Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
hawghauler

New guy

Hi new guy names Dave my lady and I started boondocking at bike events a few yrs ago we started with my old psd 97 F250 pulling a fleetwood pioneer 28'
She drove the truck pulling camper and I navigated from the bike seat we decided to upgrade so I picked up a dirtymax dually and went toyhauler shopping found an 08 raptor 299mp 33' for the right price it's been on dealers lot several years delivery to take place Saturday 4/30/22

I know it needs tires for age the AC is probably shot the dealer is currently going through genset and waiting on new carburetor

Any thoughts on issues common to this make / model ??
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Hi new guy names Dave my lady and I started boondocking at bike events a few yrs ago we started with my old psd 97 F250 pulling a fleetwood pioneer 28'
She drove the truck pulling camper and I navigated from the bike seat we decided to upgrade so I picked up a dirtymax dually and went toyhauler shopping found an 08 raptor 299mp 33' for the right price it's been on dealers lot several years delivery to take place Saturday 4/30/22

I know it needs tires for age the AC is probably shot the dealer is currently going through genset and waiting on new carburetor

Any thoughts on issues common to this make / model ??
I own a 2002 Cougar and my A/C worked fine; was 13.5K BTU and I did upgrade. Not sure where you are in the country but 33' means 2 air conditioners make a lot of sense if you see temps over 85F. Good luck. BTW: I am sure the dealer will check everything but get up onto the roof and check all penetrations for signs of a re-seal needed. 2008 and I can guarantee the roof may need attention and water is the #1 RV killer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I own a 2002 Cougar and my A/C worked fine; was 13.5K BTU and I did upgrade. Not sure where you are in the country but 33' means 2 air conditioners make a lot of sense if you see temps over 85F. Good luck. BTW: I am sure the dealer will check everything but get up onto the roof and check all penetrations for signs of a re-seal needed. 2008 and I can guarantee the roof may need attention and water is the #1 RV killer.
Hi wiredgeorge I did examine this unit thoroughly lessons learned on previous campers this thing is solid and was well kept until it sat on lot after trade in the roof has a few yrs in it yet ( put rubber roofs on in my younger days ) I saw no evidence of water intrusion nor rodent. We plan to keep this one for awhile I personally enjoy maintaining things I ride old Harleys so if you're a bike guy you understand if not theyre pretty much wrench ride repeat

I'm just asking for common failures / wear items I may need to examine further before dragging it a few hundred miles and setting up
Old 04-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

You mentioned tires, a must if it's been setting for years. What about bearings and brakes? I'd suggest pulling all the hubs, clean, inspect repac the grease and replace the grease seals. Take a good look at all the springs, spring hangers, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You mentioned tires, a must if it's been setting for years. What about bearings and brakes? I'd suggest pulling all the hubs, clean, inspect repac the grease and replace the grease seals. Take a good look at all the springs, spring hangers, etc.

Thanks marshal I consider that stuff part of changing tires and get a yearly look over my concern with tires is ageing out I am forced to work due to being born beautiful instead of wealthy so they rot out before they wear out

I was over this unit with a fine toothed comb found a few flaws and some wear here and there nothing major . the dealer is going through the generator as we speak replacing carb due to age will not warrant the unit (10 yr thing ) I'm not afraid of work and enjoy sweat equity

My major concern is what tires to get there's so many out there it's overwhelming and I hat to spend high dollars on brand names but dont want any china bombs eating away at my rig
I fully expect to replace the 15000 but Coleman in the living area and half expect to add a second unit in the bedroom we boondoc at bike events throughout the summer and I sleep like a polar bear.

Thanks for your input

Thanks marshal I agree and consider that part of changing tires
Its been on lot 4 yrs I'm told but that got me a price of less than half what they gave in trade value
Old 04-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

If it has been on the lot, common wisdom says tires are aged out after four years. Which brand kind of depends on your tire size. I have 15" rims on my Cougar and Carlisle and Goodyear are the go to brands. With 16" rims, it is a different ball game and I am sure the folks who are in that tire market will chime in. I use Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires as I have had excellent service and to this point no blow outs. I also installed a TPMS system to keep an eye on things as a blow out on a trailer causes mucho damage.

I would also look at an EMS and good quality water pressure gauge for when hooked up to city water. An EMS because surge protectors don't offer much in the way of protecting your electrical system. If you boondock, get some advice about batteries and perhaps solar panels, etc. I don't boondock so know nothing useful. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:36 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:48 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Welcome from NH!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
tacacia

Good luck. Hope everything works out with your purchase!
tacacia is offline   Reply With Quote