Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
Ske120

Condensation problems

We have the Cougar R28RKS fifth wheel and we have a problem with condensation in the bedroom area in late fall. Temps 0 to -5°C. Condensation was so bad that we literally had water coming out from behind the outlet and laying in a puddle on the top of the nightstand. Condensation in the main area of the camper isn’t as bad but still quite a bit. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, what did you do to deal with this problem?
Ske120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

First and foremost; ventilation. Although having open vents while trying to maintain heat sounds counterintuitive, simply breathing in an enclosed space generates moisture that condenses on cold exterior surfaces. The more bodies breathing (people & pets), the more moisture inside. Add to that cooking and showering. That moisture has to go somewhere. Ventilation is key.

Now you need a dry heat source, like the furnace which is good for circulation and drying the air. Maybe a dehumidifier?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
Ske120

Thank you. I was thinking about a dehumidifier. We do have the furnace running and we have also used the fireplace.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Rob has hit the major points. You have to have ventilation. You need a heat source such as the fireplace or other heaters. We carry a dehumidifier and use it year round in humid areas. I am also VERY selective about any cooking I do in the trailer with the gas burners or oven. I try to cook outside or use induction cookers generally. The oven is used occasionally for baking stuff but the gas burners virtually never come on.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske120 View Post
Thank you. I was thinking about a dehumidifier. We do have the furnace running and we have also used the fireplace.
How many people in the trailer?
DW and I full time in a 32’ 5er, have dehumidifier and Heat with furnace no open vents. We do run range hood vent to outside when cooking and the bathroom vent when showering. We don’t have condensation issue at 0 C and 91% humidity outside.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:22 PM   #6
bobbecky

The only time we had condensation that bad was years ago, in cold weather and had water leaking into the trailer from around one of the slide windows. Once we solved the problem of the water leak, the condensation disappeared.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:11 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Well not asked, I will assume this is weekend or week long trips.
We don't have much issue with condensation, but we full time and the trailer is always heated in the winter. We have two dehumidifiers a larger unit in the main living space, and a desk top unit in the bedroom. Heat is out furnace running on electric mode, but it should be no different than gas. Our unit has a ceiling fan, which we run to keep constant air circulation. We keep the front closet doors open slightly to help circulation.

I think one issue that you may have is extra moisture accumulated during storage between trips. Do you keep roof vents open during storage? Vent covers will allow you to keep these open all the time. As stated before we don't have those open in winter, we actually have the foam plugs in them.

We keep the interior humidity at the low 40% range.

Good luck with your issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:48 AM   #8
Ske120

Thank you everyone. I will get a dehumidifier for the trailer and I will open the vents while it is stored in the off season. I hadn’t thought about leaving the vents open in the off season and with COVID we didn’t use it as much in the last couple years, so probably moisture built up.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:03 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Quote:
Thank you everyone. I will get a dehumidifier for the trailer and I will open the vents while it is stored in the off season. I hadn’t thought about leaving the vents open in the off season and with COVID we didn’t use it as much in the last couple years, so probably moisture built up.
I'm confused between the first and the last post. Are you saying that you are using the trailer or is it vacant when you get the condensation?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:13 AM   #10
Ske120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I'm confused between the first and the last post. Are you saying that you are using the trailer or is it vacant when you get the condensation?
We use the trailer for trips and moose hunting in the fall. It is when we are using it in the fall that we have condensation problems. When it is stored in the off season we haven’t been leaving the vents open so that may have contributed to the problem as mentioned by one of the previous replies.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:16 AM   #11
NH_Bulldog

We leave the roof vents open year round (we have MaxxAir II covers).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:27 AM   #12
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We leave the roof vents open year round (we have MaxxAir II covers).
I've never thought about leaving my vents open when not in use. I live in Florida and have the AC set at the highest level to remove heat and humidity for most of the year when parked at home. I've never experienced any condensation issues and the camper always feels dry.
What part of the season would you recommend leaving the vents open?
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:07 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

There are different types of dehumidifiers you can use in the trailer. I highly recommend a compressor type unit vs the others. They are much better at removing moisture than any I've used.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
We have the Cougar R28RKS fifth wheel and we have a problem with condensation in the bedroom area in late fall. Temps 0 to -5°C. Condensation was so bad that we literally had water coming out from behind the outlet and laying in a puddle on the top of the nightstand. Condensation in the main area of the camper isn’t as bad but still quite a bit. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, what did you do to deal with this problem?
While I wouldn't completely rule out "condensation" as the source of this type of water problem (most anything is possible), I'd be much more concerned that this is a water leak and that water has saturated the front cap area and the insulation behind the fiberglass.

First, condensation typically doesn't "enter the space between the wall and the fiberglass exterior"... Generally speaking, condensation from "INSIDE" the trailer will simply collect on the interior wall surface and maybe run down the wall to wet the area behind the mattress or pool on the bedside table top. But, your description that water was "coming out from behind the outlet" causes me to focus more on water "INSIDE the wall" rather than "condensation forming ON the wall"....

I'd urge you to look "beyond condensation" and do a complete and VERY THOROUGH inspection of all the clearance lights, the front cap/TPO membrane junction and EVERY INCH of sealant around that location. Don't forget to inspect the gutter spouts as they may mask a leak where the sidewall/roof molding ends (under the gutter spout)...

I think you have a leak that's saturated the front cap, not simple condensation.... I hope I'm wrong, but better to know if there's a problem than to "pass it off as something else causing the water to "come out of the outlets"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote