Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Or someone trying to plug a 6" hole with a 3/4" plug

The difference in cost is really negligible and you never have to worry about having enough truck again.
Just gotta know you have a 6" hole or that big plug is just then a waste of money.....and space.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just gotta know you have a 6" hole or that big plug is just then a waste of money.....and space.
Or, insist on an SWR and have to settle for less trailer than you really want. 😁
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #23
jasin1

Thanks to Dan Lockwood for posting this picture in the lets see your rig section
F450 and 350 side by side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7040DA88-E141-4F3B-B4AA-223B51E61ED6.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	33112  
Old 04-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Or, insist on an SWR and have to settle for less trailer than you really want. 😁

That would be correct but then you have to personally decide if the SRW or the "bigger trailer" is more important - that's an individual matter and decision. And, I like those 3/8oz. weights vs the 5 pounders they sell on the coast.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I just did a search on fords website and there is not one f450 within a 100 miles in xlt,lariat or king ranch trim.
found one 2021 platinum 450 63 miles away.
That’s the problem I had when I was looking,thought it would have changed by now
We traveled 250 miles to get our used 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:22 AM   #26
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We drove 400+ miles to get our new F350.

When we first got into this whole RVing thing about 10 years ago I had a 1/2 ton Silverado, I knew it wouldn't work even though the RV dealers said it would so I found a 2003 F250 7.3 and it it did the job as we had a 30" Rockwood 5ver. When we upgraded to a new Crusader 325RES I was over GVWR by about 500lbs as the F250 had a GVWR of 8900. I found a 2003 Duramax 3500 Dually and all was good. Fast forward to a few months ago Duramax needed injectors and we had planned on buying a bigger 5ver early next year. So rather than spend the 4-5K on new injectors I decided to look at a new vehicle as the Duramax was rated to only pull up to a 15.6K 5ver and most of the 5vers we were thinking about were close to that dry. I hadn't bought a brand new truck in around 20 years so I decided to go that route I started looking locally for a F350 all of the local dealers would not budge off the MSRP so I expanded my search out and found a Volume Dealer in Chattanooga that was about $4500 cheaper. After speaking with them we jump in the wifes's car and drove up there and did the deal. It is an XLT but has has the premium package, trailer prep, etc I didn't want to pay for all the bells and whistles, It has 32K 5ver rating so I think I am good to go. OP you had mentioned getting a Lariat for the heated seats my XLT with the Premium Package has Heated Seats. All the talk about turning radius, to me it seem like the turning radius is just fine on my 4x4 F350. To finish my long winded story after buying the F350 we went to a RV show and next thing I know we are buying a New 5ver about a year earlier then originally planned.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:26 AM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yeah i know it’s worth it to travel to get what you want,I’m just surprised that it’s still so hard to find a NEW truck that’s all. A few years ago you could find any new vehicle at all of the dealers around me.
And I’m just talking about around me, as Javi and a few others pointed out when I was looking,I could fly in to get what I wanted in other states.
I’m just ready for the world to get back to normal
Old 04-22-2021, 03:08 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Yeah i know it’s worth it to travel to get what you want,I’m just surprised that it’s still so hard to find a NEW truck that’s all. A few years ago you could find any new vehicle at all of the dealers around me.
And I’m just talking about around me, as Javi and a few others pointed out when I was looking,I could fly in to get what I wanted in other states.
From what I hear and see daily, this is the new normal.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:33 AM   #29
bcintx

Thanks for all of the replies. Thought you might want an update.

As for an XLT - I like leather seats and don't mind spending the money. Also, the dog hair is easier to clean up. Thank you for the suggestion though.

You would think that the internet and online sales and inventory management systems have been around long enough that people would have a good handle on them.

The dealer that is 25 minutes from me that has 8, yes 8, f450 pickups showing on their website has none of them on the ground any longer.

I talked to a guy that has been there for a while (I remember him from when I used to work there 14 years ago). He said that I could order one. It would be a 2022 model, which I understand being that is is the end of April already. Made absolutely no mention about dealing on price. Also, I might see it by October if I ordered it now. Fyi - he was putting in orders for new broncos when the receptionist ask him if he could talk to me for a minute.

