles? The certified GAWRs on the vehicle certification label remain the same. All you do is add load capacity reserves.

In reality, you lowered your cargo capacity with the difference in weight between the new and old axles and their components.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You do know, you don't gain any load capacity above GVWR because of stronger axles? The certified GAWRs on the vehicle certification label remain the same. All you do is add load capacity reserves.

In reality, you lowered your cargo capacity with the difference in weight between the new and old axles and their components.
Understood, and accepted as minimal overall impact either way as my intent isn't and never was to increase carrying capacity as this 35' trailer left the factory with over 3000 pounds of payload.

I'm just tired of being forced to choose between marginally serviceable "G" rated tires and playing Russian roulette with 3 rounds in the cylinder.

Got any insight into commercial trailer tire construction over ST recreational tire construction.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
All Alpines come OEM Stock with 16 inch wheels and in 2015 they upgraded the tire size form E rated ti G rated Provideers.. they then switched over to Oracle Hispec tires in 2020 or 2021.. still 16 inch wheels with a crap tire

If someone had 17.5 on an Alpine then it was a custom order or upgrade not offered by Keystone
Forum username Alpine. Guess I should have been more specific. Guess it was clear as mud, but I thought when I mentioned running into him on the road back in 2015 and his setup, would speak for itself. I know what Alpines have, I own a 2013 and sold them from 2017-2021
Old 08-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Forum username Alpine. Guess I should have been more specific. Guess it was clear as mud, but I thought when I mentioned running into him on the road back in 2015 and his setup, would speak for itself. I know what Alpines have, I own a 2013 and sold them from 2017-2021
I knew who you were talking about...😉
Old 08-20-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Nowhere in the DOT tire regulations or tire industry standards is there any mention of brand names.

OEM tires with 17 – 18 percent of load capacity reserves are more than adequate.

RV cargo capacity is, and always has been a consumer’s responsibility.

Without a vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation to use “plus sized” tires, the consumer must accept full safety responsibility for the plus sized tires.

Should a consumer take it upon themselves to use plus sized tires, they should seek out installers with the knowledge to do it properly.

Be careful with tire selections for 17.5” low platform trailer tires. Many of them are euro metric in design and have a speed letter “J” (62 MPH). Their ability to carry their maximum load molded into the tire sidewall ends at 62 MPH and will degrade rapidly as the speed increases above/beyond 62 MPH.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Nowhere in the DOT tire regulations or tire industry standards is there any mention of brand names.

OEM tires with 17 – 18 percent of load capacity reserves are more than adequate.

RV cargo capacity is, and always has been a consumer’s responsibility.

Without a vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation to use “plus sized” tires, the consumer must accept full safety responsibility for the plus sized tires.

Should a consumer take it upon themselves to use plus sized tires, they should seek out installers with the knowledge to do it properly.

Be careful with tire selections for 17.5” low platform trailer tires. Many of them are euro metric in design and have a speed letter “J” (62 MPH). Their ability to carry their maximum load molded into the tire sidewall ends at 62 MPH and will degrade rapidly as the speed increases above/beyond 62 MPH.
The tire I'm leaning towards is an "L" and rated as a free rolling tire.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #16
gearhead

Only issue I have with my 17.5 tires is the weight. That cheap under frame sliding spare carrier just won’t handle it. If I had a receiver on the rear of the 5th I would go for a receiver mount spare carrier. Grunting the spare on and off that carrier would be an issue though. I’m storing the spare in the bay at this time.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:45 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Only issue I have with my 17.5 tires is the weight. That cheap under frame sliding spare carrier just won’t handle it. If I had a receiver on the rear of the 5th I would go for a receiver mount spare carrier. Grunting the spare on and off that carrier would be an issue though. I’m storing the spare in the bay at this time.
What tires and wheels are you using.?

The set up that I'm looking at would be Wheel 33 lbs. and Tire 61 pounds

That's 215/75R17.5 4805 LR @ 125 PSI
Old 08-21-2022, 07:50 AM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
What tires and wheels are you using.?

The set up that I'm looking at would be Wheel 33 lbs. and Tire 61 pounds

That's 215/75R17.5 4805 LR @ 125 PSI
Same size tire, Hercules brand. I assume same weight. Same specs.
My wheels are alloy except the spare. It’s solid steel. I’ve rolled it over the bathroom scale and it was +100# IIRC. It’s heavy.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #19
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Same size tire, Hercules brand. I assume same weight. Same specs.
My wheels are alloy except the spare. It’s solid steel. I’ve rolled it over the bathroom scale and it was +100# IIRC. It’s heavy.
That's what I found on the OEM steel spare setup I have now. So far, no problem with the cable spare carrier on the trailer carrying it. And the new setup is a few pounds lighted with the aluminum wheel.

How are the Hercules tires holding up, we used some of them on our lowboy trailers, but mainly the GY.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:47 AM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
That's what I found on the OEM steel spare setup I have now. So far, no problem with the cable spare carrier on the trailer carrying it. And the new setup is a few pounds lighted with the aluminum wheel.

How are the Hercules tires holding up, we used some of them on our lowboy trailers, but mainly the GY.
I need to get the crank up carrier. The price is just painful.
I like the Hercules tires. They have made at least 2 trips to Richmond Virginia and 2 trips to Knoxville Iowa. No visible wear. I’m careful to keep them aired up and keep covers on them while stored.
They may be my next tires for my truck.
It helps that a dealer is right here in town within rock throwing distance.
Edit add: We finally got some rain. North Texas, Oklahoma, and some of Kansas looked scorched last week. 18 wheelers hauling hay north on I-45 between Houston and Dallas.