Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2021, 04:57 AM   #1
hondapro87

Trailer King RST

My wife and I just got a new fifth wheel, Sprinter 32BH. It came with trailer king rst tires, are these tires a improvement over the old trailer king tires?
I was wondering how long I should run them before changing them out. On our other camper I ran the stock TK'S for a year and then switched to the Endurance.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just an opinion, so take it for what it cost you....

Your trailer has a GVWR of 12,100 pounds with a pin weight of 1735 pounds. The reality is that it's a 2 bath, 37' fifth wheel that's riding on 15" tires.

With this in mind, for calculating purposes, that 12,100 pound "brochure trailer" has 10,365 pounds riding on the axles and 1735 pounds on the pin. Granted, your pin weight will go up as the cargo load is added, but looking at a "worst case scenario" I see the following possibiity:

If the trailer GVWR weight were "evenly distributed over all 4 tires, you'd have 2591 pounds on each tire. Trailers are NEVER that well balanced, so you may have up to 20-25% of that weight shifted to a "heavy side" or a "heavy corner" which could put significantly more weight on one side or on one of the tires....

Your tires (current TK's or any other brand ST tire of the same size) have a maximum weight rating of 2830 pounds at 80PSI. Doing the math, that's 2830-2591=239 pounds of "excess capacity"... 239 pounds is about 8.4% of the tire capacity.

So, on the current tire size, ST225 75R15 LRE tires, you're towing the trailer with a tad less than 10% reserve capacity on the tires (assuming they are equally balanced) and there's a good probability that you're actually running one or more tires in an "overloaded capacity"....

I'm surprised that Keystone is still equipping a 37 foot long fifth wheel trailer with a GVWR over 12,000 pounds with 15" tires, but it is what it is.....

If I were you, I'd look more toward increasing the tire size, either to 15" tires with a heavier load capacity or to 16" tires, either LRE or LRF. Doing either will give you increased tire capacity, something that I'd think is more important than changing tire brand to a "better reputation"....

I think that your existing tire size is "barely adequate with not enough reserve capacity"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondapro87 View Post
I was wondering how long I should run them before changing them out. On our other camper I ran the stock TK'S for a year and then switched to the Endurance.
Towing it home from the dealers lot is already too far in my opinion on those China bombs.
Also as John stated that size of tire/wheel combination is barely adequate to start with & would be looking for some 16" wheels with G rated tires or no less than F rated.
Performance Trailer Braking in the past had some very good deals on tire/wheel combos.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have to agree with the above posts. I look at it a bit differently; I don't subtract the pin weight from my calculations of what the tire has to support. That would all be fine and dandy if the trailer always sat completely level but when traveling it does everything but so at times the trailer tires will be subjected to the entire weight of the trailer..that's what I look at (Keystone does not look at it that way).

With my theory your tires would need to support 3025lbs. each to support the gvw of the trailer and they won't. I too am surprised at 15" wheel/tires being on that size trailer. You need to increase the load capacity of the tires via higher load range or bigger wheels with higher load capacity tires IMO. As far as the TK tires, from the manufacturing plant to the dealer did them in, again just my opinion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
UKLimey

I agree with the above replies. Lost my first Trailer King Tire after only about 50 miles from new. Replaced them with Carlisles.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:08 AM   #6
notanlines

HondaGuy, would you buy a new Chevy Vega if they changed the name to the Chevy Vega RST? I thought not. Any item that starts with the name 'Trailer King' is going to be ----canned.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondapro87 View Post
My wife and I just got a new fifth wheel, Sprinter 32BH. It came with trailer king rst tires, are these tires a improvement over the old trailer king tires?
According to the specs I found for your trailer the minimum certified GAWRs MUST be 5200#. Using that figure with the maximum load capacity for the ST225/75R15 LRE tires shows they are a tad under the RVIA 10% load capacity reserve recommendation.

That designated size tire (ST225/75R15) can be found with a LRF or LRG. The LRG tires will be steel cased and, in a few exceptions, so can the LRF. Your current wheels must have the ability to carry 2830# and be rated for the higher inflation pressures needed to gain maximum load capacities from the LRF/LRG tires. High pressure metal valve stems are recommended.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
HondaGuy, would you buy a new Chevy Vega if they changed the name to the Chevy Vega RST? I thought not. Any item that starts with the name 'Trailer King' is going to be ----canned.

When I first got married, I owned a couple different cars; an Olds 442, then a Dodge Demon 340. The Dodge had a white interior and I found white seats and baby puke didn't work so we bought a 70s vintage (brand new) Vega wagon and it served us well through three overseas tours. It was a great car. When shipping the car back from overseas, the port in Bayonne used straps to lift the car off the ship and ruined the paint on the sides and then dropped the car. It rattled so bad we had to get rid of it. We wold probably still be driving that Vega today otherwise. Folks complained about the aluminum block but we never had any issues. DO NOT BAD MOUTH VEGAS!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
notanlines

George, of all the members on this site, you are at the very bottom of my list of those I would have guessed ever owned a Vega.
I suppose I could have chosen the Triumph Stag!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 12-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

At the point where we were coming home from overseas in the early 80s, I had three rowdy little girls and the Vega had become our "lifestyle". I didn't bring back my motorcycle (to many import complications) so first thing I did was have my wife drive me to a Honda dealer and I bought a CB650 custom, next a GPz, then a Kenny Roberts replica RZ350. I used one of those three bikes for transportation as in Maryland you didn't need a car much. Since I didn't like to ride in the snow, I bought an old VW beetle. It was painted spray can blue. I hated the blue so I bought a case of yellow Krylon and tried to spray over the blue and that was something of a fail. The good thing was I didn't need a security system and could leave the bug parked out on the street and NO ONE would steal it! The VW was the last car I actually would work on. When you turned the heat on, you could get high from carbon monoxide. By that time, the wife drove an 1985 Caprice Classic tudor V8/auto with A/C. Wish we still had that car! White with blue interior.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
George, of all the members on this site, you are at the very bottom of my list of those I would have guessed ever owned a Vega.
In the 1970s when our two boys were in high school, we owned three Cheyv Vegas. They were very easy to work on and a great mechanical training vehicle. We would find them in newspaper advertisements. The ones we purchased were in good to very good conditions except they smoked something terrible. We would by them for a few hundred dollars, drive them home and pull the engines. The engines were very easy to pull because they had aluminum heads and iron blocks. We would pull the blocks and put in piston selves and new pistons; add an oversized radiator and direct temp reading thermostat to ensure the water temp never rose into the danger level. If they didn't have them, we replaced the 1-barrel carburetors with a 2-barrel one; it took the power to 115 HP. We had two red coupes with manual four gear shifting and a dark green fastback automatic.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Badbart56

The only Vega's that I cared for was a couple that some friends put small block V8's in back in the day.

I had a small block 72 Nova back then and I quickly learned a lesson on horsepower to weight ratio. Got smoked! I miss the days when engine swaps were a thing. I guess that's why I like my CTS V so much. Even though the factory did it, it's got the Corvette Z06 engine and 6 speed Tremac sitting where the other CTS's have a V6.

But yeah, I'd rather have a Vega than a Trailer King tire!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Add another one...I had a Vega GT. The only thing GT about it was the decal and maybe the bucket seats. It was a pretty little thing..beer bottle brown/bronze, with white racing stripes front to back and an almost white interior. I think I upgraded the tires, Cibie driving lights, and a performance kit that someone was selling. The kit included different distributor springs and weights, some carb mods, and headers. I couldn't tell much difference. I never had a bit of trouble with it. Sold it after I went to work in the refinery in 1974.
Now a Cosworth Vega...wish I had one now.
Triumph Stag. No thanks. TR6,,heck yes if before the ugly rubber bumpers.
British Motor Company...Triumph, MG, Rover, and Land Rover. All maybe fun and a mechanical nightmare.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
notanlines

"Triumph Stag. No thanks. TR6,heck yes if before the ugly rubber bumpers."
Thanks for that statement! For a minute I thought I was going to have to go back to the Edsel or the Yugo....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 12-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

I owned a 62 Corvair before I got married. Taught my missus-to-be (she was 16 at the time) to drive that thing (stick shift). I learned how to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on a 62 Corvair. Car's wiring harness burned in my Mom's driveway. I learned how to replace an entire harness (nightmare). My favorite moment was when the wheels folded up when you went airborne over a rise. Great car and Nadar was an idiot!
Old 12-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I owned a 62 Corvair before I got married. Taught my missus-to-be (she was 16 at the time) to drive that thing (stick shift). I learned how to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on a 62 Corvair. Car's wiring harness burned in my Mom's driveway. I learned how to replace an entire harness (nightmare). My favorite moment was when the wheels folded up when you went airborne over a rise. Great car and Nadar was an idiot!

I always thought a Corvair was just just what they looked like - pretty homely. Plus seemed like all Corvairs had a hard time getting out of their own way but then - A friend got a Corvair Monza Spyder. Now it still looked "homely" to me BUT he whupped out a couple of nice, long rubber burnouts and I was thinking, "dang, that little squatty thing DOES look pretty sporty!".....
Old 12-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Had a 65 or 66 Monza engine in mine... 4 carb model. Mine was even more ugly because it had several shades of primer gracing its pristine exterior.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Had a 65 or 66 Monza engine in mine... 4 carb model. Mine was even more ugly because it had several shades of primer gracing its pristine exterior.

Ha! My buddy bought an old Ford F100 lifted, long bed 4x4 about 62? model as I recall. Paint was terrible so we "hand sanded" (read amateur) the thing and rattle canned it black....more or less. Looked pretty rough so we called it "the Tarantula". "Almost" met its demise in way deep mud trying to pull a bike we got stuck in an old playa lake (top looks dry but endless mud underneath) ...ahh, the good old days.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #19
gearhead

That last generation Corvair Monza looked pretty good to me. I knew somebody that had one and it would drive pretty good.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #20
mikec557

So I'm minding my own business, sitting in a lawn chair near the Gulf of Mexico, near Pensacola Florida. Then a LOUD BANG. The sidewall blew out of the Trailer King spare tire mounted on the rear bumper of out TT. I looked at that tire before this trip, increased its pressure from 68 to 80 psi. There was no goose egg, no visible defect. It was 2yrs old and never used.

We were lucky to have never needed to use it. (we'd previously replaced the 4 on the axles with Goodyear Endurance). Yes, we should have bought 5 instead of 4.

My suggestion is that you immediately get those Trailer Kings, all 5, off your RV.

And, by the way, there are no Goodyear Endurance tires anywhere near where we were. And, no good substitute. I had to buy a brand new, 13 month old, China bomb just so I would have SOMETHING if I needed a spare on the drive home.

Start looking for your replacement tires NOW.

Ours is ST225/75R15. Probably yours are too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211226_130729501.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	37669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211226_130708880.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	37670  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote