Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
ukedude

Buying advice - comparing same model year - Alpine

Looking to buy an Alpine 3720MD. This model is new to 2022. Found one at a dealer that is 10K less than comparable others. I understand there is a lot of factors in price variability but trying to assess what, if any, of it could be due to differences in the build. The less expensive one has a manufacturer date of 10/21 while a more expensive one was manufactured on 2/22. Both have all of the standard options so shouldn't be different. Found some minor things in that the 10/21 didn't have all of the night/day shades that it should have (would get the dealer to remedy that). The 10/21 one, though, is 200 lbs lighter than the 2/22 one. Not a lot of difference on a 14k lb trailer but wondering what might be "missing". Also one is on east coast the and other west. I know that might also impact. Should I be concerned or just save the money and leave it as a mystery?
ukedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukedude View Post
Looking to buy an Alpine 3720MD. This model is new to 2022. Found one at a dealer that is 10K less than comparable others. I understand there is a lot of factors in price variability but trying to assess what, if any, of it could be due to differences in the build. The less expensive one has a manufacturer date of 10/21 while a more expensive one was manufactured on 2/22. Both have all of the standard options so shouldn't be different. Found some minor things in that the 10/21 didn't have all of the night/day shades that it should have (would get the dealer to remedy that). The 10/21 one, though, is 200 lbs lighter than the 2/22 one. Not a lot of difference on a 14k lb trailer but wondering what might be "missing". Also one is on east coast the and other west. I know that might also impact. Should I be concerned or just save the money and leave it as a mystery?
Sounds like both units were found online in different locations? If this is the case my concern would be which is closer for the warranty work I'm sure you'll have?
Rvs are not like vehicles! The selling dealer is the only dealer that's obligated to do the warranty work on that unit, other dealers are not & can chose not to do so. If the non selling dealer does chose to do your work you should expect yours will always fall to the bottom of the list after those they've sold are done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
ukedude

Thanks. Good point. Actually buying near where the RV will be located for most of the warranty period. That's different from my full time residence. Was looking at both locations and noted the difference.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
Camp CA

Quote:
...........Also one is on east coast the and other west. I know that might also impact. Should I be concerned or just save the money and leave it as a mystery?
I also like the idea of saving money but you might consider the transportion cost to ship the trailer or pick it up to your location AND where you would obtain warranty service, in the event of a warranty issue. Also obtain the BUILD SHEET from the manufacturer's customer service department with the VIN for each to compare the differences. Usually, some features are added and others deleted from year to year on each model.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Both trailers will be the same model year with those build dates. Alpine doesn’t have much as far as options go, they’re pretty well equipped with everything being standard. There are a couple options that could account for weight/ price difference though. Gen prep, solar, 3rd AC. I’d contact each dealer and ask for the build sheet to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone begins the model year on a specific date, as an example, September 20. 2021. That's a Monday, so on that day, the stickers on the side of the trailer and the VIN will be changed to reflect "2022 model year"... There will be a surplus of 2021 components left over. Many of those components will be installed in the 2022 model trailers until the components are all used. So, the first few months of the "new model year" may very well be built with 2021 equipment, colors, furniture, wallboard, appliances and even features (where those features are enhanced by the older components)....

In other words, a 2022 Alpine with a build date of 10/21 may very well have "old style furniture, last year's color scheme/fabric/decor and even last year's appliances. Usually, but not always, by February of the build year, all the old stuff has been used up and the trailers being built will all have the current 2022 year components.....

There have been years when things as dramatic as the exterior FILON color is "white on the first few" and then "tan or gray on the rest of the model year"....

So, make a "personal visit" to inspect each of the trailers. Taking an internet advertisement as the "final consideration for what you're buying" is a very risky proposition !!!!!

Any RV purchase is a "buyer beware transaction", but buying one "sight unsceen on the internet to be delivered to your destination can be "one of the worse purchases you've ever made" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keystone begins the model year on a specific date, as an example, September 20. 2021. That's a Monday, so on that day, the stickers on the side of the trailer and the VIN will be changed to reflect "2022 model year"... There will be a surplus of 2021 components left over. Many of those components will be installed in the 2022 model trailers until the components are all used. So, the first few months of the "new model year" may very well be built with 2021 equipment, colors, furniture, wallboard, appliances and even features (where those features are enhanced by the older components)....

In other words, a 2022 Alpine with a build date of 10/21 may very well have "old style furniture, last year's color scheme/fabric/decor and even last year's appliances. Usually, but not always, by February of the build year, all the old stuff has been used up and the trailers being built will all have the current 2022 year components.....

There have been years when things as dramatic as the exterior FILON color is "white on the first few" and then "tan or gray on the rest of the model year"....

So, make a "personal visit" to inspect each of the trailers. Taking an internet advertisement as the "final consideration for what you're buying" is a very risky proposition !!!!!

Any RV purchase is a "buyer beware transaction", but buying one "sight unsceen on the internet to be delivered to your destination can be "one of the worse purchases you've ever made" !!!!!

Good points. Not disputing that at all since I’ve personally seen it when I was selling them. Only thing I’ll say about it is that I’ve never seen left over parts from previous model years being used that late in the build. Keystone typically changes over model year around July, September is the latest I’ve seen “old” parts being used, however that isn’t far off from Oct so very possible. As I mentioned earlier, obtaining the build sheet from each dealer will tell you a lot.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
What do you plan to pull the camper you choose with. BTW: If you drive across the country to one of the big discounters such as RV One or others that advertise on eBay with prices local dealers can't match, you can have NO expectation of service because that isn't their strong suite; price is.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #9
dutchmensport

East Coast and West Coast builds do use different materials which could translate to the weight difference. They are built at different plants to reduce shipping costs across the country. But that also means building them with more "local" building materials indigenous to the build geographical area. This could also translate to a cost difference too. East or West cost of raw materials (and even different materials) may be different, significant enough to make up for a $10,000 different. The cost factor then comes down to "shipping" charges the dealership tacks on, which is NOT included in the advertised sales price. Ad on sales tax for the regional geographical area, and any other local taxes, dealership fees, and then you may find out the advertised cheaper one may cost significantly more at the end than the higher advertised one at the end, after the final dollar is calculated.

But the listed price difference is because of the cost of raw materials in the geographical area used. (yes, they are different, especially anything wood in all of our campers.)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you are comparing 2 models of the same year but actually built differently, I did the same with my current trailer. I chose the earlier build because the newer build had stuff I didn't want like hanging pendant lights etc. The newer one did have a different paint scheme that I liked but not enough to overcome the other differences like interior trim differences. Pricing on both was about the same but they were both at the same dealership.

Comparing E builds to W can be iffy. There can be some significant differences such as types of slides etc. I also did that prior to purchasing this one. From Keystone descriptions I would have never known the differences if I had not walked around, through and looked under them.

You might do as I did; decide on what the most important items to you are, make sure the one you want has it (I'd look at the cheaper one sounds like) and go for it. Floorplan should be just about identical along with most other things. Dealer location was important to me so didn't really want to buy a trailer on the E coast and live in TX. On some of the comparisons I had to contact the dealership in TX and have them send me pics and videos of the units I compared while looking on the E coast. That may or may not work with a dealer. I knew everyone from the GM down at my dealer so it was no problem but not sure how that would work out with someone that's never heard of you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
bsmith0404

I don’t recall Alpine having a west version like some keystone lines do. I know the west plant is a limited facility. I’m verifying that info with a factory rep and will post the answer when I get it.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don’t recall Alpine having a west version like some keystone lines do. I know the west plant is a limited facility. I’m verifying that info with a factory rep and will post the answer when I get it.

If they don't that would probably account for some of the price difference between E and W coasts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #13
jsb5717

Is the price you're seeing the posted price or a negotiated price. The real price is the price someone will pay for it. Perhaps the higher priced one just starts higher and will negotiate more. Of course, as stated, there is also shipping cost. The further away from the factory, the more that gets added on for shipping...and it ain't cheap
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
jasin1

i looked at two identical toy haulers with a price difference of about $20000 advertised…just about the same options. Same parent corp dealership but different state and likely operate locally …the salesman said the one at his dealership had been in the inventory longer and they wanted to move it and the one that was in the next state was just delivered and had the higher price…they were the same year though.

i know price increases automatically raised the msrp at specific times in the last year which would raise the price of a nearly identical unit that was built months apart

just like cars and trucks some dealers are tacking on an extra 10k or more for the same exact truck
Old 07-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #15
ukedude

Thanks all for the input. Got the build sheets for both from Alpine. Only difference was the base price so it looks like a timing issue. Prices went up from one build to the next.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i looked at two identical toy haulers with a price difference of about $20000 advertised…just about the same options. Same parent corp dealership but different state and likely operate locally …the salesman said the one at his dealership had been in the inventory longer and they wanted to move it and the one that was in the next state was just delivered and had the higher price…they were the same year though.

i know price increases automatically raised the msrp at specific times in the last year which would raise the price of a nearly identical unit that was built months apart

just like cars and trucks some dealers are tacking on an extra 10k or more for the same exact truck
Many/most dealers have a days in inventory cutoff date. Basically once one goes beyond that number, they get a sale price. The dealer wants to move them. That magic number is different everywhere. I’ve seen some say 90 days, others with 180 and anywhere in between
Old 07-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
Thanks all for the input. Got the build sheets for both from Alpine. Only difference was the base price so it looks like a timing issue. Prices went up from one build to the next.
Makes sense

BTW, verified with the rep, Alpine does not have a west coast edition. Only built in Indiana
Old 07-09-2022, 04:59 AM   #18
ChuckS

If you are buying a 2022 Alpine look at the hydrauilc system inside the battery door

If it is Equalizer System and not Lippert be advised rhe support for that system from both Keystone and Equalizer systems sucks

Keystone bought the system from equalizer and is installing it and there is no useable documentation from anyone on the control and wiring of this system

If you call Equalizer..which I did they will telll you Keystone bought the system from them and they have no idea how it’s wired

Call Keystone and they will tell you they have no wiring info on that hydraulic system

If however it’s a Lippert system then you have a reliable system with great tech support and current accurate documentation available

I have peronsally spent many hours helping owners that have the Equalizer system when they had troubles and could get no help from anyone other then being told to take it to the dealership

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #19
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If you are buying a 2022 Alpine look at the hydrauilc system inside the battery door

If it is Equalizer System and not Lippert be advised rhe support for that system from both Keystone and Equalizer systems sucks

Keystone bought the system from equalizer and is installing it and there is no useable documentation from anyone on the control and wiring of this system

If you call Equalizer..which I did they will telll you Keystone bought the system from them and they have no idea how it’s wired

Call Keystone and they will tell you they have no wiring info on that hydraulic system

If however it’s a Lippert system then you have a reliable system with great tech support and current accurate documentation available

I have peronsally spent many hours helping owners that have the Equalizer system when they had troubles and could get no help from anyone other then being told to take it to the dealership
I’ll add that I hate the display. Helped a friend level his RV and with no support documents, I couldn’t tell if it was complete and level or if there was a problem.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #20
ChuckS

Why Keystone Alpine decided to switch over to the Equalizer Hydrauilc system is beyond me

I will never buy an RV with that system installed due to poor quality of parts, non existing help from Keystone or Equalizer company and zero current documentation available that reflects the system installed in the Alpine

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, mod