Now the 2022 sounds appealing, the dash is supposed to be redesigned to come with a 12 inch screen and sync 4 like the current f150. But then he said that there is supposed to be at least a whole truck refresh if not a redesign for 2023.

I really wanted to drive one to see how it felt, but I guess that will have to wait.
2016 Wildwood 28DBUD - Sold
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcintx View Post

As for an XLT - I like leather seats and don't mind spending the money. Also, the dog hair is easier to clean up. Thank you for the suggestion though.

You would think that the internet and online sales and inventory management systems have been around long enough that people would have a good handle on them.

The dealer that is 25 minutes from me that has 8, yes 8, f450 pickups showing on their website has none of them on the ground any longer.

I talked to a guy that has been there for a while (I remember him from when I used to work there 14 years ago). He said that I could order one. It would be a 2022 model, which I understand being that is is the end of April already. Made absolutely no mention about dealing on price. Also, I might see it by October if I ordered it now. Fyi - he was putting in orders for new broncos when the receptionist ask him if he could talk to me for a minute.

Now the 2022 sounds appealing, the dash is supposed to be redesigned to come with a 12 inch screen and sync 4 like the current f150. But then he said that there is supposed to be at least a whole truck refresh if not a redesign for 2023.

I really wanted to drive one to see how it felt, but I guess that will have to wait.
Some of these places likely keep the trucks on the site hoping you will come down and they can sell you something else. As previously stated I chased one truck around two different dealer locations and nobody could locate it but it was on the site.
Although can’t imagine they would talk a prospective 450 owner into a f150 lol but 350 I could see
Old 04-22-2021, 06:23 AM   #31
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Problem with a SRW is that if you get the diesel, 4x4, short bed, crew cab and all decked out in the Lariat trim, what payload does this type truck have? If you want that stuff, the DRW anything makes sense.
Probably 3600-3800 pounds. My sig rig, though not a Lariat, has 3,400 and change. The newer F series have significantly more.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:31 AM   #32
jfk69

Quote:
I honestly can't fathom why anyone would spend good money for a 1 ton SWR... complete waste of money.
Maybe they don’t want the “hips”, maybe they want to use the drive through, maybe they don’t want to park a half mile out at the store, maybe they don’t want the additional expense at tire replacement time, maybe they have space limitations where they park at home, maybe, maybe maybe.

Because something doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it’s not an excellent solution for many other people. I see far more 1 ton SRW trucks on the road than 1 ton DRW trucks in my part of the world, so they apparently make complete sense to many people.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #33
captcolour

When I bought my F350 DRW in 2017, I wanted a supercab with 8' bed. Shorter truck than the crewcab long bed. F450's are all crewcab. After having the F350 for 4 years, the extra length really isn't an issue and wish I had gotten the F450 for the turning radius. I only use the F350 for towing and occasional around town trips so it only has like 20K miles on it. Won't be upgrading anytime soon, but when I do, F450 no question.

Yes there is a refresh coming. The SuperDuty's lag the F150 usually by a model year.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Maybe they don’t want the “hips”, maybe they want to use the drive through, maybe they don’t want to park a half mile out at the store, maybe they don’t want the additional expense at tire replacement time, maybe they have space limitations where they park at home, maybe, maybe maybe.

Because something doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it’s not an excellent solution for many other people. I see far more 1 ton SRW trucks on the road than 1 ton DRW trucks in my part of the world, so they apparently make complete sense to many people.
I have yet to find a drive-thru that my dually won't fit through.. as for parking a 1/2 mile from the store, that's just silly I park where I want... buying 6 tires... actually kind of funny that that would be the deciding factor on an $80K truck for hauling a $80K 5th wheel...

Not having room to park a dually... okay I can see that and can even think of a few more reasons to buy a SWR... but the truth is I don't like to be forced to compromise and so I rarely do..

Oh... Soccer moms drive duallys around this part of the world... car line at the local grade school is about 25% dually.. and 50% SWR pickups and the rest vans and SUV..
Old 04-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcintx View Post

I don't know what's going on with vehicles at the moment. The lots are beginning to look like RV lots last year. I was actually considering looking into a diesel when we got back this month but to say there is slim pickins' would be an understatement. I did/do not feel like beginning yet another year long quest for a different truck so will just wait.

