Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Jim & Kay

Using a cell phone sounds like a great idea but like JRTJH, we also, tow with a rearview camera on the 5er. I've used the rearview camera set up on 4 RVs and wouldn't do without it. Great for backing in a camping spot & a plus for highway travel too. When we camp locally, I usually go and set up alone. The camera setup is not that expensive with all the benefits it gives, it has a 7" color monitor with audio. (Different toys for different boys)

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
Outbackmel

Parking a 36ft 5er

I have replied before that any combo of hand signals, walkie talkie or cell phones seem to work fine "in most cases". When I return my RV to it's permanent site in the GA mountains, space is tight and 100% of the time I am alone. It is vital I get it in that space correctly for all to work properly. AND, I have to deal with not running over the water or power pedestal.

Here's how I manage without a lot of frustration. Of course, reading mirrors is critical since no one is back there. On the driver's side, I use my 3 piece triangle emergency kit. I place the triangles in the pattern I need to back in straight. Once I get about 3/4 of the way in, I walk off where the RV needs to stop by placing a triangle so when I reach the desired backing in depth, the triangle is even with the middle of the driver's side door.

This is a really easy process and I have never run over anything. Also it's easy on the knees as I am not a jumping bean every 3 feet in and out of the cab of the TV. At unfamiliar campsites, the only issue I have ever encountered are low hanging tree branches. Never hit one and not wanting that experience. Be observant and assess your surroundings and be patient.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Mighty Ming

Hey Cathcartww. What is the iPhone app. Voxer? Tks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
cathcartww

Walkie Talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Hey Cathcartww. What is the iPhone app. Voxer? Tks

We have been using "Walkie Talkie Standard" but there are several out there, and it looks like Voxer would be a good one, too.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
Mighty Ming

Tk u Cathcartww

Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
mapleman3

Have your wife ducttape her iphone to the back bumper and have yours and hers on face time....there you go...no cost rear backup camera ha ha

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
randy69

I use my 15&16 year old sons...

My problem is backing in with 39'7" tt with a f350 crewcab and a 8' bed. The wife would scream at me while backing up turn turn. Well it's always too late. My turning ratio isn't that tight. And big hand signals mean to me come on back. When it just should of be eti biti finger signals. So after entaining the campground. I now let one of my boys guide me in. And everthing is just fine. Wife and I now talk to each other after we pull in our campsite.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
Festus2
Site Team

A great solution in having your sons guide you in but what are your plans when they are not with you? I am thinking that your wife will be travelling with you longer than your sons will be. Most teenagers when they reach their late teens sometimes prefer to stay home and get involved in their own kinds of "recreation" rather than go along with Mom and Dad on their trips.

Have you tried having her watch what your sons are doing and then try to duplicate their signals? It's always nice to work out some kind of system with your DW that doesn't provide entertainment for the campground as well as not resulting in separation or divorce.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
randy69

Festa2

Very funny you make me laugh. And yes I tried that, Better she stays in the cab with me. I just wish keystone came with a backup camera with there stuff It would make things alot easer. Oh why stop there a left and right side camera, And a auto pilot.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
reubenray

My wife has her bluetooth in her ear and I have my Tundra setup for bluetooth with my phone. It works great.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
hankaye

Howdy All;

So many great ideas and methods ...

Me, I've got Rascal to help (?), while
enthustic, his skills of communication are limited.
He also has no thumbs to indicate if I'm on track or not
(thumb up or down), so, I get out, walk around, get lined-up
with the direction I feel is correct and place a wheelchock where
I want to place the driver's side rear trailer tire... Then I back to it.

When Rascal learns to communicate well enough to guide me in ... we're going on Letterman ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
EarsMarie

We are newbies and got the magnetic flagpoles for the ball and hitch.
Only $20.
EarsMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
OhhWell

Man too funny and I'm sure almost everyone relates to the marital stress involved in backing in. I have gotten to the point where I tell my wife to just yell if I'm going to hit something. Most of the time she doesn't take into consideration that there is a CC longbed truck in front that also can't magically pass through trees.

One time I got completely fed up with her "Directions" and told her to hop in the truck and give it a shot. That was one of the best laughs I had but boy did I pay for it for a few days.

I had my wife to use the hand signal where you move your hands closer together to show the distance left to go when getting in close. Usually it works great for everyone. I'm backing in and she's looking at the rear and.... her hands stop moving even though I'm still going backwards. Aparently, she was so focussed on the back of the trailer she didn't notice her stationary hands or me yelling at the top of my lungs "Your hands aren't moving".

Also, doesn't it always seem that no matter what, the power and water pole is on your blind side when backing in?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
azlee56

The BF and I do backing with cell phones. That way I don't have to be in the mirror and I told him, if I say left I mean your left hand. Good thing he stops when I say stop too, a pillar of bricks had snuck up on the side of the truck. He did make me laugh the last time we did, cause I jumped out to do it and called him and he said "where have been for so long" (he's a brat)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
hankaye

Ohhwell, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhWell View Post
Also, doesn't it always seem that no matter what, the power and water pole is on your blind side when backing in?
Generaly, the water and power are located on the driver's side of the campsite..... so they should never be on the 'blindside'. Watch the 'Pro drivers'
When they set-up for their back-in, they have guess-tee-mated where the rear wheels will track and have pulled past the spot to allow for it. Before most (the good ones), start to back they will set the parking break, get out and do a walk around. That's when they will spot any problem areas before they have a problem. Once satisified, he'll get back in the cab, release the parking break, and proceed to back in. Whenever they (the good ones again), suspect a problem or it just dosen't feel 'right', they'll get out and check it out.
No matter how many times it takes...

Your mileage (especially in the campground), will vary ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Outbackmel

Yep, that works

Returning from a trip, I took (usually do) the 5er up to her permanent pad alone. Although my pad is 60 feet in length, we have rules that slides, when extended, cannot encroach over the grass area. The park has an outside mowing service that will not cut any non open area. They ride by doing like 50mph, yet, you cannot drive a golf cart over 18mph

When setting up, I do as mentioned above. I do get stares from visitor sites questioning my in/out of the cab and determination to use every inch of my spot on the hook up side. I generally laugh and suggest if I were "just passing through" and had a pull through site (as they do) I would be done in 1/10th the time. It's a little comedic to hear opinions from those who never try to get in and out of tight spots. Nothing helps more than practice.

The trade off for us is our back in site has beautiful views and borders a fast running creek with deer that come from the woods on quiet mornings. Downside of the running creek is at my age, bladder calls are killers....

As a result of this practice, I fear "few" spots when traveling.

Jumping in/out of the cab is a heck of a lot better than paying for a repair to campground equipment.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote