Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
Badbart56

Yeah, it pulls it just fine.....

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=461388062017855

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Not trying to figure out what went wrong, but will say ... regardless of his set-up, speed, or condition of the road, this COULD happen to any one of us. I've seen videos of Fifth Wheel trailers and even Motor Home RV's involved in some serious accidents. None of us are immune. It's why we are required to carry insurance and wear seat belts, because EVERY time you get into an automobile, this could be you.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Not trying to figure out what went wrong, but will say ... regardless of his set-up, speed, or condition of the road, this COULD happen to any one of us. I've seen videos of Fifth Wheel trailers and even Motor Home RV's involved in some serious accidents. None of us are immune. It's why we are required to carry insurance and wear seat belts, because EVERY time you get into an automobile, this could be you.
Along with the appropriate vehicle to handle the task!
I agree that weather, road conditions, drivers abilities & most importantly the driver's focusing full attention to driving have an effect, but I'd guess that the majority of those accident videos that inadequate tow vehicles were as much the reason as was the other non preventable conditions.
Unfortunately for everyone the rv/truck manufacturers only worsen the situation by advertising, promoting or just flat out lying about weights & numbers that are useless in reality.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:40 AM   #4
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Along with the appropriate vehicle to handle the task!
I agree that weather, road conditions, drivers abilities & most importantly the driver's focusing full attention to driving have an effect, but I'd guess that the majority of those accident videos that inadequate tow vehicles were as much the reason as was the other non preventable conditions.
Unfortunately for everyone the rv/truck manufacturers only worsen the situation by advertising, promoting or just flat out lying about weights & numbers that are useless in reality.
I remember about 10-12 years ago when we decided to buy a RV at the time I had a Silverado 1500. When we started looking the first dealer went to the salesman said "Oh Yeah you can pull a RV with that" I said "thanks for your time" and he was like "wait, wait" as we walked out. I made the mistake of buying used 2003 F250 which was fine for our first 5er but in a few years when we decided to up size the F250 wasn't rated GVWR for our new 5er. Good thing was it was a 7.3 and I actually sold it for about $2000 more than I paid for it. No matter what anyone says I feel much more comfortable pulling with a dually.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:24 AM   #5
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I remember about 10-12 years ago when we decided to buy a RV at the time I had a Silverado 1500. When we started looking the first dealer went to the salesman said "Oh Yeah you can pull a RV with that" I said "thanks for your time" and he was like "wait, wait" as we walked out. I made the mistake of buying used 2003 F250 which was fine for our first 5er but in a few years when we decided to up size the F250 wasn't rated GVWR for our new 5er. Good thing was it was a 7.3 and I actually sold it for about $2000 more than I paid for it. No matter what anyone says I feel much more comfortable pulling with a dually.
I agree. On the FB Avalanche page people are boasting about towing their 42' 5th wheels with their 3/4 tons and think it's fine. To each their own but I hope I don't have to pass them on the road.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #6
RickV

Anyone have a non Fakebook link to this or possibly somewhere I can download it? I'd like to share it with some people I know that "Need to see it.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Anyone have a non Fakebook link to this or possibly somewhere I can download it? I'd like to share it with some people I know that "Need to see it.
Many to choose from here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ailer+crashing

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtracy View Post
I agree. On the FB Avalanche page people are boasting about towing their 42' 5th wheels with their 3/4 tons and think it's fine. To each their own but I hope I don't have to pass them on the road.
From reading different rv related post on FB I'd have to say that should be the VERY LAST place to ask if you want real world honest answers on ANY rv related questions. Unfortunately those idiots are on the highways "towing just fine!" in their own little world.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtracy View Post
I also agree. The only time those folks look good on the road to me is in my rearview mirror. I would say the majority of big fifth wheels I see on the road are being towed by a 250/2500 TV.
With no industry standards or regulations in place to prevent overloaded towing, it will continue. And to the point I could not imagine someone like the owner of Camping World embracing such rules that would limit sales.
You see it's not so much if YOU live as much as it is about how THEY live.
The RV manufactures could care if you leave the sales lot overloaded and unsafe. They got the sale and the profits. If you eventually end up like the OPs video, oh well... They could care less and are not responsible.
Similar to the pharmaceutical companies with opioids and vaccines. It is not about YOU it's about their profits. Period.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I would say the majority of big fifth wheels I see on the road are being towed by a 250/2500 TV.
With no industry standards or regulations in place to prevent overloaded towing, it will continue.
RMc
I'm on the interstates daily and yes, lots of 3/4 tons, but I'm amazed at the number of 1500's/F-150's being used to tow not only bumper pulls, but also fifth wheels.

