Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
jasin1

Electric vehicle towing test

posted this in another thread but thought i’d start a new one
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #2
peanut

Electric trucks? Obviously not ready for prime time - - unless you use it only for grocery trips in town.

And again - all the emphasis is on range. Range, range, range. It is important but why not one word about recharge time?

Personally, I wouldn't worry (too much) about only getting 100 miles if - IF - I could get a 100% charge in 15-20-25 minutes - like it takes to pull into a gas station and fill the tank. And if I could pull off at any exit and find a charge station. I wouldn't be surprised if that Jimmy was back to the starting point BEFORE the Ford was recharged enough to make it back. I, for one, would like to know how long that took. Maybe it was mentioned in the comments section but I'm not about to wade thru 2k comments to see.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
posted this in another thread but thought i’d start a new one
Readers Digest version? Who in their right mind (save Brian) would watch a 22 minute video for a statistic?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
jasin1

well George my friend you can use the fast forward button to skip over the junk..i rarely watch videos from start to finish
Old 07-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #5
Canonman

Electric grocery-getter... maybe a good idea. Electric towing vehicle... no bueno for $h!t
My Ram is 15 years old, gets 10 mpg towing our Cougar all day. 300+ range per tankful and the only reason I spend more than 15 minutes refueling is if there is a line at the men's room.
EV's may have their place, but not this place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0111 (1).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	40524  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
Badbart56

That's pretty embarrassing right there. 86 mile range?! Good thing he wasn't in the mountains. The handful of states that have signed bills to ban the sale of diesel fuel and/or diesel trucks might want to watch this.

And the gas GMC getting 8.9 mpg is pretty lame too for hauling only 6000 pounds. That's the kind of mileage I got with my 6.7 F-350 pulling my 18,000 pound Fuzion at 70 mph.

I've just got this to say to the electric vehicle fans and those in the government who are trying to cram these overpriced, overrated future junkyard ornaments down our throats. Call me when one of these trucks can do everything my current F-350 can do. And for the same or lesser price.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Here is an article with the information...without watching the video.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...ious-problems/

It brought up one important issue...how do you charge without unhooking the trailer? Also read another article recently of a woman that decided to go on a 2000mile (?) journey and kept a log...she planned out the trip with every charge stop and the various problems of adjusting her plans due to 'unexpected' problems (traffic, detours, etc).

Anyways the trip was successful but it took her X hours to complete and X hours hooked up to recharge.

Jay
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
Bustinbeards

Anyone else notice no WDH or sway control on either trailer.

The EV might be good for errands or moving around town but is just not a comparable replacement for a gas powered vehicle.
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #9
Balvar24

EV's don't have the range for towing. Maybe if yoh were mowing yards in town for a living? Battery replacement could be an issue.

People fail to realize how energy dense gasoline is.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

India is beginning to use electric busses. Note the passengers had to get out so the bus could make it all the way up the slope. Kinda funny... then another bus comes along and the gaggle begins. Text accompanying video:
"A viral video on social media shows an electric public transportation bus in India failing to climb a hill that happens to be in a hairpin turn.

The bus is being operated by Indian state-run Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited and it was shuttling passengers from the city of Pune to the fort.

TV9 Marathi shared video footage of the vehicle using every bit of power it has in an attempt to climb the hill. However, it just did not have enough power and the bus started going back down the hill and the passengers started getting off of the bus.

Whenever the people started getting off of the bus it resulted in more weight and at that point, the bus was able to successfully climb the hill."

Old 08-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
NMRandy

Albuquerque tried electric busses, it lasted less than a month. The city called the California company to come get their broken busses. They tried to drive them back, and got stranded on I-40, broken down, and made the news. They had to put them on a flatbed to get them home.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That's pretty embarrassing right there. 86 mile range?! Good thing he wasn't in the mountains. The handful of states that have signed bills to ban the sale of diesel fuel and/or diesel trucks might want to watch this.

And the gas GMC getting 8.9 mpg is pretty lame too for hauling only 6000 pounds. That's the kind of mileage I got with my 6.7 F-350 pulling my 18,000 pound Fuzion at 70 mph.
That's a tall, wide and heavy trailer. I have pretty much the same, except Chevy version of that truck and I get around 10 - 11 ish pulling my TT.

One thing that does kinda piss me off and it's just my fault is my last truck had a 33 gal tank. This one only 24. 24 gal is way too small for a real truck.

I like to pull for 4 to 5 hours a day. My last truck I gassed up once a day. New truck, more than that but I just can't imagine trying to get ANYWHERE with a 86 mile range.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:21 PM   #13
dutchmensport

Go ahead and buy one. Then come back and tell us how it REALLY worked out for you! But first ... get rid of all your fossil fuel vehicles! See what happens then?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:57 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Resurrecting this old thread with a bit of an observation on EV vehicles.

Son is a car dealer. Customer ordered a Tesla and it was set to be delivered to him. Customer called DS and asked if he could get the car to him sooner as he wanted to take it to a gathering - needed it by 7am the next day (yesterday). DS got the car and took off to take it to him. It hadn't been fully prepped and only had 1/4 tank (charge). It wasn't that far to him so he took of....it was freezing (it showed it had plenty of miles). He turned on the heater and drove the speed limit (at times 75mph). He said the battery gauge just plummeted. Looked up a location for a Tesla charger. Nearest one was in a bad part of town but had to charge so went there - tried to charge but you have to have a Tesla account, a credit card would not work. Out of charge and stuck he tried a tow truck...all were tied up due to the recent ice storms. Stayed there for a few hours (talking to us) freezing trying to get some help with no luck. Called the buyer and he said to just leave it. Last account it was still there (hopefully) waiting for a tow truck. Wouldn't it be fun to own something like that? (Said in jest).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:21 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Resurrecting this old thread with a bit of an observation on EV vehicles.

Son is a car dealer. Customer ordered a Tesla and it was set to be delivered to him. Customer called DS and asked if he could get the car to him sooner as he wanted to take it to a gathering - needed it by 7am the next day (yesterday). DS got the car and took off to take it to him. It hadn't been fully prepped and only had 1/4 tank (charge). It wasn't that far to him so he took of....it was freezing (it showed it had plenty of miles). He turned on the heater and drove the speed limit (at times 75mph). He said the battery gauge just plummeted. Looked up a location for a Tesla charger. Nearest one was in a bad part of town but had to charge so went there - tried to charge but you have to have a Tesla account, a credit card would not work. Out of charge and stuck he tried a tow truck...all were tied up due to the recent ice storms. Stayed there for a few hours (talking to us) freezing trying to get some help with no luck. Called the buyer and he said to just leave it. Last account it was still there (hopefully) waiting for a tow truck. Wouldn't it be fun to own something like that? (Said in jest).
After reading that it sounds like a great business opportunity. Buy a fleet of tow trucks in the states that EVs will be mandatory just to haul them to charging stations, not wrecks, just EVs needing charged.
Oh! Wait that won't work, the tow trucks will have to be battery powered also.
Oh! Crap can't even take the bus, it's being charged, Oh well I'll call a cab, damn they're all plugged in & unavailable.
This scenario is probably the reason that just about every car dealer in the area has a handful of used Teslas lined up in front row.
Last week there was a woman pulled into our park looking for our charging station, which we don't have, or the nearest one, guess what, the closest is 30-40 miles away & her car is nearly dead. Fortunately there's 2 EV owners here so she went to my neighbors that have one & they plugged her in, took her to lunch & she joined them & the other neighbors in a game of domino's for about an hour & half til it had a 60-70% charge. She thanked them & then they received a $50 gift card to Texas Roadhouse from her.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #16
dutchmensport

All I can say is, "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it." Now I think it's time to restate my own quote by saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you'll be STUCK with it once you get it!"
Old 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #17
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
After reading that it sounds like a great business opportunity. Buy a fleet of tow trucks in the states that EVs will be mandatory just to haul them to charging stations, not wrecks, just EVs needing charged.
Oh! Wait that won't work, the tow trucks will have to be battery powered also.
Oh! Crap can't even take the bus, it's being charged, Oh well I'll call a cab, damn they're all plugged in & unavailable.
This scenario is probably the reason that just about every car dealer in the area has a handful of used Teslas lined up in front row.
Last week there was a woman pulled into our park looking for our charging station, which we don't have, or the nearest one, guess what, the closest is 30-40 miles away & her car is nearly dead. Fortunately there's 2 EV owners here so she went to my neighbors that have one & they plugged her in, took her to lunch & she joined them & the other neighbors in a game of domino's for about an hour & half til it had a 60-70% charge. She thanked them & then they received a $50 gift card to Texas Roadhouse from her.
Your post made me think that wreckers now will need to be outfitted with generators for just such a situation with the EV's. And then I thought, California has implemented a law to prohibit small engines in their quest for a perfect "green" world. So then I thought, ok, they will need to install the bigger, more expensive diesel generators on the wreckers. But then I recall that California (and a handful of other states) introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of diesel fuel by a certain year in the near future! Along with the sale of new diesel trucks at a later date. So at that point I guess all the wreckers will have to be electric too?!

You can't make this stuff up! It would be really funny if it wasn't true.

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-07-2023, 06:33 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to keep bringing this up but the reality of owning an EV is much different than the hype...and this is real life.

Talked to DS this morning, he about to go get the Tesla for the buyer. It was a slightly used Tesla with very few miles. The tow truck finally picked up the car, unattended in a bad part of Dallas, and took it back to the dealer. The put it on the regular slow charger because they didn't have a Tesla charger but it wouldn't charge fast enough. Put it back on a tow truck and took it to a location with a Tesla fast charger and charged the vehicle. It's back at the dealer and he's going to take it to the buyer today.

Can you imagine; mom calls and she's having a medical emergency and you encounter this same situation and it's your only car? Picking the kids up at school? Sounds like an owner would spend half their time worrying about when and where to charge the vehicle. And, the charge gauge with the estimated miles left is apparently useless from every account I've heard or read. To get those miles you can't turn on anything so it can't be cold or hot, you can't have a headwind or go up hills, you can't turn on the heater.... You bet! Where I live it's 60 miles to a Tesla charger minimum and we go places, all kinds of distances, on a whim. No way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #19
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hate to keep bringing this up but the reality of owning an EV is much different than the hype...and this is real life.

Talked to DS this morning, he about to go get the Tesla for the buyer. It was a slightly used Tesla with very few miles. The tow truck finally picked up the car, unattended in a bad part of Dallas, and took it back to the dealer. The put it on the regular slow charger because they didn't have a Tesla charger but it wouldn't charge fast enough. Put it back on a tow truck and took it to a location with a Tesla fast charger and charged the vehicle. It's back at the dealer and he's going to take it to the buyer today.

Can you imagine; mom calls and she's having a medical emergency and you encounter this same situation and it's your only car? Picking the kids up at school? Sounds like an owner would spend half their time worrying about when and where to charge the vehicle. And, the charge gauge with the estimated miles left is apparently useless from every account I've heard or read. To get those miles you can't turn on anything so it can't be cold or hot, you can't have a headwind or go up hills, you can't turn on the heater.... You bet! Where I live it's 60 miles to a Tesla charger minimum and we go places, all kinds of distances, on a whim. No way.
Well, to hear the politicians tell it, there'll be a Tesla in every garage! Sounds like the "chicken in every pot" promise that Hoover made last century! No, while I'll say there is a place for EV's, they're definitely not for everyone. I've heard so much about the trillions of dollars it will cost just to get the power grid capable to be able to have more than 3 cars on a suburban street. And so many folks live in apartments, Trailer parks, etc. I'm thinking they've gotten way ahead of themselves with this experiment. It's certainly not a cost effective alternative to fossil fuel. And the states that have jumped on the "we won't allow diesel fuel" or diesel truck sales are going to be eating crow. This may be entertaining.

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well, to hear the politicians tell it, there'll be a Tesla in every garage! Sounds like the "chicken in every pot" promise that Hoover made last century! No, while I'll say there is a place for EV's, they're definitely not for everyone. I've heard so much about the trillions of dollars it will cost just to get the power grid capable to be able to have more than 3 cars on a suburban street. And so many folks live in apartments, Trailer parks, etc. I'm thinking they've gotten way ahead of themselves with this experiment. It's certainly not a cost effective alternative to fossil fuel. And the states that have jumped on the "we won't allow diesel fuel" or diesel truck sales are going to be eating crow. This may be entertaining.
If you live in an area where the EV is being thrust on you, invest in an extension cord company I guess. Folks will demand charging stations in parking lots in new construction but an older place will probably have a bunch of power cords hanging out windows and the like.

Tags
tow, towing