Like you I've found the websites to be highly inaccurate. My local dealer was showing 8 (EIGHT in a small town) 3500 duallies in stock.....hmmm, they had one.

My Ram has the 12" screen in it and I will be stipulating the 8.4 in the next truck. The 12 is so big it actually takes your concentration from the road for a long time (too long) trying to find the proper icon spread all over the dash vs a smaller concentrated area. Try it out if you haven't.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #36
jfk69

Quote:
I have yet to find a drive-thru that my dually won't fit through.. as for parking a 1/2 mile from the store, that's just silly I park where I want... buying 6 tires... actually kind of funny that that would be the deciding factor on an $80K truck for hauling a $80K 5th wheel...

Not having room to park a dually... okay I can see that and can even think of a few more reasons to buy a SWR... but the truth is I don't like to be forced to compromise and so I rarely do..

Oh... Soccer moms drive duallys around this part of the world... car line at the local grade school is about 25% dually.. and 50% SWR pickups and the rest vans and SUV..
Lol. It’s Texas. Kids there don’t get bikes on their 3rd birthday, they get a truck.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Lol. It’s Texas. Kids there don’t get bikes on their 3rd birthday, they get a truck.

^^^^This would be right!! And, your comment reminded me of a song that speaks to that....

Hope everyone has a great day. I'm just sitting here in the house waiting, impatiently, for normal weather to arrive someday so I can do some yard work.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #38
bcintx

Quote:

I hear you on those points but:
I live a couple of small towns west of the DFW metroplex - lots of space out here.
Even though I just moved into a new smaller house on a smaller lot my driveway is still long enough to park my 36 foot fifth wheel on and not hang into the street. So plenty of room for a big truck.
I don't go through drive throughs anyway. I just prefer to walk inside.
There is lots of room in the parking lot at work.
My commute is a whopping 2.3 miles and 7 minutes.
My wife and I like to take long trips during the summer. (3600 mile round trip planned for Yellowstone this summer and at least 2400 mile trip to Ft. Wilderness next summer.) So more stability while "on the road" sounds desirable.
We are both teachers and work at the same school - this is our only car and car payment.
We don't go into "town" much.

All that to say that many of the reasons that people don't want DRW do not apply and the main reason that people do want a DRW does apply. Besides it should make us ready for an upgrade from our cougar to a montana in the future.

To add to what Javi said; not only do the moms and dads drive DRW trucks around here - there are more than a handful in the student parking lot as well.
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #39
jasin1

Slightly veering of track for a moment ..I’m thinking dual rear wheel drive trucks may have less wear and tear on rear tires? Has that been the case with dually owners? Since the weight is spread out and less likely to have tire roll and flex?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I think all the automobile manufacturers are "focusing their sales management" better (or worse depending on how you view it)...

They used to have the luxury of "lot packing local dealerships" and it cost about the same as storing the vehicles in a central lot around Detroit and shipping them when they sold. Having them on a local lot gets visibiity, having them in a central location limits exposure... So, they built trucks and stored them on the front row of every dealership.....

Now, as competitive as trucks are, people won't buy "the red one" and will special order a "gray one" equipped just like the one that's sitting on the lot... Or, they'll go next door to the GMC dealer and buy "their gray one"...

So, manufacturers are limiting production (partly because of parts availability as well as competition and buyer's being selective)...

You can think of it sort of like Lowe's or Home Depot.... The Lowe's in NYC probably will have a bigger grill/patio furniture section and probably no JD lawn tractors on display while the Lowe's in Chester would probably have two or three times the selection of JD lawn tractors all prepped and ready to sell....

Looking at the east coast metropolitan area, I'd suspect every car dealership sells 20 or 30 times more "compact cars" than "trucks" and maybe only 1 DRW a year while a dealer in west Texas might sell 3 duallies for every Escape they sell.

In the Dallas/Ft Worth metro area, chances are the only DRW trucks a "downtown dealership" sells is commercial/government bid vehicles while a dealership in ElPaso might sell more trucks to private sales than they do cars.

Around here, you can't find a new 4x2 on any dealership lot and I haven't seen a used one in 4 or 5 years... Go to south Louisiana and it's hard to find a 4x4 truck without special ordering it.

Selective marketing to meet the masses not the specific buyer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote