Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
this posted today…it’s a ford lightning which is irrelevant because he is not towing the fifth wheel with it, but it shows how the ford onboard scale works.
Interesting how accurate it is, when the driver gets into the truck it deducts the weight of the driver from the payload.
i don’t know if this onboard scale uses a different algorithm for electric vehicle payload or if it is standard across the ford truck line with just adjustments to fuel mileage.

i can’t see this having a good outcome for warranty powertrain claims by truck owners if they regularly haul above their payload capacity…also maybe it will go into limp mode to protect the truck? (and the dealer) from warranty issues
I didn't watch the video, but just looking at the picture that onboard scale is probably flashing red while displaying giant letters on the screen "ABORT, ABORT", that much 5th wheel on an electric 1/2" ton, or any 1/2 ton.
But if you notice it's either not hooked up or the weight is not on the truck, you can see the red bucket under the one front leg. Just more rv towing misinformation by truck manufacturers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:04 AM   #22
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I didn't watch the video, but just looking at the picture that onboard scale is probably flashing red while displaying giant letters on the screen "ABORT, ABORT", that much 5th wheel on an electric 1/2" ton, or any 1/2 ton.
But if you notice it's either not hooked up or the weight is not on the truck, you can see the red bucket under the one front leg. Just more rv towing misinformation by truck manufacturers.
I think what happened is they were lowering the 5th wheel on the truck, but never got it completely off the buckets when the scales got maxed. They didn't have a proper hookup they just dropped the pin onto some yellow leveling blocks to try and protect the bed.

The way the scales connect up (i think anyway) the small rod that must be connected to some sort of load sensor might have possible got forced beyond its limit and stuck.

There are certain weight amounts you can enter in the scale section, and you can also reset the scale. Quite honestly I didn't find it very intuitive to work with. Plus it doesn't give an actual precise number, other than displaying your payload that comes off the sticker. So its hard to say if your over by 1lb, or over by 50lb.

I know it doesn't matter as far as warranty stuff goes, they can and will deny claims whenever they want. But without offering any accuracy whatsoever, if someone wanted to make a stink about it, they probably do have a leg to stand on.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:04 PM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
yeah they never intended to tow with the truck..they were doing a test of weight with the onboard scale..it was easier and cleaner then filling the bed with rocks i guess
Old 03-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #24
wiredgeorge

I think the test proved a big ol' 5th wheel is too much weight for an electro-Ford truck. Would love to see them actually mount a hitch and if the 5ver didn't squish the Ford perhaps see how many miles they could get on a charge. And that screen would be a MAJOR distraction.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

If they sell a lot of those trucks I can just imagine the questions popping up on the forum.

"I just bought a lightning with a 1,550 lb. payload. Hitched up my new trailer with 850 lb tw at dealer and drove home. Loaded up the unit to go camping and now the screen says it's overloaded. I moved everything to the back of the trailer before we went on our first trip and screen reports weight is fine but now the trailer sways really bad at any speed above 45 mph. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????? "
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:00 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If they sell a lot of those trucks I can just imagine the questions popping up on the forum.

"I just bought a lightning with a 1,550 lb. payload. Hitched up my new trailer with 850 lb tw at dealer and drove home. Loaded up the unit to go camping and now the screen says it's overloaded. I moved everything to the back of the trailer before we went on our first trip and screen reports weight is fine but now the trailer sways really bad at any speed above 45 mph. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????? "
And, if someone does post that scenario, somebody is going to recommend a Hensley hitch to "solve all their problems .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

I think if the scenerio comes up we should give advice as to how much air pressure should go into the Lightning's tires. That might help the truck get out of the RED ZONE?
Old 03-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I think if the scenerio comes up we should give advice as to how much air pressure should go into the Lightning's tires. That might help the truck get out of the RED ZONE?
Dangerous territory there George LOL
Old 03-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You could always consider draining the windshield washer fluid container to reduce front axle weight .....

Maybe even remove the bulbs from the headlights and only drive during daylight hours when it's not raining, since some states require headlights when wipers are in operation...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Dangerous territory there George LOL
See what you started? I have been looking at youtube videos this morning myself trying to figure out which tires to put on my wife's Crown Vic. 225/60R-16. Michelins are really priced high and am leaning towards Goodyear. THIS IS NOW OFFICIALLY A TIRE THREAD!
Old 03-10-2023, 09:17 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Not to vector off topic but the tires, nor the pressure within would alter the amount of the weight applied to the truck. But this post could add considerably contribute to the volume of responses to this post. Sorta like adding a camouflage rabbit hole in the path of respondents.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:10 AM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
See what you started? I have been looking at youtube videos this morning myself trying to figure out which tires to put on my wife's Crown Vic. 225/60R-16. Michelins are really priced high and am leaning towards Goodyear. THIS IS NOW OFFICIALLY A TIRE THREAD!
for the heck of it i googled and found at least two Crown Victoria forums and a subreddit for Crown Vic’s….it’s a popular car..good luck though

Tags
ford