You would think a hitch company would share some liability should an accident occur with this set up. I find it hard to believe that all these folks are installing their own hitches.

The majority that are saying "it pulls it just fine" have never towed with the appropriate vehicle, so in a sense they're just ignorant to what we try to pass on to them on this forum and others.

But then there are those who are presented with the facts and are still willing to put themselves and the rest of us in danger.

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

There are many parties involved when an individual buys an RV, tow vehicle, hitch etc. etc. There is NO single business that is responsible for making sure the RV owner has the proper equipment, sets it up right or is even capable of operating it. If they got the money they can play. Trying to make the sellers of various products culpable for failures of a buyer is not the way it needs to be since there is zero oversight and each business has no authority or responsibility to make sure "Ned" has all the appropriate equipment (since he probably won't buy it all from them anyway) when he comes in to buy his hitch (or whatever) or knows how to use it. However....

There IS ONE single entity that should be 100% versed in what they are doing when they decide to pursue an RV, tow vehicle etc. - THE OWNER/BUYER. Exactly how many "Neds" do you think walk in, buy a new King Air, walks out on the tarmac, crawls in the cockpit, stares at the instrument cluster thinking "wth is all this"......oh well, let's fire it up and see what does what while I figure it out???? Answer....zero. You think that seller is going to sit in there with him while he "figures it out" in the air? I think not.

The difference is regulations. The requirements to be able to pilot a plane are stringent.....there are none, zero for operating a 26,000 lb. RV/TV combo other than a drivers license that was acquired driving a Prius. Knowing this a prudent prospective RV buyer should do a mountain of due diligence on both the RV and the TV. As we see on this forum and others a handful will do that while the majority just run out, buy something then say "I'm good" having not the slightest clue what they are doing - and don't you dare say otherwise because they read something "on the internet".....or bathroom wall.

I dislike government intrusion (regulations) in my life and would much prefer self policing. Unfortunately the direction our society has taken over the last 2-3 decades that promotes the abdication of responsibility, "someone else" is always to blame....it's not me etc. etc. has lead to a situation where we feel the need to blame "someone", "everyone" but the responsible party....the buyer/owner/operator.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:35 PM   #12
Badbart56

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...09713736809284

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-03-2022, 03:04 AM   #13
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That is probably better then what some people try and tow with

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #14
linux3

Look, all the idiot had to do was hit the brake controller. If he had a brake controller.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Look, all the idiot had to do was hit the brake controller. If he had a brake controller.
Not necessarily. It looks like the tow vehicle is a F150. This is an "often overlooked comment" found in the Owner's Manual:

"• Only use the manual control lever for
proper adjustment of the gain during
trailer setup. Misuse, such as
application during trailer sway, could
cause instability of trailer or tow
vehicle"

With the "computer assisted braking/engine speed controlsactively managing the vehicle and trailer movement" any "operator applied outside braking effort" can predictably cause the onboard computer management to be defeated, increasing the risk of an accident.

If the owner wanted to "just hit the brake controller to correct sway", he'd first have to turn off the vehicle/trailer anti-sway management system....

That's not an easy to do sequence when the "stuff is hitting the fan blades"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #16
linux3

OK, I have a Chevy with factory brake controller and I guess it's different:
I have used the brake controller when driving down a very steep grade.
Guess it's a good reason to buy a Chevy. LOL

Manual Trailer Brake Apply
Lever
Slide this lever right to apply the
trailer’s electric brakes independent
of the vehicle’s brakes. Use this
lever to adjust the Trailer Gain to
achieve proper power output to the
trailer brakes. Under certain
circumstances, this lever can also
be used to apply additional trailer
braking. The trailer and vehicle
brake lamps will come on when
either the vehicle brakes or trailer
brakes are applied and properly
connected.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

From the warmth and safety of my recliner it would be easy to judge and chastise the actions of a driver seen loosing control in such a short clip. But I don’t see enough evedince in that very breif clip to form an opinion and certianly not enough to call the driver an "idiot".

Not knowing what proceeded as the video starts with the driver (he or she is unknown) alreading losing control. There are many possibilities, a mechanical failure? Did the driver have an emergency medical event? Without facts I wouldn't call the driver a "he" much less "idiot" without demonstrating great prejudices.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #18
Balvar24

Looks like a 3/4 ton Ford with a toy hauler. Who knows what's going on. Load shift? Crummy loading to start?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:19 AM   #19
notanlines

Whether pushing on the brake controller on the dash is a good idea or not, those out there with hundreds of thousands (yes even milions) of miles of experience will know immediately that reaching for a knob on the dash or under the steering wheel is NOT the first reaction. By then it's too late. The first reaction for a driver is that brake pedal.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote