Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Wind Deflectors

Anyone here use/used a wind deflector? If so what are your thoughts?

http://www.icondirect.com/categories...nd-Deflectors/

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Cool Canuck

They will get the bugs up a little higher on the trailer.

Although the diagram looks good, I don't think that's quite the way things work. Things that stick up in the air create drag. The air comes off the deflector and tumbles in behind it creating turbulence. Think speed brakes on aircraft, spoilers on gliders and those roof flaps on NASCAR cars. The bugs, however, have some mass to them and are accelerated upward and are unable to follow the change in direction of the air. That is how particle separators work. But Hey! I'm no Rocket Surgeon. If someone has some wind tunnel evidence to the contrary, by all means post it.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
mhs4771

Here's what I have read. Yes they do work, BUT you have to get the right angle, a little off either way and they will hurt more than help. Now if we could put our entire TV and Trailer into a wind tunnel and be able to adjust the angle they might be worth it. Some I've seen run into the hundreds of dollars, then there are the home made ones of plywood. I think it would have to show a good increase of MPG or it might take years to reach pay back.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
jsmith948

Have you ever noticed that the rear of large trucks (semi vans) collect huge amounts of snow and dirt when traveling in bad weather? The square shape and the abrupt, flat termination of the truck's profile actually creates a vacuum behind the rig. Some of the freight companies are experimenting with airfoils (boat tails) at the rear of the rigs to reduce the rearward drag exerted on the trailers. IMHO, an airfoil mounted anywhere forward of the trailer which also leaves a gap between the foil and the trailer will create turbulence (and drag) behind the foil to the extent that it will negate any benefit. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

think about the cars from nascar. spoiler on the back and the car right on the truck is getting sucked along if the spoiler pushed the air up the car in trail would not be pulled along in the draft. so imnsho it is a waste of money un less your like the guy downthe road from me his air foil on the roof of his ford looks like it came of a sprint car.complete with product stickers save your money and spend it on more camping
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
jbsmith

I agree with others that you're unlikely to realize significant (if any) fuel savings with a deflector when towing a modern trailer with an aerodynamic front. The front of our trailer sits close enough to the cab of the truck that I wouldn't expect any real benefit of a deflector...other than tossing more bugs and road debris even higher up on the cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
LeeMedic

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will opt out of purchasing one. I don't have money to waste.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
BMcCutcheon

Wink

Sometimes when I go back and look at some of these older posts I am just amazed at some of the responses I see. Since I actually have one of these Deflectors, I think I'll add my 2 Cents.

I have an Aero-Shield 600 Series Deflector for my Full-Sized Ford F250. The short answer is Yes it actually works. You have to set the angle right in order to see the fuel savings and it's not that difficult. The instructions that come with the deflector are not very good, but I found that if I attach one end of a piece of string to the middle of the deflector and the other end to the highest point of the front of my Fifthwheel, the angle is correct when the string runs a straight line from the deflector to the roof line. I have been able to add between 4-6 miles per gallon depending on the terrain and wind conditions. On a trip from Atlanta to Dallas and back this past spring I saved 40 Gallons of fuel compared to the same trip with the same RV/Truck Combination that I took the year before. Thats nothing to sneeze at with fuel being $3.50 to $4.00 per gallon. I figure I will make my money back on the deflector in the next year easy.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Almost 6 years to the day I am resurrecting this thread for discussion.
I was waxing the trailer today and noticed a lot of pitting in the dark paint portions of my cap from bugs just above the cab height of my TV. I mentioned this to the "old timer"that mows the storage area grass and he said years ago he had a trailer and used a roof spoiler that deflected the bugs and helped his MPG.
Question: Having not seen many of these apparatuses mounted to TVs as of late (my last few years towing),are these a thing of the past or can anybody explain the benefit of the one they are currently using?
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Almost 6 years to the day I am resurrecting this thread for discussion.
I was waxing the trailer today and noticed a lot of pitting in the dark paint portions of my cap from bugs just above the cab height of my TV. I mentioned this to the "old timer"that mows the storage area grass and he said years ago he had a trailer and used a roof spoiler that deflected the bugs and helped his MPG.
Question: Having not seen many of these apparatuses mounted to TVs as of late (my last few years towing),are these a thing of the past or can anybody explain the benefit of the one they are currently using?
Thanks
RMc

Someone will probably have a better answer than I do, but....

You don't see those spoilers anymore, virtually none even though the amount of RVs on the road has exploded exponentially. I would have to suspect the real benefits of them vs the perceived and the trouble of using them. Secondly, how are you getting "pits" from the bugs? Mine are all plastered on the top of the finish, not in it. I will say if you leave them on too long they then appear to be imbedded but in reality those soft bugs don't imbed themselves in the paint as best I can tell.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Laredo Tugger

sourdough, I used the dryer sheets on the complete front surface (the cap and lower compartment) and while the dark bug marks disappeared on the lighter surfaces the dark finished surfaces seemed to be pitted. I could not rub out the white marks embedded into the finish. Maybe I'm using the wrong cleanser/compound to remove the dark finished surface imperfections?
I'm all ears for a suggested remedy.
Thanks
RMc
Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
66joej

Can't respond to the bug pits but if you do an internet search on those cab mounted wind deflectors you will find some actually have a negative effect on fuel economy and air dam effect. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

If they are disappearing from the lighter areas but you still see them in the dark I would suspect (my opinion) that there is still some sort of bug residue. I would first ascertain, 100%, if they are pits or stuck on "stuff". That doesn't take much. You can usually take a fingernail and determine if a spot is "raised" or a "pit" - get it moist and let it soften. If they are pits you need to figure a way to stop that - I've never experienced pits from bugs. If not, remove them quickly. Let them soak before trying to remove. Bugs that sit and literally "bake" onto a surface become part of the finish and take a LOT of work to get off. The things I can think of would remove the finish and require rewaxing, 303 or whatever. Get them wet, let them soften, scrub off with something non abrasive and refinish if necessary. I've never found "bugs" that would not come off - some may leave a little "dull" spot until I rewax.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
Laredo Tugger

joe, Yes. The previous threads (6 years ago) were mostly thumbs down on the spoiler with the exception of the last. Guy claims 3-4 MPG improvement. That got my attention and compelled me to ask. Was thinking about getting one,but then maybe not.

Danny, I will take a closer look at those marks and determine what they are and what to do about them. I'll mess around on a few spots with some different products and get them buggers (no pun intended) out. Thanks.
RMc
Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
Canonman

I can say I've not noticed any "pitting" but the hard shelled buggers are he!! on the front vinyl decal of the cougar
Not having much of a problem cleaning them off. I use the Meguiars Gold soap/wax to wash the front cap and then re wax with Nu Finish. No fading as yet either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4128.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	19277  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
Snoking

Kind for reminds me of when we raced a flat bottom boat in the 70's. Clowns on lakes when ask how fast their boats went said about a hundred. Funny our 80 MPH boat ran away and hide from them.

Unless the spooler is within a few feet of the trailers front they only effect bug patterns. If they added 4-5 MPG everyone would have on.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with Snoking. If they worked the first one's to use them would be the haulers that deliver units to the dealership. Reading the ad that the original link points to claims it does everything shy of whitening your teeth. Look at the OTR trucks. The air foils they use are molded on the roof and down the sides of the tractor and there is a relatively small gap between it and the trailer. YMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #18
fourfourto

I been using a wing for 10 years . discontinued now got it from jc whitney,(was white painted it black)
Iwas getting Apx 11MPG long trip now I get 12.5 MPG % increase and it feels a little lighter climbing long hills.
I save a couple gallons from a full tank (20 gallons light goes on.)

When not towing its at 15 degree angle (see pic)
when towing its a little more then 45 degree angle.(see pic old camper)
think it was 100 bucks
The first round trip from Ny to Nm more then paid for it 10 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0909.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	19282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0616.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	19283  

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Laredo Tugger

As I was finishing the wax job on the 5er the other day I took a closer look at the "pitting" on the front cap. It actually appears to be bug marks in the 'sticker" portions of the front end, I tried rubbing out the marks with no luck. The only remedy I can think of is to remove the sticker(s) or mask off the sticker area and lightly spray black spray paint to match the design of the sticker. I guess I could also order new ones as well.
RMc
Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #20
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
I been using a wing for 10 years . discontinued now got it from jc whitney,(was white painted it black)
Iwas getting Apx 11MPG long trip now I get 12.5 MPG % increase and it feels a little lighter climbing long hills.
I save a couple gallons from a full tank (20 gallons light goes on.)

When not towing its at 15 degree angle (see pic)
when towing its a little more then 45 degree angle.(see pic old camper)

think it was 100 bucks
The first round trip from Ny to Nm more then paid for it 10 years ago.
Might work with a bumper and square box SUV, however with a 5th wheel it is to far from the trailer, and the trailer is to tall.