Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
flyingjack

Touring with Montana HC 295RL & 1956 Cessna 182

Looking for advice/opinions: Hurricane Ian changed our southeast US mid Jan-April trip; now planning New Orleans, west to TX/MEX border & AZ/MEX border (can you say warm). Wife/I take turns driving/flying to RV parks located near small airports then base out of that airport for 1-4 weeks (at least in UT, ID, MT & WY last three years May thru July) but I think this winter southern trip most of our durations will be shorter.

Therefore; we're looking looking for any info/suggestions/opinions regarding fun places or stops AND good food. Love Cajun.

Planning first two weeks of Jan. in New Orleans and parking Cessna at private grass strip adjacent south of Mississippi River- looks like neat area to base from.

We will have pickup and ebikes to get around on land plus a tandem inflatable kayak when near lakes or rivers-albeit temps permitting.

Appreciate any and all ideas. Please post here, or PM.
Thanks, and now to get back to canceling reservations. Maybe 2024?
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Not sure how things will be in TX, but as you come across to NM and AZ you will have trouble finding rv parks with available spaces. Everything will be completely booked up with snowbirds after Thanksgiving. Recommend you figure out your locations quickly and get reservations made.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Personally I would not be trying to stay anywhere near the Mexican border. Unless you know the area you could well put yourself in the middle of a situation you don't want to be in. It's not fun to go to sleep in a tent beside the Rio Grande (American side), wake up in the middle of the night with 4-5? Mexicans on horseback, heavily armed standing in the middle of camp illuminated by the fire - and it is far worse these days. We thought we knew the area better than that. LA (lots of great places other than the New Orleans tourist trap), TX and AZ offer lots of good places without putting yourself in jeopardy. Also, as was mentioned if you are looking for places starting in Jan. you may be out of luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Just to add... New Orleans is now the murder capital of the country. The southern border is porous and MANY illegals with bad intentions are swarming. I live a couple hundred miles from the border but the influx of illegals is happening around us especially in the main highway corridors. Suggest if you want to camp in Texas you move north of IH10.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
Mikendebbie

I second what Wired George and Sourdough said. It pisses me off that South Texas is a mess right now. We have had many great trips down there. And it seems the criminal element everywhere has become much bolder in the last two years. I will not leave my car in the parking lot of what used to be the nicest mall/shopping area in Austin because I don’t want my catalytic converter stollen. Oops I think I wandered off topic a bit…stay north of IH10.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:04 AM   #6
flyingjack

Thanks for all replies. Wife/I and our crews installed fiber optics all over SW TX starting in 2012 moving through Austin 2016 ending up in San Antonio thru 2018. Coming from Denver we loved working in TX and almost bought two lots at a new proposed airpark NW of Austin-project failed. Oddly enough, turned into an RV park west of Liberty Hill. Stayed in RV and when not working, flew all over that part of TX- loved it. Very sorry to see it's changed so much so fast. Traveled back and forth on I10 from Fort Stockton to San Antonio. We'll look for gated specific RV parks and stay longer.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
bsmith0404

I live in Las Cruces NM, about 40 miles north of the border. I can tell you RVs, cars, trucks, UTVs are stolen daily around here. Has gotten really bad over the last two years. I have locks on everything, cameras and security lights, and just to make things even more inconvenient, remove batteries for electric jacks and hand cranks for manual jacks. So far none of my stuff has walked away, but it’s definitely a concern anytime you’re close to the border. BTW, I’m north of I -10, but once you get west of Ft Stockton that isn’t saying much. Albuquerque is worse than Las Cruces and it’s 250 miles north of the border.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

"We'll look for gated specific RV parks and stay longer."

Just an observation, if a tall fence with razor ribbon on top, a river, Border Patrol Agents, armed ranchers, and thousands of miles of jungle and dessert hasn't discouraged them I doubt a swing down barrier at a campground will. JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I10 is a good general guideline until you get to far W TX and then across most of NM and some of AZ. There are some nice places in AZ around I10 as you get past Tucson. Don't know what you're looking for but in TX you can get pretty far S of I10 if you are E of the Mexican border; Corpus Cristi area, Rockport, Galveston area, Port Lavaca, Palacios - those are all pretty S in TX.

Trying to stay S (as in warmer) of I10 in LA leaves lots of interesting country and good food. You might look into the Houma area or Thibodaux. Breau Bridge has a great crawfish festival but it will be in May I believe. Lots of places to go, do, see and eat and stay away from the Mexican border and stay fairly warm. We winter in the FL panhandle and I consider that as far N as one wants to get if you are looking for a "warm" winter....and it can still get cool there, just no ice, snow etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
Thanks for all replies. Wife/I and our crews installed fiber optics all over SW TX starting in 2012 moving through Austin 2016 ending up in San Antonio thru 2018. Coming from Denver we loved working in TX and almost bought two lots at a new proposed airpark NW of Austin-project failed. Oddly enough, turned into an RV park west of Liberty Hill. Stayed in RV and when not working, flew all over that part of TX- loved it. Very sorry to see it's changed so much so fast. Traveled back and forth on I10 from Fort Stockton to San Antonio. We'll look for gated specific RV parks and stay longer.
I have only stayed in one "gated" RV park in Texas and that was in Houston near the Medical Center. If you were ever in that area you would know why they were gated. You won't find many gated parks in Texas I am afraid. Just stay towards the north and you will be fine.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana