Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
DCooper

I am new, from Lakeland FL. I have a 2021 Passport 2400RB. Pulling with a 2016 Lincoln Navigator. We did have a Cl A MH (gas) we sold 2 years ago and have been trying to figure out which way we wanted to go. Hopefully I can receive guidance from you folks when needed and I can share if I have anything of value.
DCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:05 AM   #2
Max23

Welcome. Good luck there. Hope it works out for ya.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
travelin texans

Welcome aboard!
At the risk of being called the weight police I'm gonna say it anyway!
You may want to do some number crunching on the Navigator. That rv is 29' long with a GVWR of 7630lbs which will be a tongue weight of over 900lbs.
Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door stating "occupants and cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs" that's the payload of the Navigator. Payload is everyone/everything in/on the vehicle + that 900+lbs tongue weight + 100+ lbs for the mandatory WDH.
If I were to guess the Navigator has 1200-1500lb payload listed, if so you used 1000+ lbs with the tongue weight & hitch before anyone plants their cheeks in the seats.
Full size SUVs are great people movers & grocery getters but weren't designed to be tow vehicles for long heavy trailers. What it was advertised to able to "tow" & what it's actually posted that it's able to "carry" are totally different numbers, the payload, ability to "carry", will be exceeded long before it can safely tow that advertised weight. Along with the dry weight of any rv, it's also a useless number, unless you're the factory delivery driver you will NEVER tow any rv near that dry weight.
As I said do your homework so you & yours can travel safely along with those on the highways along side of you!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Congrats on getting your new Passport. Welcome to the forums. I hope you have great success and many happy camping adventures ahead of you. Happy Camping!
Old 03-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
cougar23

Please read what "travelin texans" said and double check all of your weights.
If unsure of weights, load up your camper and go to a CAT scale to double check. Your safety is most important.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #6
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:12 AM   #7
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCooper View Post
I am new, from Lakeland FL. I have a 2021 Passport 2400RB. Pulling with a 2016 Lincoln Navigator. We did have a Cl A MH (gas) we sold 2 years ago and have been trying to figure out which way we wanted to go. Hopefully I can receive guidance from you folks when needed and I can share if I have anything of value.
As "Travelin Texans" mentioned, do a little homework with the numbers and you'll be surprised at how fast that payload is consumed. I'm in the process of showing a co-worker on how to calculate the weight numbers before he purchases a truck and a Toy Hauler TT.
I created a simple excel form with formulas so I can plug in actual and fake numbers for (gas, pax, cargo, etc.) to see where I'm at with. The closest CAT Scale for me is 1.5 hours away, and not in a direction of travel for me, so I calculate on the heavy side.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:31 AM   #8
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.

Tags