Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
dronning

Disc brake conversion/HydraStar Disc Brake Kit experience

I am closing on a Raptor 413 tomorrow. My tow vehicle is a '21 Duramax so I will have engine braking which is a big plus. Drum brakes never impressed me especially when braking in the mountains so I am looking at upgrading (didn't have a diesel back then).

I am considering the HydraStar Disc Brake Kit. Has anyone installed this kit themselves. It seems pretty straight forward.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
bobbecky

Had our tandem axle Montana upgraded to disc brakes about 1 1/2 years ago and the disc system is great. Ours has the Brakerite actuator, but the rest of the system is pretty much the same as what is shown on the etrailer site. We have 7k axles and Performance Trailer Braking used 8k rotor/hubs with 9/16' studs and the outer bearing is larger than on the 7k axles. The calipers are the Dexter Titans. It is amazing how much better this trailer stops compared with the drums that were on it.
I see the Raptor lists as being 19k GVWR with it being triple axle. Are the axles 7k or 6k? I know it shows 16" G range tires and 8 lug wheels. Are the bearings the same on a 6k axle as on a 7k axle? And, if not, are you going to be able to get the kit for 6k axles if that's what it comes with?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I see the Raptor lists as being 19k GVWR with it being triple axle. Are the axles 7k or 6k? I know it shows 16" G range tires and 8 lug wheels.
7K Dexters, I don't know what size bearings are in them yet.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
bobbecky

If they are 7k Dexter axles, the bearings shown on the etrailer site for their disc brake kits will be the correct ones. You might be surprised at what six drum brakes will do compared to only four like we had did. Good luck with your new rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote