Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2022, 05:53 PM   #41
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'll just say this, if you want to see absolute rip-roaring laughter take a Marylander out of the state and to a resturant with "Maryland Crab Cakes" on the menu.
Everyone's taste is different, but I wasn't blown away by Marylands crab cakes. Betty loves crab cakes and will order them if they're on the menu. If my memory serves me, we ate crab cakes around Oxford and Easton, and somewhere on the west side of the bay.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah, "taste" in food is like taste in trucks. We come to FL and ain't no one gonna have real Mex food or eat hot food. The jalapenos here are just little bell peppers. Bought a package of the hottest thing I could find at the store, "hot" serrano peppers; you can eat them literally like a bell pepper. Made a pot of posole stew and shared with our neighbors from the NE. Used very mile green chiles and thought it was bland, they thought it was too hot. The "best" of anything is in the eye, or mouth, of the beholder/eater.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #43
prefixla

Well, real estate property became a good option for investment, especially after the global COVID-19 lockdown, but I suggest you buy the RV instead of buying a small cottage. Here is a high possibility that prices for the property will fall this summer for a high value. So my advice to you is to buy a solid RV now. If prices for real estate properties don't fall, you can always buy the property, or if prices fall, you will be able to sell your RV and buy a small house cheaper.
prefixla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #44
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yeah, "taste" in food is like taste in trucks. We come to FL and ain't no one gonna have real Mex food or eat hot food. The jalapenos here are just little bell peppers. Bought a package of the hottest thing I could find at the store, "hot" serrano peppers; you can eat them literally like a bell pepper. Made a pot of posole stew and shared with our neighbors from the NE. Used very mile green chiles and thought it was bland, they thought it was too hot. The "best" of anything is in the eye, or mouth, of the beholder/eater.
Danny, I know you get up around the Tallahassee area and Crawfordville. Have you tried the El Jalisco restaurants? I don't pretend to know anything about Mexican food but these restaurants are very popular here.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Danny, I know you get up around the Tallahassee area and Crawfordville. Have you tried the El Jalisco restaurants? I don't pretend to know anything about Mexican food but these restaurants are very popular here.

Yes, we've eaten at Jaliscos. In fact, it's about as close to Mexican we can find in that area. It's pretty good but they use some kind of seasoning we're not used to which puts us off a little. Almost reminded us of eating norther NM Mexican food that has some native american influences in it. But yes, we've been there. In fact we ate at that new one in Crawfordville right before we left in May.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #46
JJnLilly

After twenty years of 'snow birding' we spent the last three years in a small RV park and decided to buy a park model and stop hauling the big 5th wheel. We now have a small unit for short trips and local camping. The place in Zephyrhills will be our second home for five to six months each season.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:59 AM   #47
DarwinPatzner

Our situation is very similar to yours. The thing is, we were renovating our country house this winter. Only it's not in Florida; it's in California. The renovation took place only inside the house since we had already done it outside last summer. And so, this year, we decided to spend the winter break not in the country house where the renovations were going on but in a campervan. And luckily, we were able to do that. During the trip, we toured many beautiful places in our state and a neighboring state. We visited various restaurants. Well, it's summer again. And we will be spending the last 2 months of it in our almost-ready-to-move-in country house. There is still a little nuance with the home staging, but the experts from https://onstage-online.com/our-services will help us with that.
DarwinPatzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:56 AM   #48
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJnLilly View Post
After twenty years of 'snow birding' we spent the last three years in a small RV park and decided to buy a park model and stop hauling the big 5th wheel. We now have a small unit for short trips and local camping. The place in Zephyrhills will be our second home for five to six months each season.
I guess if you span out the scenarios of global warming rhetoric, "snow birding" is going to become an inverted practice of people in Florida seeking cooler temperatures and climate in Canada. Never say never?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:05 AM   #49
bsmith0404

My wife grew up vacationing in the same place down in Mexico. Once she finally talked me into crossing the border, we took the Alpine down there and had a great time. We went a couple times a year for a few years straight and then started taking my parents down there, my dad loves the fishing. We considered buying a vacation home down there, but my thought was I can still take the Alpine down, it’s not that bad, 9 hour trip, park it on the beach and enjoy it whenever we want and still take it other places. I know retired life is different from working life, but I couldn’t see limiting myself to one place. I look back to my childhood, we went to Canada fishing every year. Changed lakes/locations many times. I also spent 25 years in the Air Force moving around quite a bit. Many places I never made it to that I want to go, many places I left years ago that I’d like to go back, too many rv trips planned to make a perm location worth while. Plus, with the rv, if I don’t like my neighbors, I can move. Of course, with the recent surge in rv owners, it’s getting more difficult and takes more planning.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:12 AM   #50
DavidAndDonna

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Question to the snowbirds on the forum..family is talking about buying a small cottage either on the water or near the water in Florida….what do you end up spending for the winter for campground fees for those that winter down there?…are the campgrounds pretty decent for a winter stay or do you get relegated to the outskirts and back areas?

I’m getting tired of winters in MD and can work down in Florida during the winter if I need to
Some of your questions I can't comment on however, after owning a 2nd property for several years, personally, I found it to be the biggest PITA of my life. I sold the property and we now own just one property and take our camper everywhere.
Life's ALOT simpler and money's making interest!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #51
dutchmensport

I did not read all the posts on this thread, but you said:

"family is talking about buying a small cottage..."

Um ... my opinion ..??? Run. Tell them "No." Unless YOU are prepared to foot the entire bill. Family or not, you are setting yourself up for a financial disaster when others are involved in a financial deal. And physical property at that, lots and lots of "legal" things, insurances, and everything else. Guess who's going to end up holding the bag?

Besides? If you go together with such an endeavor.... who gets use of the cottage ... when? They might be "family" but when it comes to money.... I've known too many people who have been screwed over by "family!"

I wouldn't do it. Stick with your camper and be independent.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #52
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I did not read all the posts on this thread, but you said:

"family is talking about buying a small cottage..."

Um ... my opinion ..??? Run. Tell them "No." Unless YOU are prepared to foot the entire bill. Family or not, you are setting yourself up for a financial disaster when others are involved in a financial deal. And physical property at that, lots and lots of "legal" things, insurances, and everything else. Guess who's going to end up holding the bag?

Besides? If you go together with such an endeavor.... who gets use of the cottage ... when? They might be "family" but when it comes to money.... I've known too many people who have been screwed over by "family!"

I wouldn't do it. Stick with your camper and be independent.
I would wholeheartedly agree!
If you want a cottage somewhere buy it on your own then there's no question who's responsible for what. IF you want the family to use it when you aren't so be it, but you & you alone have the say so on who uses it when & for how long. Save yourself lots of aggravation!
I don't loan my vehicles, my tools or money to anyone, especially family.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would wholeheartedly agree!
If you want a cottage somewhere buy it on your own then there's no question who's responsible for what. IF you want the family to use it when you aren't so be it, but you & you alone have the say so on who uses it when & for how long. Save yourself lots of aggravation!
I don't loan my vehicles, my tools or money to anyone, especially family.

^^^^This! I finally learned "loan" to family really means "give"...so I quit. To this day I can go to my DS's garage and there will be an xyz tool I remember from long ago; he'll look at me and smile and say "remember that"?

As far as buying things with family (or anyone else) that's a no go for me as well. I'm too particular and some folks just aren't - those two facets will clash at some point. Far better to own it outright and then when the maintenance becomes a big headache just sell it vs discussion etc. to come to some agreed upon decision.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #54
P & T

FWIW; I did some simple hypothetical math for DW last year. If we buy a condo in Florida for $300k and use it for 10 years (3 months out of the year) that's $30k a year. Sure there's taxes, insurance, etc., but there's also appreciation (you'd hope) and have nothing to lose to get your money back at the end of a decade.

Or

Spend $20k a year on RV'ing and go anywhere we want without having to fix toilets or any plumbing that's 3,000 miles away.

We sold our rentals to pay for kids colleges and I'm done being Mr. Roper.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #55
travelin texans

In the past we had rental properties & made a little money.
Nowadays with the "it's not mine" attitudes of people & the "Covid can't evict" policies there's NO WAY I want anything to do with owning rentals again.
Our son had to move back to the Seattle area awhile back, looking for a rental for about a year. They found a couple nice places, but with the 1st/last months rent & a $5000 deposit the move in was $12000. He took that $$ & bought a 30'+ BH to stay in, parked at his in laws property with FHUs & sold it when finished & got his money back + a little.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter