Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
fla-gypsy

Any cigar smokers here?

Does anyone else indulge in delectable cigars or am I alone with this pastime?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
2011 keystone

I was just given one that has a pink band around it and says its a girl.
does that count
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

Well no but, it is priceless just the same! Congrats

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I moved your thread from General RV Issues to this Odds 'n Ends category. Moderator
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

I quit smoking 6 years ago.
If anyone wants to discuss smoking and other
things that some don't agree nor approve of I feel they should be allowed to.
After all, smoking inside an RV has it's draw backs. Confined space,
smell takes forever to go away. The stink won't wash out. Lowers the
resale value of the unit. There's more, but, if someone wants to talk about it...
you have moved it to the Odds 'n Ends forum where almost anything is open to discussion.
Would be the same as if some folks wanted to discuss the finer points of Single Malts or Bar-B-Que recipes. IMO.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
hoffbrew

I switched to the e-cig, I like to sit down with Mr. Walker and BBQ!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
RVUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

I quit smoking 6 years ago.
If anyone wants to discuss smoking and other
things that some don't agree nor approve of I feel they should be allowed to.
After all, smoking inside an RV has it's draw backs. Confined space,
smell takes forever to go away. The stink won't wash out. Lowers the
resale value of the unit. There's more, but, if someone wants to talk about it...
you have moved it to the Odds 'n Ends forum where almost anything is open to discussion.
Would be the same as if some folks wanted to discuss the finer points of Single Malts or Bar-B-Que recipes. IMO.

hankaye
pssst, you may have unresolved issues.

I smoke black and mild, wine flavored occasionally. They smell good lit or unlit.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
johnnyrose

Hookah, cigars

Being in the Army I have spent a little time in places where smoking a large hookah pipe (with tobacco only) is an evening passtime enjoyed by many men. I also enjoy a fine cigar from time to time. Hankaye, I agree that smoking in your RV is probably not a great idea and I enjoy a barley pop and BBQ all the time! It would appear that some may frown upon a friendly conversation with the confines of the forum.

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
fla-gypsy

For the record, I would never smoke a cigar in an enclosed venue out of respect for others. Those of us who enjoy premium cigars are very courteous to others, we never inhale cigar smoke and just want to enjoy some of lifes pleasures to the fullest. Moderator please feel free to close the thread as this appears to be a topic that cannot be discussed with respect to others views.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
mapleman3

Why?....I like to enjoy a good cigar about a couple times a year with the buddies..usually before a good game of poker.

I really like the Kuba Kuba Acids...they are a flavored cigar and most of the time a slow burner...

I don't smoke them around my family ...another reason its only a few times a year.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
Ruffus

Golf

I like one when golfing occassionally. I might really start back up when Cubans are once again allowed.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

When I was a kid growing up in Key West, (my dad was in the Navy) I well remember the little "Cuban cigar shops" that seemed to be everywhere. There was the inevitable "old man" sitting in Bermuda shorts at a small wooden table out front rolling cigars. I can still smell the sweet aroma of the tobacco that was hanging from the ceiling inside the shops. My only "less than tasteful memory" of that was how they used to lick the tobacco leaves as they rolled the cigars, then roll them on the table and sit them on a rack to dry. My dad never answered my question: Dad, how do they get his spit off those cigars?
Another very fond memory was walking to school every morning and smelling the strong aroma of coffee as it filled the wet heavy air with that unmistakable pungent aroma of "almost burnt coffee beans" so popular in that town.

We went back a few years ago, gone are the cigar shops (maybe one or two left) but the smell of that coffee drifting over the streets took me right back to my childhood and those memories..... Ahhhhh "youth"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
johnnyrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
I like one when golfing occassionally. I might really start back up when Cubans are once again allowed.
OOOOOoooooohhhhhhhh! I didn't even think about a possibility of the trade embargo being lifted! That would be great news for those of us who partake! I enjoy a good Ashton cigar. Very smooth!

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
geo

Now, if Cuban cigars are to your fancy, it's Canada where you want to travel, eh. Head up north to visit our Canadian Forum members! Though I quit smoking pipes and cigars almost 30 years ago, one of my past managers in particular enjoyed Cuban cigars. When I would head off to Calgary on sales trips, I would get that knowing nod and smile from Mike and reply to him with a "Sure". Somehow a dozen Cuban cigars would find their way into my luggage. US Customs never seemed to be concerned about "tobacco hunting". However, one of my buddies from Schlumberger told the story of one of his trips. Another Schlum guy "discovered" Cuban cigars in Calgary and thought he had discovered the motherlode! He purchased about 3 dozen cigars. At the airport, my buddy mentioned to him that Cuban cigars had been illegal in the US since about 1960. This guy got all nervous and disappeared into the men's room. When he came out, there was a certain "air" about him. He had gone in, taken all the cigars out of their metal cases and hidden them on his person - unwrapped. Evidently walked through Customs with no questions and on to the plane where he quickly transferred them to his briefcase. But my buddy said the flight attendent would pass by their seats and give them the "evil eye" all the way back down to DFW wondering who was smoking!

Ron

Oh, JRTJH - as a child in Key West, do you remember ever seeing Hemmingway? Yes, I realize you were very young, and a white bearded old man probably would not have been that memorable . . . but do you? I'm sure you remember the six-toed cats!
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Exsailor

Have one every day and occasionally in the camper. No cheapies though, hand rolled only.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
fla-gypsy

I consider myself a cigar enthusiast but after that opening salvo against all things smoking I figured this was a taboo subject. Thanks to those who responded with more temperate views. I indulge daily in "good" cigars and it is part of my camping experience. Sitting around the fire with a cigar with good friends enjoying the memories of the days activities is very relaxing to me. I respect those who do not indulge but they need to realize that the "Pleasure Police" camapign against all things tobacco will soon pick on one of their enjoyable extras and it will be different then.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

fla-gypsy -
My earlier comment was not intended to curtail any discussion about cigars or the enjoyment some get from them but rather to express a concern about the possibility of your original post ending up in a debate about the pros and cons of smoking - not exactly an RVing-related topic. My apologies - it was poorly worded and I have deleted it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

No, I don't remember seeing Hemmingway, but I do remember that when we got to the island, we first lived in a duplex with nothing but sand all around it. Back then, not all houses had bathrooms, and ours shared a community shower bathroom with one side for women and one side for men. My mother would stand outside the bathroom while I did my daily cleanup. We had jalousey windows that were so neat, and I do remember Mom yelling because we tracked so much sand into the house. Every cat (it seemed) had more toes than usual. We used to "befriend" stray cats so we could count their odd looking toes. But, the things I remember most were climbing coconut trees to knock down those "bowling ball size" hunks and then trying to cut through the fiber to get to the coconut, fishing for baracuda in the harbor behind the house, sneaking onto the navy piers to use hoop nets to catch langusta (lobster) some of which were 4 and 5 lbs each, conch which tasted so wonderful when fried with cornmeal and always getting in trouble for riding our bikes to the other end of the island to go swimming at the beach. We never swam at our house, it just wasn't as "enticing" as sneaking away to explore.

When we went back as adults, some of the old "landmarks" were still there, but the mangrove swamps where we played and fished were pretty much gone, there's a Home Depot where I used to wade to find conch, and no way could one "explore on bicycle" the way we did as children. Even the charter fishing boats that used to hang the daily catch out on racks for all to see have so much less "catch" to display.

Nostalgia, it's wonderful, but unfortunately, I'll never be able to share those experiences with my grandchildren, they are, for the most part, only an old man's memories......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
hankaye

RVUSA, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVUSA View Post
pssst, you may have unresolved issues.

I smoke black and mild, wine flavored occasionally. They smell good lit or unlit.
Any issues that I may have are mainly directed towards those that 'pooh-poohs' what they consider the 'sins of others'. The so called social (?), police, those annoying folks that do the not so subtle’ koff-koff’ when someone near them outdoors lights up, especially when they are up wind. The ones that have a disapproving look for what they perceive to be ‘in their opinion’, inappropriate. They need to realize that folks are individuals, and each thinks for themselves. When I go to a friend’s home and they are smokers, I don’t expect them to stop merely because I’m there. It’s their home, they are free to do whatever they choose to do. Should I find it offensive then I can leave. I have choices that I have to make as well. That’s my responsibility.
There is much in this life that I realize that I should do. There is only one thing that I must do and that is die. Everything else has an option. Yea, I know about taxes ….. that option is go to jail…
This post is not meant to be argumentative nor a flame job. I simply take exception when someone, anyone, feels the need to inform me that I may have “issues”. I am fully aware that I have them. So does everyone.
They are what help us to form our opinions and attitudes towards folks and’ things’.
I’m done now.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
cmssorrell

I started smoking when I was 11 years old and quit in 2001. I'll be 59 this June. Even though its been 12 years since I smoked they still smell good to me.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
fla-gypsy -
My earlier comment was not intended to curtail any discussion about cigars or the enjoyment some get from them but rather to express a concern about the possibility of your original post ending up in a debate about the pros and cons of smoking - not exactly an RVing-related topic. My apologies - it was poorly worded and I have deleted it.
Graciouscly accepted and I understand