Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2023, 04:37 AM   #21
chrisphussle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just thinking about the OP's first couple of posts in this thread, he's considering installing a 5000 watt inverter (41 amps output) in his trailer. I believe it's a 30 amp system, so all of the "power panel distribution wiring" (except the actual shore power cord) is either 12 ga or 14 ga ROMEX. Neither of those is rated to handle the inverter's 40 amp output.

Wiring that large of an inverter into a 30 amp trailer AC distribution system using the existing ROMEX wiring is going to create some potential overloaded wiring in the walls of that trailer.
Sorry, I was mistaken, it's a 2500W inverter. It was out in the garage for a while...

Further to your comment regarding potential overloaded wiring. I have run #10 from the inverter to backfeed the panel with AC power when shore power is not available. I installed a 30A switch between the inverter and the panel to act as an MTS. From the switch it hits the panel and lands on the main breaker. #10 THHN @ 75° is rated for 35A.

Feeding the panel with 35A doesn't mean that the #14 and #12 wiring within the trailer is going to pull that. Everything is still on their breakers and will function appropriately should any one of the circuits exceed the breakers amperage rating.

My panel is rated at 40A.
2006 Keystone Springdale Model #269 RLLS
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
chrisphussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:41 AM   #22
chrisphussle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That’s why I said I wouldn’t do it. I’ve seen 3 trailers so far with liPo batteries under the bed. Pleasureway puts them under the bed ( back seat) in their RVs.

I don’t know what type of battery OP is talking about, lead acid would be a definite NO!
Too late!

https://www.power-sonic.com/product/ps-121000/
2006 Keystone Springdale Model #269 RLLS
2017 Ford F-250
Nevada
chrisphussle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, mod, springdale, wiring, wiring diagram